It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Obelisk Monuments in U.S. despite that God forbid them in the Bible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I don't think it's any secret I agree with you on this. As I maintain constantly, a church in the day of Jesus was not called a church, it was called a synagogue, and the church Jesus speaks of is within, not a building. He clearly shows this when he says it is present on earth and in heaven, and what one gains on earth and loses on earth will also be reflected in heaven.

And as heaven and god are within, then what he is talking about with a church is building understanding and wisdom, and wisdom is like something being built upon a rock(matthew 7).

No clue about the chakras and stuff though. I personally think of the church of Philadelphia as being the understanding of the founding fathers, and constitution being the key of david(written in Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love). Which while many of men have tried to shut, they have been unable to, and it has protected many of people from the beast. Although while I am describing physical things, I do not exactly mean physical, I am more talking about the understanding and wisdom behind them. IE: I don't think holding up the constitution is going to be like some physical shield that will stop physical bullets, but the understanding of it can save you from being persecuted and so forth.

I know there was another city called Philadelphia and the others back in those days, but I just can't get over the "coincidence" of all the above, as the known world has certainly expanded and revelation seems to be speaking more about the current time.

But I am pretty open when it comes to revelation, so I leave the door open that I could be taking things a bit to physical in nature.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The reason? Because there ain't anything Christian about the United States of America. Do you think the friggin' Egyptian pyramid on the back of the dollar has anything to do with the Bible?

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Even though church officials in most denominations do NOT want to admit it, Steeples are nothing but phallic symbols of our lords appendage! I know, its not PC but it is true. Sorry if I offend anyone but there is an historical basis for this hypothesis!

Almost the entirety of Christian symbolism is solar/phallic. And yes, nobody wants to admit it!

Originally posted by prevenge
forgive me for not stating my sources.. but I read somewhere that in the dead sea scrolls there lies a "gospel of christ" where he declares somethign to the effect of "you will not find me under brick or wood".. as in not in the church..

You've been watching Stigmata, haven't you? There's nothing about Jesus in the Dead Sea Scrolls. That's actually a quote from Acts 17:24: "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands." So tell that one to the next Christian who wants to drag you off to church.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
As was pointed out above, in the context of the quote, it is graven obelisks that are forbidden. It was common for them to be erected on behalf of pagan gods and then worshiped. This practice became very common after Solomon's reign over Israel and is described much through 1 and 2 Kings. When you read about Asherah poles, these were obelisks that were worshiped. You would worship and sacrifice at the obelisks, many believing Asherah actually would dwell within.

A common practice for Jews when God did something amazing, though, was to erect a pile of stones as a memorial. Abraham did this after the angel stopped him from slaying Isaac, building the monument and calling it Jehovah Jirah, or the Lord Provides (direct translation is the Lord Reveals, but the context and structure causes it to typically translated Provides). The monument was not to be worshiped, but rather as something pointing back to God, giving Him glory by reminding the believer of something amazing He had done. Just as crosses are not graven images or idols because we don't worship the cross. Seeing the cross brings our mind back to Christ, back to God, and hopefully remind us to seek Him more -- not the cross.

When Moses went up Sinai, the Jews built something akin to this -- the golden calf. They said this is your God, and began to worship it. Were that to be the case with the Washington monument, it would severely change it from a reminder into a graven obelisk.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

You're right. A lot of people (Christians!) like to pretend that this is some nation founded on the principles of Jesus Christ (Or something like that). But the fact is, that it isn't. The founding fathers weren't all christians, plenty of them were Deists; George Washington, and Thomas Paine to name a couple.

It's also interesting, if you look in the Vatican. Saint Peter's square I believe, you find plenty of Pagan symbols the most prominent of which are Obelisks. Though they put a cross atop of them.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
reply to post by prevenge

And as heaven and god are within, then what he is talking about with a church is building understanding and wisdom, and wisdom is like something being built upon a rock(matthew 7).

the rock = sacral bone.

No clue about the chakras and stuff though. I personally think of the church of Philadelphia as being the understanding of the founding fathers, and constitution being the key of david(written in Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love). Which while many of men have tried to shut, they have been unable to, and it has protected many of people from the beast. Although while I am describing physical things, I do not exactly mean physical, I am more talking about the understanding and wisdom behind them. IE: I don't think holding up the constitution is going to be like some physical shield that will stop physical bullets, but the understanding of it can save you from being persecuted and so forth.

