It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Syrian capital 'rocked by blasts'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Syrian security forces clashed with a "terrorist band" late Tuesday (at around 1600 GMT) in Damascus, Syrian television reported after explosions and gunfire were heard in a neighbourhood where Canadian and other foreign diplomats live and work. Al-Jazeera reported that car bombs were used in the attack and that heavy exchanges of gunfire were continuing late into the night.

BBC News story

A Syrian political analyst, Imad Shuaibi, told The Associated Press he had learnt that two men "attacked with hand grenades and gunfire near the Iranian and Canadian embassies." One was killed and the other was captured, he said.

Al-Jazeera reported that car bombs were used in the attack and that heavy exchanges of gunfire were continuing late into the night. Al-Arabiya quoted a witness saying more than 15 explosions were heard.

The Foreign Office says on its website that there is a high threat to Western, including British interests, from terrorism in Syria. It advises against all non-essential travel to Qamishli and the north-east provinces of Syria.

Syria has been on the US State Department?s list of terror-sponsoring nations for its support of groups like Hamas and Hezbollah that attack Israel.

Damascus says that the anti-Israeli groups are not terrorist, and that it has an interest in fighting Islamic extremist groups like al-Qaeda.

TimesOnline

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Strange, It's about 2 hours 20 minutes past the time of the alleged blast but no other news services have picked it up. Did the BBC blow another one?

If this did happen, it's something big. Terrorists (assumed) bombing one of their allies.

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by CommonSense]

OK, AP just posted the story. I wonder why it took 2 1/2 hours?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
They just said on the TV news, last time there was an attack 20 years ago. They said it is unheard of it, security is so tight.

All the nut-jobs are going to try something all at the same time.

I know we can be hit at anytime, but I am glad we are water-locked. North america and south as one is water-locked. Harder to be attacked.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Fallujah just erupted, 15 to 20 blasts.

Still breaking

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Fallujah just erupted, 15 to 20 blasts.

Still breaking

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by SpittinCobra]

THANKS!

I added it to ATSNN

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
From everyone's favorite, debka.com:

Casualties now reported after up to 15 bomb blasts and heavy shooting rock western al Maza district of Syrian capital Damascus Tuesday night. Syrian security forces cordoned off area. Damascus hospitals placed on the ready. Situation still unclear.

Damascus TV interrupted broadcasts for official announcement that Syrian security forces have clashed with "terrorist band" and situation under control.

DEBKAfiles sources add: Initial accounts indicate British ambassadors residence, Canadian and Saudi embassies in W. Damascus targeted in series of terrorist attacks by car bombs and squads firing machine guns and grenades, recalling al Qaedas mixed bombing-shooting attacks in Saudi capital.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
They're getting more and more bold where thry choose to attack. I can somewhat understand the attemptt in Jordan given its friendly history with the US, but Syria? Wow! Unfortunately, I think the time is very short for further attacks here and in Europe. The attack(s) here will be purely out of hatred. Europe probably more out of spite, "See, we told you not to help the Americans!"

How are we going to stop them?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I wonder if they are trying to unite the rank and file/ common muslim against the rulling parties in all of these countries?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Whoa. This is shocking. I heard it on the MSNBC a few mintues ago and here it is already on ats, you guys are freaking amazing blazing with the news

If these attacks prove anything they prove that there is a difference between supporting Hamas and Hezballah and supporting al-Qaida. Wonder how this news is going to be viewed by the Bushies and if they will issue a sympathic message to Assad the the Syrians. Syria being attacked goes counter to their "supporter of terrorism" argument.

For more on Syria check out Agent 47's thread.
Iraq unloading WMD into Syria

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
quote: HowardRoark
I wonder if they are trying to unite the rank and file/ common muslim against the rulling parties in all of these countries?

I definitely think that's what they're trying to do. A big problem is that all schooling is based on learning Islamic law. Obvviously this brainwashes kids. The royal families are viewed about just as bad as Americans. They're seen holding all the wealth while many, maybe most, live in abject poverty. Since it's the royal families that are in control and carry out international trade, they are seen as collaborators with us.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

DAMASCUS (Reuters) - Syrian security forces found a cache of arms and explosives in a raid in an upscale Damascus district where police earlier clashed with terrorists, Syrian television reported on Wednesday.
Syria's state-run TV showed footage of a room in which rocket-propelled grenades, gas cylinders and bags of yellow powder were stored. It said the makeshift depot was used by the group that launched an attack in the diplomatic Mazze area on Tuesday evening, detonating a car bomb and exchanging fire with police.

more

EDIT: did a search on Google.
Apparently nitrated sulphuret of potash
is known as yellow powder.

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by AceOfBase]

top topics

join