It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not funny: Barack Obama laughs at Wanda Sykes "joke" about wanting Rush Limbaugh dead

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
How can a person be wrong for laughing? Maybe it does revel his own personal bias but he did not say "Gee... I hope that happens!"

In fact if is to feel guilty for all the things we think inside our heads than most of us would be guilty all the time, it is what we do in reality that makes the biggest difference.

And If someone else is to have us feel guilty for our thoughts than I say "thought police!".
Maybe you ask whats wrong with being a "Emotion Nazi" and might reply.. EVERYTHING, dosnt that make me one as well?

So bahhh. It is funny, and it is funny he would laugh and people would get upset, and it is funny Rush would say he hopes Obama should fail, and it is funny people would get upset at that!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
it's a joke.
deal with it

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Not funny? That was hilarious. I'm glad to know that our president has a sense of humor. I with everybody had such a blessing (not pointing fingers)...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm a white guy that would vote for Ron Paul. That said, the joke was pretty funny. The only problem is if Rush said the same kind of joke about Barry there would be hell to pay. That's all I'm saying, double freaking standards.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by evo190]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by evo190

That's because Rush wouldn't be joking...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Where was Janet Napolitano during this?
Probably out making another list or prepping the FEMA camps

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It amazes me the amount of people who are ready to basically hang Obama for laughing at a joke. I know I have heard jokes that werent really funny to some but I couldnt help myself from laughing. A comediennes job IS to make people LAUGH. They take shots at everything and everyone ESP ones they know will get the most rise out of people.
People keep calling him classless lately and it's really starting to get annoying IMO. Just because he doesnt act the way others have acted doesnt mean a thing IMO. I dont really get too involved with Obama talk because it's a touchy subject with many people I know. I dont care if he laughs at jokes or buy's the Queen an iPod or eats at a local restaurant or orders pizza from another area and so on.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The concept of tolerance and context seems to escape the intelligence of the general telehuman.

Look up the word "COMEDY" then "CONTEXT" then relax.

If he did not laugh, or looked uncomfortable someone would extract some different theory and subjective assumption about that too.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

His reaction was authentic and appropriate in my opinion. In context to the event and the speakers normal type of speak, I saw nothing to indicate our president was anything but amused.

If you have seen Sykes before you know her style of comedy. She was invited for that very style of levity and comedic material.

I don't wish bad for anyone. Even dysfunctional people like the comedians target. Yet, I laughed because it reflected some things we know about Limbaugh that show him as hypocritical and politically caustic himself.

Like the arts are supposed to be, comedy in this case can reflect the sense of our collective attitudes and observations. Sometimes like graphics will exaggerate for dramatic visual impact, comedy will exaggerate for graphic representation of an opinion that might be popular but unspoken. And a good laugh too of course.

All in all we need to practice tolerance in our general awareness, understand better the contexts and cultural landscape. If we however continue to micromanage such events and promote such miscategorized contexts you yourself might someday be arrested and detained for a momentary human reaction voiced in earshot of someone like yourself who would judge you without objective intelligence.

I would deny such ignorance.

ZG

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wow, really? This made the news?

Good gosh, Americans are turning into a bunch of stiffs without a sense of humor.

Funny or not, it appears to me that Obama was laughing out of kindness rather than out of hilarity.

Rush Limbaugh has said the most vile things on television that are considerably worst than "I hope his kidneys fail." Oh and guess what? They were NOT in a comedic context. And guess what else? They didn't make headline news.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
it was pretty funny.

obviously if wanda sykes is there then people are going to laugh.

she said the hijaker joke, asked if it was too much, saw the crowds reaction, then pulled the kidney failure line. that might have been too much, but still its wanda! she always does that!

theres a line that if you cross it, sissies will cr.......

ZOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM

she's gone! guess that answers that!

he could have had a little more composure i guess by sitting upright in his chair, then looking at her slightly out of the corner of his eye, then sneaking a formidable smirk, then SHIFTY EYES!!!!!

