It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA terror suspects kept awake for 11 days

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
This is not America.

My point is that this is GLOBAL world now and the beliefs of one country should not interfere to this degree with another.

We all had wars and we all had people killed in the formation of our respective country's(well, most of us).

To see such dramatic posturing over an idea that now days is regarded as a 'brand' and advertised by marketers is so weird. You just don't see many other examples of such a knee-jerk reaction in other places. You guys (the USA) had an awesome history. Love it. But don't ya think it's just a little to dramatic and over the top? I cannot respect something that has become so mangled throughout history. Your country had a great idea once, but now it's buried under so many layers of ****.

I respect your intentions (after all, you are not the govt) but sometimes it's just better to leave stuff alone and NOT torture and imprison people. Try being nice. And try not to make this bizarre business/country/politic/culture empire the rest of the world shakes their head at. The world is a big place. You don't have to be in all of it!

Anyway don't want to post-off topic, so... Sleep deprivation hey? That's nasty.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
As far as special forces and every thing else under the sun, stating that its no big deal, what your failing to understand is that your subconscious and conscious level knew that your were not in a life threatening situation. Im certain that you would have posted differently if you had been a pow in one of the various wars around the world and these methods were forced onto you.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
That was the reason US troops were trained under that type training.

If they ever became POWs they had already been subjected to what the enemy would use for interrogation and would know that it was not as bad as it seamed.

most US troops would laugh at waterboarding because it only tricks someone that does not understand it into believeing they are drowning.

U.S. Military survival training
Main article: Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape

All special operations units in all branches of the U.S. military employ the use of waterboarding as part of survival school (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) training, to psychologically prepare soldiers for the eventuality of being captured by the enemy forces.

According to the SERE affiliate and two other sources familiar with the program, after September 11th several psychologists versed in SERE techniques began advising interrogators at Guantánamo Bay and elsewhere. Some of these psychologists essentially "tried to reverse-engineer" the SERE program, as the affiliate put it. "They took good knowledge and used it in a bad way", another of the sources said. Interrogators and BSCT members at Guantánamo adopted coercive techniques similar to those employed in the SERE program.[84]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I would think it would be of greater value to increase our Intel base rather then resort to a form of torture , no ?

I still find it difficult to believe that one could trust the info obtained in such a manor .

Like I said the responsibility of protecting our people doesn't rest on my shoulders so its easy for me to preach from on high , but I am entitled to my opinion and that is simply this , we can do better , we as a people are better then this .

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Some of this is simply not torture, if it works or not should be studied...but this is not torture. I would like to know what people define as torture, because to me, this is not...and neither is waterboarding. Beating someone with a pistol, or electrocuting them, etc etc, is indeed torture and should not be used....but this...are you serious? Ever heard of hell week with the Seals? They go 4 days with stringent physical activities with no sleep. In this case, it's not like the accused terrorist is using a massive amount of energy during physical activities.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Sleep deprivation for 11 days straight is torture. It would certainly torture me! - I'm not joking.

read this go down the page a little and/or search for rats and death (2nd to last pragraph). I have seen several studies that suggest sleep deprivation can lead to deaths in rats.

Note: they don't conduct experiments with people to that extreme - but hey those that support torture don't lose hope - maybe those enemy combatants can be lab rats.

I don't buy that continued sleep deprivation won't cause permanent harm or damage. Clearly it has many negative physiological effects.

As decent human beings we should never condone torture in any form. Period!

[edit on 11-5-2009 by 2 cents]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join