It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Flagging of Threads Has Been Removed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I just did a thread in BAN, and noticed I cannot flag the thread.

If this is because of the new 250 club, in order to prevent non-qualifying members from going back through their own threads and flagging them, then why can't those who have already qualified be exempt from this???

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

You want to flag your own threads to draw attention to them.

Its wrong.

You should receive flags from other members who deem your input of a high quality. Not for simply liking what you yourself have written.

No one gave you enough praise yet ?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
ONly time I ever flagged my own thread, was to check if I could flag my own thread. It's funny, when you see a thread with no replies, and a flag. It screams sadness. If your thread is any good, it will get flagged, innit

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
That's total BS.

I don't flag a fricken thread cause I like what I have written on it. I flag it because I feel the content of what is posted is important. And 99% of the time any thread here is about what others have written or reported on, pulled from a news site or website around the world. My comments on the article in no way shape or form is what is causing me to flag the thread. It is the topic content. WTF. BS. Obviously I do not see flags the same way you guys do. :shk:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I know i read on a thread here somewhere on advice how to post a thread, somebody said 'Remember to always flag your own thread'. Im not sure if thats the official line from the mods or just someone giving advice. I cant for the life of me remember what thread it was in, i think it was something about starting threads for new members.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I flag it because I feel the content of what is posted is important.

if you didn't think it was important you wouldn't have bothered posting it, would you? we know you think it's important, i would always look to the flags to see how important a thread is to everyone else. if everyone flags their own thread it degrades the flag system by at least one flag each.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I flag threads if its an interesting topic and allot of people are contributing good info to it. I would flag my thread if I feel the need for people to read about it!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
maybe there should be a superflag - ie mods can raise the flags by 5 or whatever if 3 or 4 mods agree to it....

link   

I agree with TrueAmerican. If you find something that you feel is very important subject matter and you create a thread on it, I see no reason not to give it a flag as well.

But I can also see why the staff would want to remove that possibility, in order to curtail abuse. Especially with the new 250 club. Otherwise people will start creating loads of pointless threads and flagging them, just to raise their flag count.....

link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

What about if your on everyone ignore list, lol.

What about that scenario?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Self-Flagellation is silly, and I have never understood the purpose.
Of course, everyone will flag their own thread. Taking the "feature" away will have no adverse effect either way.

Every thread will just have one less flag.

[edit on 5/11/2009 by clay2 baraka]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Not at all. I used to post plenty of threads. I did not flag all of them. But this is depriving me from being able to contribute my flag vote on the topic content. And there's only one reason I can see why they would do this, which is mentioned in the OP. It is accusatory in a sense, telling me they don't trust me to make up my own mind about flagging other's content (which is almost always the case since you are posting something written or a video made by another), simply because I brought the content here to ATS. This is BS, and I do not agree with it. And irritatingly so I don't agree with it.

Edit to add:
Case in point: the very thread I just posted that caused me to create this thread, questioning the move:

Stressed out US soldier shoots fellow troops in Iraq

Why would I flag that thread because of my own comments on it, which were minimal? Some army guy just lost it and killed FOUR of his fellow soldiers and wounded 3 more. I felt that was an important topic, and for many reasons, which will be told later as more info comes out on this. I wanted to flag it. I can't. It sucks.

[edit on Mon May 11th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
the point is for others to flag it.
you cannot star your own posts and never have been able to..doesn't matter really.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I agree with you, I flag my own threads, hell I advertise my threads (see my sig). Not because I am narcissistic, but because I want to 'jump start' them into getting attention. Because I feel what I post needs to get out, thus I take great time in creating my threads, they are not some poorly thrown together crap you know.

I can't believe some members are still upset about this........I would have thought the members on ATS would act differently. LOL, I am sure I will get flamed for this......

[edit on 5/11/2009 by jkrog08]

[edit on 5/11/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I too flag all my threads.

Surely this should be allowed.

If say, you were placing a message on a notice board, you would want yours to be noticed eh?

So why has this changed?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
the point is for others to flag it.
you cannot star your own posts and never have been able to..doesn't matter really.

Unless you are a Moderator, of course.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
So I have just been told we can no longer flag our own threads....

I must say even though I understand that the staff at ATS must try to balance out the wants of all the members; That I highly disagree with this move.

I realize me arguing against it it mute as the decision has already been made and I trust and respect the decision of staff here. But I felt I must voice my objection.~Justin

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Absolutely wrong. NOBODY can star their own posts and now nobody can flag their own threads.

It's way too much work and way, way too much strain on the HUGE db that is ATS to insulate the "250 club" members from the no flag rule is why it won't happen.

The reason the feature was removed was exactly to avoid those who start meaningless threads only to flag them to achieve what is meant to be a reward for adding great content.

Why anyone would consider that "accusatory" is just beyond me.

Springer...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yeah, so maybe it's not accusatory. I'll apologize for that. I now see the problem with extra strain on the database, and the fact that in order to implement the 250 club, self-flagging has to go. I just wish there were a way to do it where I could still cast my flag vote on content I bring here. If there isn't, then there isn't. I guess that vote will now have to be cast by making the decision to bring the content here or not. I'll deal with it.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
theres always a loss to every gain, ying yang and so on.....

the gain is the '250 club' as I've seen its now called, this a positive thing, it will bring about more constructive threads, I've noticed that if an OP is written and researched well then usually the thread carries on in that way.....

the negative to the new rules being you can't flag your own thread.

but hey its only one flag, its really not going to make that much difference

one of my worries when the 250 club started was that we were going to get inundted with completely pointless threads started solely to give oneself a flag.................

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join