It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[First] Suspected case of swine flu reported in mainland China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

A Chinese man returning from studying at a U.S. university has become the first suspected case of swine flu in mainland China, the country's Health Ministry said on Sunday.

The ministry said the man, 30, took a flight from Tokyo and arrived in Beijing on Saturday before heading to the city of Chengdu in Sichuan province on the same day.

Officials did not specify where he studied.

The number of confirmed cases of the H1N1 infections across the globe rose Sunday by about 1,000 from the previous day, the World Health Organization said.

Well then, China seems to be in the midst of the flu now.

Then again the hype has died down and were now back to not caring, but China could be a big problem due to the obviously large ammount of citizens and the tight nit areas they live in.

~Keeper

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is what I was worried about.

China has over 1 billion people, in a country I think just about the size of texas. This could really transfer back and forth through people with extreme ease.

But good thing they still have their masks left over from SARS.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

China is huge my friend much larger than Texas. This news is very disquieting for many reasons!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think that H1N1 (not swine - that has really damaged pork farmers worldwide - and that is another result of the panic which some powers are trying to spread) is just another flu.

So China has it? Of course China would have it, with that huge population.

I think that everyone should relax about H1N1.

In fact I am so tired of hearing about it, as are a lot of people.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
China ( I think, rather heroically) braved world outrage by quarantine- and yet, in a nation of- what?- 12 time zones- and 1.6 or so billion people cannot be "safe" from a pandemic.

If the individual was in the US we have another instance of 'community' outbreak- i.e., a person became ill from someone in the states- not Mexico.

Again- the WHO is ignoring their own criteria for Level 6.

BTW, if anyone has read Garrett's article in Newsweek about this, please share. She describes the etiology of this bug extraordinarily well- going back to '05 in Wisconsin- and flatly denying that the child in Mexico was "Patient Zero". She also goes on to explain that H1N1 as it has been circulating between swine and humans for years- with a touch of avian to the mix- has been resistant to anti-virals for some time. Frankly I'm surprised the article was published, as the truth is so glaring I'd have thought the gov would not permit the truth to be told...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Keeper,

I agree that China could become a big problem as you assert--think about it in these terms: Universities are beginning to release students for the academic year, and many international students will be leaving the U.S., Canada, and Mexico for their home countries during the break.

Thailand and Finland reported their first confirmed cases on Tuesday of people just arrived from Mexico. Cuba and China - both countries that had imposed strict measures on flights and travelers from Mexico - have also reported their first confirmed cases of swine flu.

Cuba identified its patient as a Mexican student attending a Cuban medical school and China said its case involved a Chinese student who had just returned from the United States.

apnews.myway.com...

An influx of travelers from the West (without isolation imposed) could create more cases for China and other countries not hit yet...we may then see more in the Middle East and Africa, but let's hope not

Also, I agree with CultureD on the inherent contradictions w/WHO (and the CDC, DHS, etc. for that matter)

~

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
again-
China rounded up every mexican- put on masks and wisked them away
Indonesia- deaths unreported
bird flu- 70% death rate- hard to catch
whatever-they-are -calling -it -now -flu- low death rate - easy to catch

the evidence is clear

DNA5, corpse burning parties, and screaming mothers holding dead infants with blood vomit, eyelashes, and insects.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
My sister in law was taking a summer trip to study abroad for college to China and apparently the airline(don't know which one) cancelled their trip yesterday, they were supposed to have left today. No refunds will be given either.

They did however offer to exchange their tickets to China for ones to Thailand.

She won't get credit for it, but atleast it is something.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Interesting personal account; thanks for sharing it.

It appears that China (and perhaps Russia?) have taken this virus quite seriously and have taken pretty extensive measures to limit the crossing of the borders by some populations.

I wonder how widespread their efforts to keep Westerners out of their country have gone...and how far they will last...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ScreamtheDance

I wondered if that was the anniversary of the earthquake last year, or loss of life due to flu this year.....

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
WHO.int calls 4 confirmed in China, up from one confirmed yesterday (mainland). Multiply that by 1000 or so and we might have an accurate picture....IMHO

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

China has over 1 billion people, in a country I think just about the size of texas.

I wish I had a picture of a facepalm

This could become huge news.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join