It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Most Dangerous Mission Ever, set for tomorrow 5/11/09- being stranded in space possible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This mission raises a lot of questions in my mind about the state of our space technology.
I have been under the assumption for quite some time that the shuttle program was just a "cover" to show we have a space program the public is aware of. I thought the real space program was being done with "saucers" reverse engineered from alien technology.
That they would do a mission like this with the shuttle instead of with some of the top secret craft I have assumed exists...begs the question of whether my assumptions are correct. I would think it would have been easy enough to do a "wow we managed to correct the Hubble problems with ground control" after it was fixed using something from one of the "black" programs.
Secrets are one thing..but risking the lives of several astronauts for a mission like this seems a little extreme...IF other technology really exists to do the mission.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

The threat from orbital debris is more severe now.

NASA plans to launch the shuttle Atlantis to the Hubble Space Telescope on May 11, though the agency has said the increased space debris environment at the iconic observatory 372 miles (600 km) above Earth is one of the mission's top risks.

Source

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
You guys talk about the rush to repair Hubble! The fact that hubble is not only a telescope but a spy satellite as well, doesn't come into the equation? Maybe the lasers or nukes on board it need repairing and the excuse is they have to change the batteries!!!!!

lol NASA have come out with so many excuses over the years I don't know what to believe.

I would love to see evidence of nukes on board and how you know this.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I hope that Atlantis can do a sucessful mission, but I do feel sad about it. The last time that man will be able to touch the Hubble Space Telescope. It is a greta pity there is no way they can bring it back down to Earth. Any chnace you yanks can persuade Obama to cancel an entire days wages for every pen pusher and save enough to bring that might machine down safely?

It would be a travasty to humanity to let it burn up. If NAsa burns the Hubble up, I will file a class action suit against them.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Other stuff going up in space same time frame, ESA May 14.

"Launching on May 14, the European Space Agency's Planck satellite will enable us to find out what happened just fractions of a second after the big bang by examining the cosmic microwave background in exquisite detail. Cosmic microwave background (Plnck/ LBNL/SSC)" (Source)
< br />

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon May 11 2009 by Jbird]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by arcnaver

Originally posted by stevcolx
You guys talk about the rush to repair Hubble! The fact that hubble is not only a telescope but a spy satellite as well, doesn't come into the equation? Maybe the lasers or nukes on board it need repairing and the excuse is they have to change the batteries!!!!!

lol NASA have come out with so many excuses over the years I don't know what to believe.

I would love to see evidence of nukes on board and how you know this.

Watch the documentary entitled 'Secret Space Volume 1'

The experts there say the hubble telescope is a spy satellite as well. Not sure about nukes but I'm sure it would have some kind of laser technology on it!!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
its on tv...... the science channel is running hubble live today and also on nasa tv not sure about cnn fox etc.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Thank you QA. Very informative. S&F for you. I don't watch tv and my internet use is limited to work so could you let me know how this goes. Please and thank you

Ahroun

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hey - for all who are using windows vista or 7 I've just stumbled across quite a cool little desktop gadget - it just shows whatever is on the NASA tv feed in a small little window on the desktop - then you can r/click it and zoom it in and other stuff.

Well it made me happy, but I'm easily pleased.... I got it on this page down the bottom - but you may have to search around a bit - I think they get ranked by number of downloads.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The astronauts have arrived to the launch pad in the astrovan.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
They are in the white room, putting on the suits.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Commander is strapped in!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Aw come one people, how is this a conspiracy?

It has been in the papers for a week at least. And as stated its an old mission.

This is the fifth and last service mission for Hubble, it was supposed to go off last fall but was delayed due to technical problems.

They are doing five spacewalks and are going to repare instruments that are out of order, install new equipment, replace batteries and gyroscopes, change the computer and other hardware.

It is a risky mission though considering all the space junk at that altitude.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Sambell]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
There is defnitely something else going on with this nasa mission. Why the heck is this mission so DANGEROUS?????? Its not any different from other blast offs.... unless there is something they're no telling us. 2 shuttles ready....yeah right. What is really going here? Is someone planning on shooting them down when they get up there? Somethings rotten in denmark, and NASA most certainly CANNOT be trusted.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WonkoTheSane

Because they are going farther out in space with more "space junk" hazards - instead of the 250 miles (somewhere around that number) out they are going 375 miles (somewhere around that number) out. So they will be getting into fields of junk.

What I want to know - is if something happens to them and the other shuttle crew has to go rescue them, couldn't something happen to the other crew too - by them entering the space junk fields?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have heard about this for a while, but I also live 10 mins from the Cape so I meet alot of people who work there at my job. I will be outside with a camera and binoculars.
I too wonder why they would risk their lives for something like this. I hope everything goes great and they return safe and sound. I will be watching it on the NASA station we have here too. I will have my friend record it on her DVR as well. Thanks for the information!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well if you believe there going up there to fix hubble, then you guys are alot more stupid than i first thought..

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Again here is the NASA Tv site - they are strapping them in the shuttle now - a very cool view.

link: www.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Forgive my ignorance, but is that link a live feed, or is there a delay so they can censor any material?

I'd love to watch a launch, you lucky bugger mblahnikluver

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

if you're in South Florida, listen carefully, you'll probably hear the sonic boom and might see actually see the shuttle if the sky is clear to your north at the time of launch. We saw the last launch, not great a view or anything, but it was still cool non the less. I wonder if we have any members up the florida coast that could snap some pics?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join