It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising at Ground Zero, a symbol of resilience

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Rising at Ground Zero, a symbol of resilience

www.usatoday.com

Freedom Tower was going to signify America's determination to rebuild quickly and steeply at Ground Zero after 9/11. It would rise a symbolic 1,776 feet, making it the world's tallest building, and feature an asymmetrical spire that evoked the Statue of Liberty's upraised torch.
Fascinated, the city and nation waited. And waited. And lost patience. And interest.

Yet now — after years of redesigns, blown deadlines, bureaucratic snafus and political infighting, and in the midst of a recession when almost no new skyscrapers are planned anywhere — Freedom Tower's frame is almost 20 sto
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
So, after so many years, they are starting to build what once was going to be the Liberty Tower. Even though at first it was said that it would evoke the statue of Liberty, or that it would be the tallest building, it won't be either anymore.

I am a bit conflicted with this. Meanwhile on one hand I agree that it would be a new sign of the strength of America, we all know that we are going through a bad recession, and into a Depression that it is going to be worse than the 1930s great Depression according to experts.

But at the end, it won't stand for anything. It is not going to be named Freedom Tower, it is not going to evoke the Statue of Liberty, nor be the tallest building.

At the end it is going to be transformed into a "possible profitable estate venture".

To me the building shows almost a sign of surrender against those who would wish harm, and destruction against this Great Republic, and I am sad because of it. But I might be wrong.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

But at the end, it won't stand for anything. It is not going to be named Freedom Tower, it is not going to evoke the Statue of Liberty, nor be the tallest building.

At the end it is going to be transformed into a "possible profitable estate venture".

That's a shame, I really was hoping we'd have the tallest building in the world once again. Looks like the UAE will still have us beat.

It should be impressive though, with the spire it'll be the same height as the previous towers, and just a bit taller without the spire. I just can't imagine working there, after what happened to the last structure standing there.

The next time I'm in NYC I'll have to check it out.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
so they are going to build one of the biggest buildings in the world during a bad recession, so its going to be floors and floors of empty space. first of all this building will have a giant bullseye on it, who would actually work there? i wouldnt.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I like the idea of putting parachutes in every office in the tower (and hell, every other office tower in the world).

But yeah, the idea of building a 1700 foot tower is pretty stupid. I would have rebuilt the WTC as like 5 different 800-foot buildings.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well! I can understand that you guys are disappointed about this, but maybe it's better to move on, and focus on some things that is better for the American population & humanity than to build the worlds tallest penis?

Like building good & cheap homes for the recently homeless families?

Or invest in something good for the economy & infrastructure of America?

Don't get me wrong! - I'm a great admirer of your beautiful architecture and buildings in general! but... I think the timing of building a project like this now! would send out wrong signals.

(The world would think like this: WTF - what!! are these guys totally nuts?! - let me get this straight!! - many of their roads & bridges and electricity grid are in shambles & needs fixing - many families from the middle-class are now losing their homes and their jobs when the bigger factories & employers are shutting down operation! - their economy in shambles - schools and hospitals needs repairing - and they need to borrow more money from us in foreign countries to survive, with the most debt ever - and now they want to erect the world tallest penis (Fallos-symbol) as a sign of their success? - wow!! they are even nuttier than I first thought!)

J/K but also some of the truth!

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Tower one will be built to the expected height.

Tower two has to rise at least 20 stories to clear the structure in place.

Tower 3 looks like a hopeless case. Expect it to be scrapped completely.

Harsh times these are for funding.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by johnsky]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The real problem with the Freedom Tower and the new WTC is that after 9/11, most of the businesses that were tenants of the original WTC have moved and acquired new space in Midtown, NJ and elsewhere.

There really isn't much demand for a building that size. I have an office in an old building in Downtown Manhattan. My rent here is relatively expensive; however, I would never be able to afford to move into the Freedom Tower.

Additionally, the type of building that it is, it is built for companies to lease entire floors or multiple floors. This is vastly different from many of the older buildings in Downtown, including but not limited to the Woolworth Building, the Transportation Building, etc...

Even the Empire State Building in midtown was built to accommodate small businesses. You can get a small suite with 1-4 offices in these older buildings.

Modern buildings like the Freedom Tower are not designed to accommodate small businesses. Most of the businesses in lower Manhattan are small law practices, small investing firms, small real estate offices, etc...

The Freedom tower is built for large companies that are willing to pay a lot of money for a prestigious address and need full floors. Those companies have made arrangements after 9/11 to either occupy existing buildings, or they built new buildings. Now, in this recessions, large companies are downsizing, not expanding and don’t need new office space.
7 WTC, which was finished three years ago is only at 85% occupancy, and look at the link below to see the tenants, they are all large companies. Moody's occupies 17 floors.

www.wtc.com...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I just wish it was still going to be 1776 feet tall, I thought that was creative.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I always thought a nice park commemorating the victims would have been the most appropriate action. All this bravado about showing the world we are still number 1 through the building of an even bigger target is silly. It was a terrible tragedy for America and should be remembered as one.

It is more important to help heal the countries mental health and especcialy that of the victims families, survivors and eye-wittnesses, than to try and make some kind of announcement to the world of America's greatness

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
I always thought a nice park commemorating the victims would have been the most appropriate action. All this bravado about showing the world we are still number 1 through the building of an even bigger target is silly. It was a terrible tragedy for America and should be remembered as one.

It is more important to help heal the countries mental health and especcialy that of the victims families, survivors and eye-wittnesses, than to try and make some kind of announcement to the world of America's greatness

I agree about building the towers so high, but a park that big would make Lower Manhattan an unbearably sad place for the next 100 years.

I think something in between is reasonable.

new topics

top topics

join