It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Frees Jailed U.S.-Born Journalist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Iran Frees Jailed U.S.-Born Journalist

www.reuters.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) - U.S.-born journalist Roxana Saberi walked free Monday after an Iranian appeals court cut her eight-year jail sentence for spying to a suspended two-year term.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad last month called for Saberi to be given full legal rights to defend herself and Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said her sentence would be reviewed based on "human and Islamic kindness."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Good news! I am very happy from this...

This womans destiny has raised to some pinpoint at world politics. Its very good that Iran doesnt heat up any motions amongst warmongers, who uses this kind of stories to base their own agendas. Smart move without taking opinion, was she innocent or quilty...

My concratulations to freed journalist, and to their family!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Its all about keeping up appearances.

I'm glad she is free, but I am having a hard time believing the outcome would have been the same if the media didn't follow this story.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Sure - but thats what media really is for - raising issues to public attention, ask questions, demand answers... In this case I think MSM waited totally different outcome.

Good sign from Iranian leadership, no matter what.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Yeah I couldn't agree more. appearance
Why was she arrested in the first place?

What were the charges?

She was convicted and sentenced to 8+ years and now they let her go and some are trying to spin this as a moral victory for Iran

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

For you guys it seems totally the same what Iran does...
and you have stuck to your running graves - "Nothing new from western front"

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
gunna have to agree here

Im happy she is free and my wishes go to all the others who are not and give my other wishes to her family who are going to be more than happy

least its a happy story no matter what view you have about iran this was the right thing to do appearance or no appearance.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Why so sensitive?
Is Iran above criticism? I as a Westerner see criticism of our Governments all day everyday.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
There is a moderate voice in Iran, and you just heard it.

Sure, I am suspect in regards to their ambitions regarding nuclear energy, but that does not mean I view them as evil. They are not crazy like the Taliban, and they are a lot more stable than Pakistan.

When the current president of Iran is out of office, I think the tones will change - they are holding elections soon.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
We get reason why she was arrested:

U.S.-born reporter obtained secret Iran report: lawyer

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's case against U.S.-born journalist Roxana Saberi was based on her acquiring a confidential government report on the U.S. invasion of Iraq, one of her defense lawyers said on Wednesday.

Saleh Nikbakht gave details about the charges against Saberi two days after an appeal court cut her eight-year jail sentence for spying to a two-year suspended term and she walked free after more than three months in Tehran's Evin jail.

www.reuters.com...

- Truth will set us free! - So there was a real reason, but anyway, thanks to Iran to letting her loose - its always a shame to see cute woman suffering.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Latest from this issue:

Report: Journalist jailed in Iran visited Israel

Roxana Saberi, the American-Iranian journalist imprisoned in Tehran, admitted during her trial that she had visited Israel in 2006, her attorney told Iran's Press TV Wednesday. The report has not been confirmed by any other sources.

www.ynetnews.com...

Iran: Obama to free four Iranian "diplomats" as swap for US journalist

According to DEBKAfile's intelligence sources from Iran, the release of US journalist Roxana Saberi Tuesday, May 12, was part of an exchange deal under which Washington agreed to free four senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards intelligence officers captured in Irbil, northern Iraq in January 2007. Defined as "diplomats" by Tehran, they ran terror operations and covert arms supplies from Iran then to al Qaeda and Sunni insurgent networks.

www.debka.com...

new topics

top topics

join