It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans designate 2010 as "The National Year of the Bible"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Devoid of ideas... flailing around like a fish out of water... losing membership and held prisoner by the hard right that has gotten a stranglehold on the GOP... lacking even a contract on America... they now designate the mid-term election year, the year of the Bible...

... priceless.

I wonder if it will convince anyone to vote for them?

I think that sums it up .

to issue a proclamation calling upon citizens of all faiths to rediscover and apply the priceless, timeless message of the Holy Scripture ......

Bill-Text

Thats a bit bizarre ........ or is it ?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Well, it might be wise to lock yourself up in your house the entire year.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

I would say that the Republican Party has not learned the lesson. There are those (like Colin Powell) who still identify with the party, Republicans, who want to take their party back to the party of intellectual political ideas, not religious beliefs or excellence in broadcasting. There are others, as Arlen Specter, who have left already.

There was a time when the cleavage of government and overt expressions of one religious belief (prayer in public school, a creche in front of a city hall) was attributed to those of no religious belief. The irony of political/government insistence on bringing up things of a religious nature the past 30 years has finally made even political figures/party members say enough is enough, let's get back to the roll of good governance, put faith back into churches.

I smell politics in this resolution, as I used to smell the incense in my church. The greatness of this nation should be in its respect for ALL beliefs, not its ability to evangelize.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's obvious that this is a ploy to appeal to the evangelicals in the party, who may have felt ignored in the past few years. But I do not agree with it; Christians are only one part of our nation, and I don't like singling out one religious tome over others to celebrate.

Recently there was an uproar over Hawaii designating an 'Islam Day'. This is no different, imo.

Now, if they had designated 2010 to be the year of spirituality, or worship, then I would have no problem with it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Now, if they had designated 2010 to be the year of spirituality, or worship, then I would have no problem with it.

i concur, as long as it didn't involve people being forced to do so

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

SHHHH... don't tell anyone Josbecky because they might start talking....

... but I agree 100% with you.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Let it go on record that grover, jsobecky, and desert are in 100% agreement on the above post by jsobecky.

Wait!...breaking news..."Hell Has Fozen Over!"...wait....more breaking news ..."Pigs Are Flying!"...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Josbecky don't let this go to your head alright.

So many people confuse religion and spirituality... you can be religious without being spiritual and be an atheist and be profoundly spiritual...

Religion is what the disciples turn the teachings of a master into once they realize how difficult they are to live up to.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This shows that they are a Theocratic Party.

They want a Christian Nation with Biblical Old Testament Law.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29

I see another crusade, lead by brain-dead hicks of the south.

Hey hey. I live in the south. Are you calling me a brain dead hick? Are you aware of the T&C on ATS?

I personally believe that designating 2010 as "the year of the Bible" would violate the separation of church and state. Not that it would affect non-believers in any way. It's one of those things that's easy to ignore. On principle, though, I think it's a bad idea.

But there's no reason to abuse believers. They have a right to their convictions. A little respect gets you further with people you want to influence. You make me want to get out the Confederate flag and yell "damned Yankee, ungentlemanly scalawag and carpetbagger, stay home!"

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
This shows that they are a Theocratic Party.

They want a Christian Nation with Biblical Old Testament Law.

Actually, I think Obama is shooting for Sharia law.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Hey wait a minute I'm from the south and I'm not brain dead though I certainly worked hard to achieve it in my youth.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I'm a Christian, and I absolutely HATE when people say "separation of church and state" because, it's not in the freaking bill of rights!! The founding fathers meant for religion to be expressed by politicians, teachers, etc.

However, as this is a bill to make a national Bible year, I think it is a clear violation of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Where in the bible does it say waterboarding is okay?

I have to admit, I haven't read the bible yet (but I'm getting around to it). I'll update my post when I find the chapter/verse about Jesus preaching to invade foreign lands, plunder their resources, kill hundreds of thousands and imprison/torture thousands.

Good thing we have the GOP to thank for doing all those things. How nice of them to remind us that they're all about Jesus and the bible.

Now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join