I know there was another city called Philadelphia and the others back in those days, but I just can't get over the "coincidence" of all the above, as the known world has certainly expanded and revelation seems to be speaking more about the current time.

try imagining the people who gave name to the Pennsylvanian city Philadelphia, understanding the ecclesiastic relevance of that point on earth in relation to that point in the human body. ..
And named it so in accordance..
not on accident or by mistake or coincidence... but with Reason.

also try re-reading all scripture by replacing the terms "god" and "the lord" with the term "The Elohim" (plural) "made man in OUR image" etc..
Gives new understanding.

also another interesting tidbit to chew on is that George Lucas coined the term "Darth" from the french term "D'Aurthur" as in "Like The King" (Arthur) ..

Take a step back and loosely tie in the symbolical prospects of the etymological value of the term "Lord" as phrased "L'Ord" .. as in "of The Order" or "of Order" as opposed to "of Chaos" ..

www.etymonline.com... has it as -
M.E. laverd, loverd (13c.), from O.E. hlaford "master of a household, ruler, superior,"

but if we REALLY step out of the commoner box. .and understand that god and consciousness transcend time, then etymology in itself is reverse-compatible.. living and breathing language that changes.

yeah you can use that reasoning to band-aid bridges to meet your own contemplations' ends but hey.. it makes sense.

but yeah re-read scripture with "The Elohim" saying everything the "Lord" supposedly says..
different way of seeing things.

while I have understanding of the universe as "the ALL" and that there is a Creator, I don't place that Creator outside of myself... or YOU for that matter...

or the clouds..

or the snake..

or the dove..

or the..rock

or the..

-

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Just another one of those monuments thats been missed.

lewisandclarktrail.org...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The occurence of Obelisks, I think, shows a definate freemasonry connection- for example. One of Cleopatras' "neddles", was removed and shipped at great expense from Egypt to London. This exercise was financed by a freemason.
In Sydney Australia, we have an obelisk, complete with egyptian relief sculptures at the entrance to Hyde Park.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
well catholics worship the pope like hes god wouldnt that be a crime, they have statues in his honor that people bow to

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dreaken1993

That's a lie, and I would hope that you know that. No Catholic worships the pope, he is not God in fact far from. He is a man just like another, capable and guilty of sin. Do Catholics admire the pope, sure. As the leading figure in Catholicism one would hope that he is genuine and pious in his beliefs and actions, but that is far from Catholics believing he is perfect.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
www.psalm9416.com...

many bow before his statues and praise him like he is better then everyone else i see that as worshiping

and im sorry if i labeled all of catholics like this but many do

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

but, since that Leviticus wording was way before Islam erected
Mosques

would those 'Minerettes' where the call-to-prayer is sung...
be thought of as those admonished 'Pillars' in the verse you provided ?

that would make those Islamic towers/pillars wicked in the eyes of the OT god...some 1500 years before Mohammed even founded Islam...

....or church spires for that matter.

Gosh, he /she/it sounds like such a loving empathic caring nurturing god without an ounce of jealousy, anger, retribution or fickleness.

sign me up....

...oh wait, on second thought, leave me out of this!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The simple answer to this is that the USA is a modern Babylonia. With New York as Babylon the Great. There is also a spiritual Babylon, but the US represents the physical representation.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
The occurence of Obelisks, I think, shows a definate freemasonry connection- for example. One of Cleopatras' "neddles", was removed and shipped at great expense from Egypt to London. This exercise was financed by a freemason.
In Sydney Australia, we have an obelisk, complete with egyptian relief sculptures at the entrance to Hyde Park.
And what does the obelisk with egyptian relief sculptures at the entrance to Hyde Park in Sydney Australia have to do with Freemasons?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Originally posted by KRISKALI777 The occurence of Obelisks, I think, shows a definate freemasonry connection- for example. One of Cleopatras' "neddles", was removed and shipped at great expense from Egypt to London. This exercise was financed by a freemason. In Sydney Australia, we have an obelisk, complete with egyptian relief sculptures at the entrance to Hyde Park. And what does the obelisk with egyptian relief sculptures at the entrance to Hyde Park in Sydney Australia have to do with Freemasons?