DUN Dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

possibly followed by a BWUAUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

that would be sweet if it did happen, but alas, it was only joke time, so he laughed like everyone else did.

rush sucks tho for real. i cant believe anyone considers him someone to listen to. i remember seeing him on tv forever ago, and he has gone downhill since, and resorts to picking fights with people for ratings like jerry springer.....

i think the world will be fine, especially since our president knows how to take a joke.....

and no i didnt vote for him or mccain... paul supporter

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think it makes it even funnier when you get a bunch of up tight conservatives running around like chickens with their heads cut off every time someone makes a joke about their little ( ok chubby) Rush.

Really though. You guys look like Borat when he goes to comedy school.......

Just remember to keep a straight face the whole time you are "outraged".

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
What did Rush have to say?

Limbaugh avoids Sykes catfight

www.washingtontimes.com...

Conservative talk-show host Rush Limbaugh took the high road Monday following Wanda Sykes saying he is a terrorist and making other acerbic comments about him during a comedic routine at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner over the weekend.

Talk-radio fans and political junkies buzzed in anticipation about what Mr. Limbaugh might say on his national, three-hour radio show.

looks like Rush was more interested in Dick...

Instead of retaliating against Ms. Sykes, Limbaugh spent much of the show praising former Vice President Dick Cheney, who on Sunday was much kinder.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by HolydarknessVA

Now I have no issue against wanda sykes comedical bits but i do have a issue when the leader of a free nation laughs at a joke that implies death to a citizen of his nation even tho they may have diffrent opinions .

I apologize in advance if this was posted elsehwere I did a quick seach and didnt come up with anything.

blog s.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I thought she said she wished Rush Limbaugh's kidneys failed...........there is a big difference.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by aero56

Originally posted by HolydarknessVA

Now I have no issue against wanda sykes comedical bits but i do have a issue when the leader of a free nation laughs at a joke that implies death to a citizen of his nation even tho they may have diffrent opinions .

I apologize in advance if this was posted elsehwere I did a quick seach and didnt come up with anything.

blog s.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I thought she said she wished Rush Limbaugh's kidneys failed...........there is a big difference.

And there is a differance from wanting Obama to fail and wanting America to fail.

Obama supporters can't see it, why do you want Rush supporters to see the differance in this?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
It is a joke. People laugh when some one tells a joke and it is funny. I have laughed at some pretty vulgar jokes before and I bet you have too.

So far the biggest complains I have seen against Obama are the gifts he gives to people, and now he laughed at a joke..... Come on, can not one person find a real issue to take up with Obama? If not, perhaps it is time to rethink your position.

Don't forget cheeseburgers... Hannity and a bunch of the other nutjobs acted like he'd said "let them eat cake" over that one.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So what if it was a joke.

She went on a hate filled rant about Rush with a few bad jokes mixed in and President Obama laughed.

Rush does this on a daily basis and the same people who gripe and slam Rush are saying that this is okay. If Rush had said he hoped that Obama gets lung cancer as a joke, you guys would be the one complaining and the Rush supporters would be the ones saying that it was a joke.

I don't see the differance.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

His reaction was authentic and appropriate in my opinion. In context to the event and the speakers normal type of speak, I saw nothing to indicate our president was anything but amused.

I agree with you ZeroGhost. God forbid if we couldn't show are true emotions. We'd all be a Bunch of 'Pod People'!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well... he could have been laughing at the ridiculousness of it.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Lifted from my response in another like thread:

I'd be remiss not to ask the groaners who are complaining about the political satire at the WH Correspondents Dinner, how do you like it when the shoe is on the other foot? ( At least none were thrown.)

The complaints of poor humor and defense of Rush Limbaugh remind me of that clear liquid that oozes from a bottle of mustard before the good stuff comes out. Little substance.

ON TOPIC:
IMO, the Wanda Sykes comedy routine was pure comedy gold and the reactions to her humor involuntary.

REGARDING HER STYLE OF HUMOR:
"If something stinks, I say it stinks. But I try to massage it a little and not be as cutting, come behind it with a joke: Hey, I cut you deep, but now let me put a couple of stitches in you." - Wanda Sykes

Mission Accomplished...Regards, KK

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HolydarknessVA

I think it's hilarious. I would have laughed too. Rush is a, well I can't say on here, but think of a lot of curses words and you'll get the idea.

He's a hypocritical gas bag, prescription overdosing, torture loving, low life dirt bag.

That's my two cents.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join