Conspiracy of Poverty

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Western world, j’accuse.

I accuse the West as a whole-not simply America (though it is the worst and by far the largest offender) - of engaging in a massive conspiracy to keep the rest of the world poor. Please, before the accusations and flames fly, hear me out. This conspiracy reaches into four spheres of influence- political, economic, intellectual and military.

Firstly, one might wonder what use it is to the economy to have the better part of the world population poor. They can’t buy anything, or put anything into the global economy! Well, they do make an excellent cheap labor force. Many western corporations have gone abroad and set up sweatshops that pay extraordinarily little. These places exist and continue to exist simply because they are built in places where the local population is so poor that they desperately need the extra money. They work as near-slaves, providing a large influx of cheap goods for Westerners. Thought this drains jobs from western workers, the trade off is worth it- the cheap goods are sold to those workers through outlets like Walmart. Profit margins increase, as the production cost drops while not alienating the prospective consumers. This general cheapening of goods insures the affordability of goods to the western world. While this treatment of people has had limited outrage. However, if the cost of clothing doubled, or the cost of food tripled, the outrage would be much greater.

As well, keeping the countries poor keeps industry dependent on Western support and markets. For example, Iraq has oil. However, most Iraqis have absolutely no need for oil. Many can barely feed themselves, much less afford a vehicle, have need for heating, or lubrication. Iraq has oil, can refine it, but no use for it. Therefore, with no domestic market, and no market in most other countries, they turn to the West. Of course, when we buy it for half of its market value, Iraquis object to this unfair treatment, and so we crush them mercilessly. More on that later, however. In a similar vein, certain African countries have gold and diamonds. However, gold does them no good. Their people cannot eat gold. They can’t make anything out of it. There is no market for jewellery amongst the starving. Diamonds cannot be refined there, as the technology (and funding for it) is absent. Therefore, their only choice is to export their goods on the cheap to the West - at the West’s prices - to feed their people. The West is the only one who really profits from that.

Lastly, the economic spectrum would not be complete without the yet less pleasant aspects of free-market economies. Western companies take rampant advantage of lax environmental standards in third-world countries, dumping all kinds of waste there. Medical experiments take place there. In many places, companies provide free experimental drugs to the populace. While the locals usually benefit briefly, those drugs are destined back to the West, most likely not to see that foreign soil again. Weapons are also tested, whether by being doled out piecemeal or tested ON the people.

With the lure of wealth, it is no surprise that most developing countries suffer a massive ‘brain drain’. With higher pay and more benefits, the West offers much more to the intellectual elite of poor countries. They generally immigrate quickly, leaving countries without professors, researchers, scientists, doctors and businessmen. This leaves them vulnerable, and without a base to improve upon. Very few technological achievements emerge from developing countries. With that in mind, think about the military. Without technology, the military forces of the developing countries are at a distinct disadvantage. Same thing with doctors- a sick populace doesn’t fight very well, nor does a starving one.

The Second World War was not won in Europe because of the technology that the Allies possessed- it was not because of the failings of the Nazi war machine. We won because of the total, blundering idiocy of Hitler and his cronies, and because we LITERALLY drowned the Nazis in corpses. If I recall correctly, we traded three Sherman tanks to each Panther or Tiger we destroyed. German had a massive technological edge. The lesson was well heeded, and only massive tactical error on the West’s part has caused defeat. With the lack of innovation in the rest of the world, the West has a near-monopoly on advanced weapons systems. The American GI is capable of inflicting immense damage on his adversary due to his edge in training, morale, and technology. These are professional soldiers, drilled to the finest standards. Look out and see history parading before your eyes again- instead of the Tiger, it is the Abrams which is the unstoppable tool of tyranny.

Now that the West has most countries securely in a cycle of poverty, weakness and ignorance, it can set the terms of the deals it makes. Anyone who dares disagree suffers embargoes, or all out war. Here, the West tests its weapons of war, improves them, and sends a message. No third-world country can withstand the West’s onslaught. At best, the NVA victory in Vietnam was Pyrrhic. So revolves the conspiracy of the West.

Sources:

The Uses of Global Poverty, DS Eglitis
www.scaruffi.com...

DE

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by DeusEx]

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by DeusEx]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
You know what the truth is. Is that some people just can't get off their arses, and do something with their life. Hense the term... Lazy Bum.

Thank god I'm not one of em.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Some people simply don't have any place to get off their arse to go to...

DE

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Some people simply don't have any place to get off their arse to go to...

DE

Those are usually the ones that don't get up anyway... so therefore they put themselves in that position. Excluding childeren by the way.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You dodge the point- when the unemployment is 40%, half the country is starving to death, and there's no jobs to be had, there is no place to get up to go to. It's not their fault their country is a ruin...it's ours.

DE

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
You dodge the point- when the unemployment is 40%, half the country is starving to death, and there's no jobs to be had, there is no place to get up to go to. It's not their fault their country is a ruin...it's ours.

DE

That is true... People like Bill Gates steal that too. Puts businesses out, then the employment level decreases.

Considering the fact this is the lowest level of employment since the GD (Great Depression) so you know there is something seriously wrong.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Eh? When the government comes with guns to take your property away, and you have been starving and have no means of self defense, what would you do? Put your family and village in jepardy and try to fight? Or would you just stand by and let them take it, ensuring that your family and the rest of the village will live to at least see tomorrow?

By keeping the populace poor, the government can more easily bully them around.

-----

Now, my part on this: Poor Americans.

