It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Bans 9 Chemicals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

UN Bans 9 Chemicals

news.yahoo.com

GENEVA (AFP) – Nine chemicals, including headlice treatment lindane, have been added to a list of poisonous substances that are to be eliminated under the Stockholm Convention, the UN Environment Programme said on Saturday.

More than 160 signatory states of the convention targeting hazardous substances that can kill or are seriously harmful to health, added the chemicals to the existing list of 12 after a week-long meeting in Geneva.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
"The tremendous impact of these substances on human health and the environment has been acknowledged today by adding nine new chemicals to the Convention," said UN Under-Secretary General Achim Steiner in a statement.

"This shift reflects international concern on the need to reduce and eventually eliminate such substances throughout the global community."

Well crap. I didn't know the UN had that kinda power.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
hmmmm, if I had the time, I'd look up all of the nine to see how widespread their usage.
I did wiki "lindane" and it's already banned in 50 countries, and doesn't look to be widely used anymore.

So, I'm wondering why they are bothering, as I don't see this as their function.
I mean, how is the UN gonna police theri banning

The World Health Organization classifies lindane as "Moderately Hazardous," and its international trade is restricted and regulated under the Rotterdam Convention on Prior Informed Consent.[5] It is presently banned in more than 50 countries, and in 2009 was included in the Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants, which bans its production and use worldwide.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit: for clarity

[edit on 10-5-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

join