It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not funny: Barack Obama laughs at Wanda Sykes "joke" about wanting Rush Limbaugh dead

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
What about orphans or those who were raised by someone other than their parents?

As far as I'm concerned, whoever raises you is your parent, blood relative or not. Since most orphans are raised by carefully selected parents, I would fully expect orphans to be among some of society's best people.

Ummmm. The same place where "decent" morals or social standards originate from? Our heart, our mind, our soul? Human deceny?
In my case, guilt is the guardian of my goodness.

I kinda figured you'd go a little John Lennon on me at some point, but that's ok
. To me, human decency is a learned condition, that's why the children of wife beaters are the most likely to beat their own wives in later life.

I do entirely accept that some people are born bad, sometimes through a chemical imbalance or "wiring" issue, and sometimes for reasons none of us can understand, such as the Leopold and Loeb case of 1924.

I think you and I actually see alike, albeit from a differnt perspective or perception of reality formed by our unique life experiences. Much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It would seem discussion of Religion and Politics have always been polarizing topics. I suppose, in your case, we should now add comedy.

I'd have to agree with all your points. I think our opinions are also colored by our personal preferences, I'm sure you dislike Limbaugh as much as I dislike any liberal agenda (and those who preach it).

Thanks for the intelligent debate though, it's something I'm not accustomed to on here.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Retseh]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd

i can't believe you're taking something that comes from a comedian seriously!

She's there to joke. She's there to exaggerate.

So do you think all the black folks in Michael Richard's Laugh Factory audience were overeacting when they found his comments derogatory and racist? You just said you can't believe someone else is taking something so seriously that came from a comedian! You can't apply that line of thinking to Wanda Sykes and then go and say "well that doesn't apply to Michael Richards because ..."

Just because someone wears the nametag of "comedian" doesn't give them a free-for-all pass at saying anything they damn well please. There's a line of decency and good judgment and Wanda Sykes went WAY overboard on all counts ON PURPOSE because she knew she was catering to a room full of liberals. You know it and I know it.

Lighten up??? Hardly! I'm hoping Obama does the RIGHT thing and bans this no-talent hack (Wanda Sykes) from ever performing at a government-related function again!

[edit on 12-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

In the Presidents world it is. Not just BO. But if you saw the footage of his laugh you can tell it in fact was a controlled response. Wich is no surprise.

Its good to compare this to Rush's comments about MJ Fox's health. But he didnt have a supposed "uniter" smirking in the seat next to him.

Even though the smirk was forced.

The right isnt helping in trying to keep bipartisanship. but BO was suppose to be beyond all of this

**maybe it wasn't forced, but he seems nervous and aware of the cameras, just somthing nobody else on here seems to have noticed**

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Mailman]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Michael Richard went off the rails. He admitted that. That wasn't part of his act.

You are comparing two completely different things.

Perhaps you can come up with a better example that is a more "apples to apples" comparison?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

He admitted it after "Reverand" Sharpton got all his brothers and sisters together and made a big deal out of it.

Like Don Imus he was forced to apologize.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
lol that Rush Limbaugh is an idiot I wouldn't blame Obama for laughing at that though cuz of what he said even though that is pretty f'ed up

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Michael Richards?

There's a big difference between someone going crazy and out of character, vs. someone setting up a joke.

There's also a big difference between being objectionable and questioning authority and just plain out being an ignorant conformist who indoctrinates what Fox News tells them.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
OK, I realize this is a bit off topic. (although the word joke does appear in thread title) After 10 pages it is obvious we will continue to be divided on this topic and no one swayed.

So in an effort to find common ground, I kindly submit:

Person #1 Knock, knock.

Person #2 Who's there?

Person #1 Control freak. NOW YOU SAY CONTROL FREAK WHO?

I suppose that IS funny to anyone EXCEPT Control Freaks. Perception my friends.

Hopefully we can get back to discussing the really important matters, like:
Swine Flu (nothing to sneeze at)
UFO's (was Mork & Mindy the beginning of disclosure?)
Is Barack Obama the Anti-Christ? (why can't he quit walking on water and just swim like everybody else?)
Is Rush Limbaugh really "that guy?" (that they always show from the neck down during those news stories on obesity)

Regards...KK

[edit on 13-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think barry laughing at this NON JOKE is Heartfelt, Rude, Crude and Socialy Unacceptable but not in the least bit surprising. He knows Rush (like him or not) has a very lot of followers and I believe this makes the finisher nervous; as it should.

The man disrespects us Daily all over the world!
He's just showing his true colours and they aren't Red White and Blue ...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
I think barry laughing at this NON JOKE is Heartfelt, Rude, Crude and Socialy Unacceptable but not in the least bit surprising. He knows Rush (like him or not) has a very lot of followers and I believe this makes the finisher nervous; as it should.

The man disrespects us Daily all over the world!
He's just showing his true colours and they aren't Red White and Blue ...

and after that, here on the fox news channel!

We go fair and balanced into the secret muslim world of Barack Obama. Meet the gypsy lady who claims to be his gateway to the lord of darkness, Satan, himself!

Seriously.