By outsourcing jobs to 'cheap labor' countries (like AOhelL did when they dropped StarTek as their outsource and moved it all to Korea), it takes away from the American general populace employment. Personally, I am only making $8/hr as a graphic artist. Not too bad, but rent is $550/mo, utilities are roughly $150/mo, spend probably about $150/mo on groceries, car insurance is $45/mo, about $10/wk on gas (and that is increasing pretty fast).

So, with just that, I pay out roughly $910 per month just to live in a house, eat, and go to work to pay for it all. I only make about $1200 a month, and I didn't even list all the other little stuff I gotta pay for (student loans, cable bill, etc.).

So, you probably ask: "Why don't you just get a better paying job?"... because the jobs aren't there! I'm stuck with whatever I can get, and $8/hr is pretty decent pay for around here.

So, this can easily be used to make even western countries poor, and leaves all the control to the rich. I don't have the money or time to go fight with the government over this because I have crap to pay for. If I miss even a week of work, I'm so screwed.

So, shugo? What do you suggest for these people who you claim just don't get off their arses? Are you gonna devote the time to go lead them? All they need is some kind of influence. Some kind of leader. Someone who has the time and dedication to convince them to follow. Do you have that time, Shugo? Do you have that dedication? If not, then I say that you are just as guilty of being a lazy bum as they are!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
You cant blame global poverty on laziness!!!

Most of the people we're talking about live in the 3rd world where they dont have the access to education and a growing economy that you have redneck! No growth no jobs!

And the fat #s in America stuffing their fat faces with their forth Big Mac for the day should remeber that! More than half of the American population is OBESE!

Actually one case in point is food product...due to crippling levies on imports to the 3rd world ,countries in Africa for example cannot compete with America in grain production..plus USA farmers get a fat subsidy from USA government.

Research the UN Millenium goals for the plans on reducing poverty...and yes your right...its never going to #ing happen is it? In a world driven by profit and greed!

The world couldnt survive if everyone on this planet consumed the way the West does. The air would be thick with smoke day and night alone from the energy consumption. Remeber that in the West the situation is that 15% of the worlds population are consuming more than 50% of the worlds resources and that more than 3 billion people are dirt poor compared to Western standards.

I think just like Communism Capitalism will fail. Both cannot be sustained!

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by asala]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Deus, I don't see a conspiracy here, but more of a consequence of actions. That is not to say that I don't agree with a lot of your points, but the ugly truth is that the decisions made by businesses and governments rarely take into account long term effects or "blowback."

I also think it is naive to think that the governments who control diamonds, gold, etc. have the best interest of their people in mind. My brother in law is currently doing business in Indonesia and must pay "special expenses" to various local government officials.

While not a religious person myself, I do believe that Bible was accurate in that the "sins of the father will be visited upon his decendants." We are starting to see that now.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction
You cant blame global poverty on laziness (Edited by asala)

Most of the people we're talking about live in the 3rd world where they dont have the access to education and a growing economy that you have redneck! No growth no jobs!

And the fat #s in America stuffing their fat faces with their forth Big Mac for the day should remeber that! More than half of the American population is OBESE!

Actually one case in point is food product...due to crippling levies on imports to the 3rd world ,countries in Africa for example cannot compete with America in grain production..plus USA farmers get a fat subsidy from USA government.

Research the UN Millenium goals for the plans on reducing poverty...and yes your right...its never going to #ing happen is it? In a world driven by profit and greed!

The world couldnt survive if everyone on this planet consumed the way the West does. The air would be thick with smoke day and night alone from the energy consumption. Remeber that in the West the situation is that 15% of the worlds population are consuming more than 50% of the worlds resources and that more than 3 billion people are dirt poor compared to Western standards.

I think just like Communism Capitalism will fail. Both cannot be sustained!

How about you accuse me after you're done cussing.

If you READ more than just one of my posts you see that I switch opinion asshat.

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by asala]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Deus, I don't see a conspiracy here, but more of a consequence of actions. That is not to say that I don't agree with a lot of your points, but the ugly truth is that the decisions made by businesses and governments rarely take into account long term effects or "blowback."

I think the issue is that governments-Western governments- continue to propage the cycle of poverty for their own benefit instead of helping out.

DE

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusExI think the issue is that governments-Western governments- continue to propage the cycle of poverty for their own benefit instead of helping out.DE

How? By spending billions of dollars on food shipments or by sending AIDs/malarial drugs that never get to the people they were intended.

This is nothing more than the haves vs the have nots and is not solely a western attribute. What does the Saudi govt do to educate and lift their fellow countryman out of poverty? What are African leaders doing to change the economic condition of their country? They are everybit the money hungry whores that the West is. Unless these foreign countries are willing to change how and under what terms they do business, nothing will change. If you sell your daughter into prostitution are you not as guilty as the man who pays for her?

(ps i do want you to know that I do appreciate your point of view on this)

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I understand, bleys. But the government needs the moeny. In africa, it's not really a choice. And often, those drugs are experimental, so how well they work is a shot in the dark. Billions of dollars sure are great, but they can't feed a continent- nor can they prop up a non existent economy.

The point is if they try to change the terms of the deal with the West, we get an Iraq. We get sanctions, we get war, we get death. It's kobiashi maru for the third world.

DE

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
If every country was "well off" we would probly have destroyed ourselfs/eachother by now because we had the money/resorces to

But i do agree with a lot of points

But unless someone does something instead of just complain nothings gonna happen (Works fine as it is for world governments they care as much as everyone else in a personal not spiritual manner | people "care" but dont do anything about it is what i mean)

Im not for keeping people in poverty

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by Crash]

new topics

join