It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans designate 2010 as "The National Year of the Bible"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
wonder how this is going to go over ... i don't think some people will approve of this and i'm not too sure if this is trying to force the bible upon people or what not ...

Some text:

Whereas 2010 is an appropriate year to designate as ‘The National Year of the Bible’: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That the President is encouraged--

(1) to designate an appropriate year as ‘The National Year of the Bible’; and

(2) to issue a proclamation calling upon citizens of all faiths to rediscover and apply the priceless, timeless message of the Holy Scripture which has profoundly influenced and shaped the United States and its great democratic form of Government, as well as its rich spiritual heritage, and which has unified, healed, and strengthened its people for over 200 years.

Full Text Here

Not trying to bash republicans, just thought it was an interesting bill ... here's a link to the overview ... www.govtrack.us... ...

what are your thoughts?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Wow, what a way to make the seperation of Church and State complete eh?

Damn republicans, trying to get all the religious vote in one feel swoop eh?

These people are crazy. Mind you I agree that the bible has shaped the country in some good ways and bad ways, there is absolutely to need to designate 2010 as the year of the Bible.

Hell the Vatican doesn't even do that.

~Keeper

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
My question is.. It says citizens of all faiths.. but its called the "National Year of the Bible"

Mixed messages.

But this is pointless, too much chaos and controversy can come from this.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
With everything going on in the world, they have time for this crap? I mean, REALLY? C'mon.... Year of the Bible?

Would we break it down by month, too? Maybe January till June could be the time to reflect on the wisdom of the Old Testament. We could have "kill your children for cursing their parents day," "burn a priest's fornicating daughter day," maybe a kill nonbelievers day? How about after-church mobs on Sundays seek out those working and kill them for the month of May?

Now, all sarcasm aside, congress shouldn't pass a bill strictly praising the Bible, Koran, Tao Te Ching, or any other religious text. That's for people to do on their own time. If the Pope, or any national coalition of Churches wants to name 2010 the year of the Bible, fine. But to pass a bill, nah.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
wonder how this is going to go over ... i don't think some people will approve of this and i'm not too sure if this is trying to force the bible upon people or what not ...

what are your thoughts?

This is absolute proof that the Republicans have learned absolutely nothing from their crushing defeats over the past four years. This will be well received by their fringe base but the last election proved that they cannot win national elections unless they can appeal to the centrist independents.

This will further alienate that demographic.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Well, i've sent my letter to the Republican party, asking politely that they make 2011 the Year of the Spaghetti Monster.

Still no reply.... worth a shot though!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
A question. What does this mean?

Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring)

Does that mean that it's already been passed by Congress?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yupper, it means the house has resolved it, and is waiting on senate confirmation to pass it into law.

~Keeper

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Yupper, it means the house has resolved it, and is waiting on senate confirmation to pass it into law.

~Keeper

If that's the case isn't:

Republicans designate 2010 as "The National Year of the Bible"

...misleading? Congress is controlled by the Dems.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Devoid of ideas... flailing around like a fish out of water... losing membership and held prisoner by the hard right that has gotten a stranglehold on the GOP... lacking even a contract on America... they now designate the mid-term election year, the year of the Bible...

... priceless.

I wonder if it will convince anyone to vote for them?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

~Keeper

Not true. It has not been voted on by either the House or Senate and is in the first stages of the legislative process. According to the website in the link this bill was introduced and referred to committee on 5/7. The committee will review and then provide a report. Once that is done the House vote would be conducted.

Given the Democratic Party advantage in the House, this will likely not even make it out of the committee and not put to a vote.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Night Watchman]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Is there a larger portion of it then the website gives.

Because I've read through it and it just picks a year labels it, and asks citizens to increase there faith.

Doesn't really seem all that important.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Of course it will pass and Obama will sign it... no one is going to want to be on record as against it....

... still its trite and meaningless.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Of course it will pass and Obama will sign it... no one is going to want to be on record as against it....

Which is precisely why it will never make it out of committee. There will be no vote to record.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

Hmm, yes upon further inspection you are correct, I retract my previous statement.

Strange they would have place resolved on there. Perhaps they were arguing the details and resolved the final bill.

~Keeper

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
A little bit of history for those 'doom and gloom' and 'separation of church and state' individuals, it seems the nation survived the first 'National Year of the Bible" back in 1983. And as far as I can tell from the text of the bill, there's nothing in there that'd violate "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." Just my 2 cents worth. Now back to the hatefest already in progress.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

i just posted republicans in the title because it was a republican that introduced the bill and it is co-sponsored by 13 other republican's ... i am in no way trying to make the republican's look bad (if that may be what you think), just merely stating what the bill says

[edit on 10-5-2009 by baseball101]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ok, this now conferms what I know. Both sides(Dem. & Rep.) are controlled by the same thing.

So if this is real, we could have another crusade on our hands.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Oh, lordy! The year of the Bible. As one who reads and rereads the Bible and finds great insight in the many wriitings, I just think this is wrong. How about the year of the Koran? Sheesh. How about the year of the Wiccan writings? I kind of like these things I have read about. But none, as far as I am concerned, should be elevated above any other by governmental decree.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

A little bit of history for those 'doom and gloom' and 'separation of church and state' individuals, it seems the nation survived the first 'National Year of the Bible" back in 1983. And as far as I can tell from the text of the bill, there's nothing in there that'd violate "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." Just my 2 cents worth. Now back to the hatefest already in progress.

Ok, just because America survived it last time, doesn't mean you will this time. America, since 9/11, has exponetially become more zealos for the christian way/religion, and paranoid about "non-believers" and forigners.

I see another crusade, lead by brain-dead hicks of the south.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join