It was a joke.
If you took yourself 1/2 as seriously as you took hatred for someone across the aisle, you might see this.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Fremd]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

Wishing someone's kidneys to fail is never funny in my book ...
It's a Terrible thing.
What she said is not funny and our President laughed!
He should have more class than that.
Shame upon him ...

[edit on 13-5-2009 by AmericanDaughter]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AmericanDaughter

So then would you also say that laughing about sending troops to die for a false cause is not funny?

how about 'joking' about assassinating Obama like that fox news journalist did?

See, the difference is - Wanda Sykes told a funny joke that a lot of people agree with. You can say "it wasnt funny" all you want, i thought it was funny as hell....and what makes it so funny is that a lot of people agree with it.

But saying that it was wrong of him to laugh? You can't control the impulse to laugh. You can see it very apparent in his face....as he almost immediately corrects his stature.

He knew people like you were going to be bashing him for it. And fortunately for you - we live in a country where you can ridicule him without being beheaded or having your tongue cut out.

By all seriousness aside, it was a joke.
If you didn't laugh, oh well.

I did.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

NO SIR! Wrong! The two people are comedians! Why are you taking what Richards said so seriously??? Richards isn't a racist, he was just reacting to how some black people were treating him in the heat of the moment. You need to LIGHTEN UP.

You see? I can rationalize the behavior just like you're trying to do with Wanda Sykes. The two people are both comedians, they have a mouth, they opened it and they both went TOO FAR.

I don't know what's more pathetic - your attempt to rationalize Sykes' behavior in favor of your own vendetta against Limbaugh or your failure to adhere to your own set of standards that you try to pin on everyone else.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I don't know what's more pathetic - your attempt to rationalize Sykes' behavior in favor of your own vendetta against Limbaugh or your failure to adhere to your own set of standards that you try to pin on everyone else.

or option #3

People like you who create your own arguments and facts to make others look wrong.

Wanda Sykes saying

"mr president, i realize you're all into this transparency thing, but i dont really need to see your nipples"

is a joke

michael richards calling a bunch of obnoxious audience members "n-words" is not a joke.

You refuse to recognize the difference because it makes you wrong.

I figured you'd be used to that by now

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just for fun and the sake of objectivity, I did a quick review of a few threads back in 2006 when Stephen Colbert hosted the same function while GWB was prez.

HERE'S A CLASSIC:

Boatphone: The problem was that Colbert's speech was crass, rude, and meanspirted. It was just shameful, if in fact you read up on it Colbert's speech didn't get many laughs at all...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My how times change.........not.

Regards....KK

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

Oh yeah, you picked the ONE obvious joke from her diatribe to come back with. How about this line:

"'I hope Obama fails' .... I hope his kidneys fail! How about that?"

Yeah, that's a real knee slapper. You know what I see when she says that? I see a pissed off black woman retaliating in a flash of anger to something a white man said. Not only did he say he hopes the first American black president fails (he was clearly talking Obama's Marxist policies), he said it on NATIONAL talk radio! HOW DARE HE!! (sarcasm off)

It's NO DIFFERENT than what Michael Richards did. Richards got angry that people were interrupting his show and then he realized they were black folks so he started in with the racist comments. The only difference is how long the two 'comedians' went on. Sykes ended her little hate-fest with that one sentence and Richards kept rambling on until he was pulled from the stage.

You can go on wishing I was wrong about this, but I know I'm not. There's a clear double standard here and your hate for Limbaugh clearly paints your eyes with a bias.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Honestly. How can you accuse someone of being filled with bias and sport that nifty Avatar?

I kindly suggest you print your post, place it under your pillow tonight and pray for a visit from the truth fairy.

Not that Fremd needs any help from me.

Back On Topic:

I think Mr. Limbaugh got a taste of his own medicine.
(Just not the prescription kind he's so fond of.)

Regards...KK

[edit on 13-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Fremd would say his avatar depicts the truth and I would say the same about mine. My avatar is a direct beef with Obama's Marxist policies. Do you see me railing against Obama in this thread? No.

I personally don't listen to Rush because even though I think he's right on many of the issues, I also think he's too full of himself. But that's not to say I'm going off the other end of the slippery slope and wishing kidney failure on him, either. You don't see us wishing that kind of harm on Keith Olbermann even though I think that guy is totally wrong on just about everything he opens his mouth on.

You might have a point about bias if my avatar had Rush Limbaugh or Wanda Sykes in it, but it doesn't. The avatar of Fremd does.

So point were you trying to make, anyway?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
reply to post by kinda kurious

Do you see me railing against Obama in this thread? No.

In this thread no, I have not.

So point were you trying to make, anyway?

My point is that you have been quite clear in many threads for your disdain for President Obama. You have ridiculed and minimized his message of "hope." Now all of a sudden, someone has a "wish" and you give it the prominence of validity. I would think "wishing and hoping" were of equal non importance in your book. I suppose it all depends on what furthers your cause. And BTW, it was in jest. Speaking of organ failure, I suspect it applies to brains as well.

Your serve.

Regards...KK

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Wanda Sykes is a horrible comedian. Shes not funny, but at the same time who cares what she thinks about some fat pill popper? This not news.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join