Hi josh, apparently lots.
The Masonic Lodge at Marrickville, NSW; Has a fully decked Egyptian room, for ritual purpose.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Zerbst

This question can be answered fairly simply, the USA is not a Christian nation. It never was. We were founded by Freemasons who teach that Lucifer is the origin of life's knowledge. Likewise the Roman Catholic Church is not Christian either. The idea of one man being the unfallable spiritual and temporal authority is purely pagan. Not to mention the worship of saints, kabbalistic rituals and even their Communion is reminiscent of ancient blood sacrifice. Satan has used the Catholic Church to slander the name of Christ for centuries. That obelisk in St.Peter's square was imported from Egypt. All obelisks are idols modeled after the male reproductive organ used to worship the sun God Baal.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I missed the part where people bow down in worship to the Washington Monument?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
sandstone, is both the world's tallest stone structure and the world's tallest obelisk,[n 1] standing 555 feet 5⅛ inches (169.294 m) in height.[n 2] It is also the tallest structure in Washington D.C. It was designed by Robert Mills, an architect of the 1840s. The actual construction of the monument began in 1848 but was not completed until 1884, almost 30 years after the architect's death. This hiatus in construction happened because of co-option by the Know

These obelisks seem to be quite appreciated in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world. This is strange to me due to the fact that God forbid these structures in the Bible and demanded them all torn down and destroyed?

"YOU SHALL make for yourselves no idols nor shall you erect a graven image, pillar, or obelisk, nor shall you place any figured stone in your land to which or on which to bow down; for I am the Lord your God." (Leviticus 26:1, KJV Amplified Bible)

"When the children of Israel would forsake God, they turned to worshipping idols. One of the idols they worshipped was the obelisk. God had specifically forbidden them to do so ...They were also told that, when they went into pagan nations, they 'shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars (obelisks) and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods and destroy them out of that place. Ye shall not do so unto the Lord your God'. Many other such warnings are also in the Bible. The following references use the same Hebrew word for 'pillar' (obelisk) but it is translated as 'images'. See: Exodus 23:24; 34:13 Deuteronomy 7:5; 16:22; 1 Kings 14:23; 2 Kings 10:26-27; 17:10; 18:4; 23:14; 2 Chronicles 14:3; 31:1; Hosea 10:1-2; and Micah 5:13 ... The Bible clearly states, 'Come out from among them and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will receive you' (2 Corinthians 6:17)."5

I'm not the most religious man around, but it seems pretty clear to me. This country struts around boasting that it's a Christian nation, yet it plainly disregards this obvious request from God? Isn't this a tad hypocritical? How can Christians ignore something that's clearly stated like this, while other less definite translations in the Bible are debated endlessly of their meaning?

I'd like to hear some Christians thoughts about this. Do religious folks pick and choose what commands they obey from God? Does the obelisk rule no longer apply? If so, why not and who said so?

Peace.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...:Obelisks_in_the_United_States

Yes Christians do pick and choose which verses they follow. Leviticus also says that you shall not mix meat and dairy together. So every cheeseburger is a sin. Of course the truth is God would not make up such silly rules and the bible is so full of holes. That's why it is the holy bible. It's like Swiss cheese.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

No, some Christian's strut around and falsely proclaim that this is a Christian nation. The fact is, it is nor was never intended to be, a Christian Nation.

The Founding Father's came from a different era. One where they were ruled by a Christian nation, England and at that time the Anglican Church and before that the Catholic Church. They lived a life where they were pressed into religious observation and duty by the colonial government. They actually lived in and experienced a true Christian Nation and frankly grew sick of it.

Also many of them were enlightenment era thinkers.

The Enlightenment – known in French as the Siècle des Lumières, the Century of Enlightenment, and in German as the Aufklärung – was a philosophical movement which dominated the world of ideas in Europe in the 18th century. The Enlightenment included a range of ideas centered on reason as the primary source of authority and legitimacy, and came to advance ideals such as liberty, progress, tolerance, fraternity, constitutional government and ending the abuses of the church and state.

en.wikipedia.org...

In fact many of the Founding Fathers if alive today would be completely opposed to the view of many modern fundamentalist Christians who are the ones espousing a Christian Nation Doctrine. In fact many of those Christians would more then likely call them liberals and heretics if they met them in the street or a pub.

Benjamin Franlklin one of the principle founding fathers was a proponent of the American Enlightenment Philosophy.

The American Enlightenment is a period of intellectual ferment in the thirteen American colonies in the period 1714–1818, which led to the American Revolution, and the creation of the American Republic. Influenced by the 18th-century European Enlightenment and its own native American philosophy, the American Enlightenment applied scientific reasoning to politics, science, and religion, promoted religious tolerance, and restored literature, the arts, and music as important disciplines and professions worthy of study in colleges. The "new-model" American style colleges of King's College New York (now Columbia University), and the College of Philadelphia (now Penn) were founded, Yale College and the College of William & Mary were reformed, and a non-denominational moral philosophy replaced theology in many college curricula; even Puritan colleges such as the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) and Harvard University reformed their curricula to include natural philosophy (science), modern astronomy, and mathematics.

en.wikipedia.org...

And even later in his life went to Europe and joined the infamous Sir Francis Dashwood's Hellfire club. Not because he was a secret devil worshiper but because the club was a group of enlightenment thinkers that much like LaVeys satanic church, liked to cast aside the superstitious adherence to the bible of fundamentalist Christians of his time.

Thomas Jefferson another principle figure in the founding of America was also a proponent of enlightenment and was the principle motivator behind the separation of church and state.

Jefferson subscribed to the political ideals expounded by John Locke, Francis Bacon, and Isaac Newton whom he considered the three greatest men that ever lived.[202][203] He was also influenced by the writings of Gibbon, Hume, Robertson, Bolingbroke, Montesquieu, and Voltaire.[204] Jefferson thought the independent yeoman and agrarian life were ideals of republican virtues. He distrusted cities and financiers, favored decentralized government power, and believed that the tyranny that had plagued the common man in Europe was due to corrupt political establishments and monarchies. Having supported efforts to disestablish the Church of England,[205] and having authored the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, he pressed for a wall of separation between church and state.

Baptized in his youth, Jefferson became a governing member of his local Episcopal Church in Charlottesville, which he later attended with his daughters.[229] Influenced by Deist authors during his college years Jefferson abandoned "orthodox" Christianity after his review of New Testament teachings.[230][231] In 1803 he asserted, "I am Christian, in the only sense in which [Jesus] wished any one to be."[169] Jefferson later defined being a Christian as one who followed the simple teachings of Jesus. Jefferson compiled Jesus' biblical teachings, omitting miraculous or supernatural references. He titled the work The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, known today as the Jefferson Bible.[232] Peterson states Jefferson was a theist "whose God was the Creator of the universe … all the evidences of nature testified to His perfection; and man could rely on the harmony and beneficence of His work."[233]

Jefferson was firmly anticlerical, writing in "every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty … they have perverted the purest religion ever preached to man into mystery and jargon."[234] Jefferson once supported banning clergy from public office but later relented.[235] In 1777, he drafted the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom. Ratified in 1786, it made compelling attendance or contributions to any state-sanctioned religious establishment illegal and declared that men "shall be free to profess … their opinions in matters of religion."[236] The Statute is one of only three accomplishments he chose to have inscribed in the epitaph on his gravestone.[237][238] Early in 1802, Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Connecticut Baptist Association, "that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man and his God." He interpreted the First Amendment as having built "a wall of separation between Church and State."[239] The phrase 'Separation of Church and State' has been cited several times by the Supreme Court in its interpretation of the Establishment Clause.

en.wikipedia.org...

As you can see both were enlightenment era thinkers and not proponents for the idea of "Christian Nation Doctrine" They of course are only two and were many others involved but I think they accurately illustrate the philosophy and sentiments of the time.

As far as the obelisks. The Founding Fathers admired many ancient civilizations and governments, such as Rome and Egypt and incorporated their iconography all through out Washington D.C. and other areas of the country. They did so as a nod to those great civilizations and also to liken the newly founded America as being their equal and successors in the new world. Also as enlightenment era thinkers they were not bound to blind superstitious adherence to the bible.

In any case that is why Obelisks are found through out or great nation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join