It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad News For Atheists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Bravo! A scientific fact that there is something of us left after death. I agree completely. Now the question is, is that energy concious? Or will that same bundle of energy form another human conciousness?(SP?) I see that as a sliver of hope that all we see and hear and do now, is not all there is to existance. Regardless, "Energy can not be created or destroyed" therefore something for me to believe in that I cannot see or measure, the possibility of my continuing existance after death.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SchefSalad

"how many doubters have actually went looking for "god"."

How do you know you're not just kidding yourself that you "found" god? How do you KNOW you've found god and aren't just settling for something that works for you.

And, of course, WHICH god do you go looking for? The one that has been programmed into you by "Western" society?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
no i figure god is actually just the best description for what i believe created consciousness. see consciousness in my opinion doesnt grow out of dirt or appear out of no where if it did why the hell arent there talking rocks. look doubters can be doubters im just suggesting that all that is presented to you may not be all thats really there. im just waiting for the aliens to come and save me from the illuminati
i believe that all the religions of the world experienced a similar event through time and described it the best they could. my personal faith isnt fully derived from christianity or islam or buhhdism but from my own life experience. and believe me i dont think the way i view religious writings come close to what others believe. NOT EVEN CLOSE. If seeing is believing than there is the reason i believe.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SchefSalad

Ah, "personal religion". Preferable to a pre-digested dogma. And very hard to refute if one doesn't know the details.

So, fair winds and following seas to you.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well there you go, didn't take long for some of the old lines to get trawled up.

Santa Claus: I wasn't disappointed at all when I found out, we laughed when Iasked "the question". Enjoyed reading the stories of Saint Nicholas on whom Santa is based. Even more fun to discover how the modern Santa phenomenon is largely a creation of capitalism.

Council of Nicea Edited the Bible: Utter, and often proven, nonsense which a lot of people have heard of and thus regurgitate but very few have actually bothered to research.

My Friend Was Brainwashed But Is An Atheist Now: A constant favourite of mine, they always leave out the intensive counselling after being kidnapped that usually accompanies de-programming from brainwashing.

Christianity is Anti-Science: Just like saying Islam is a Terrorist organisation - use the extremists to colour the whole people. I'll see your Galileo and raise you George Le Maitre and Gregor Mendel.

Atheism is rational, Christianity is ignorance: There are as many ignorant Christians as Atheists but there are also as many serious and committed intellectuals who's corpus of work is astonishing, rational, logical and useful.

Being raised as a Christian does not brainwash people into remaining Christians, being raised as an athiest or in a religion free environment has even less success at such efforts.

So, atheists, get out of our schools along with the anti-evolutionists, go off and fight it out together in a field somewhere because one's as bad as the other. Leave the rest of us to enjoy a rounded education that doesn't pretend people are just accidents of the material world. If you think we still are then examine some of the archaeological and anthropological evidence of spirituality and belief that has accompanied the development of humanity for at least the last 70,000 years.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

"Leave the rest of us to enjoy a rounded education that doesn't pretend people are just accidents of the material world. "

All that long post just to put the "teach the controversy" babble in at the end. IF you want to teach religion in schools, start a school that teaches religion. Public schools will not be used to promote any religion.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I always love to ask this
If you were born in another country with a totaly different religion would u still believe in what you believe today?

For example if you were born in Afghanistan would you still be a christian? And the other way around as well. It usualy depends on what you are taught when you were young and what your head will be filled with.

And what exactly was the bad news?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Well, my children are aged 7 and 3, and I always tell them that religion is brainwash and I beg them to make up their own mind about things and not succumb to persuasion of people addicted to power. I hope whatever they choose to accept as their purpose to be the right one, whatever they finally accept.

Don't you think that by telling them 'religion is brainwash', you are just doing another version of what some religious people do when they indoctinate? I think it would be better to never even mention it, that way you can truly be certain they will make their own mind up.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
This thread is a perfect example of why there is no religion taught in public schools. Children are our little bundles of joy that we can fill with our own beliefs. Thank goodness that we still have the right to make sure our children are raised in a pure kosher household and have a chance to worship in a synagogue.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RubberBaronDon't you think that by telling them 'religion is brainwash', you are just doing another version of what some religious people do when they indoctinate? I think it would be better to never even mention it, that way you can truly be certain they will make their own mind up.

The same can be said about not mentioning STDs, so they can make up their own minds about them. Or not mentioning strangers in the park with candy, so they won't pre-judge someone.

(BTW, for those not already furiously typing a response, I'm not equating "religion" with STDs or pedos. Just saying the matter is serious and needs to be addressed by PARENTS. Those of you who are just co-habitants with your offspring need not worry about those kind of things.)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jimbowsk
I have no problem with believers, but in the case of most things it's the extremists that take it too far, and the pushy parents that bombard their kids with false facts about a deity from a young age - which isn't necessarily their fault, just usually a carry-on from their upbringing.

A couple of my very close friends were brought up with a very strict christian upbringing, and because of this they were sheltered from the cultures and experiences that everyone should get growing up. However, despite this they no longer follow religion in any form and have a better understanding of how kids should be left to make up their own decisions regarding what, if any, faith they want to follow.

In my opinion if there is a god he certainly isn't doin his job properly, has he/she seen the state of this planet and what some of his followers are doing? For an omnipotant being they don't seem to be that bothered about what happens on this planet - if I'd created the world and people were messing it up the way they are I'd be crackin some heads I tell ya!

So now it is child abuse to raise your children with a set of beliefs and morals?? Or maybe we should teach them that they are their own god, they created all of this, they are the great I Am if they so desire. I'll tell you what is being perpetuated, is a generation of the blind leading the blind.

I taught my children the **truth, what they do with it as adults is their right, but at least I know they have a firm foundation, not built on sand.

P.S. **The "truth" having nothing to do with which church you go to or how often or even if you attend. Nothing wrong with going to church though, there are some good ones out there if you look.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Faith is nothing more than a denial of the evidence of the senses. It classifies everything right or wrong, and closes every door of possibility except for one - the 'TRUTH' as the believer see's it.

THis is the inexorable sequence of truth based thinking;

Facts > Truth > Belief > Faith > Intolerance > Conflict > Violence > Death

Contrast this with knoweldge based thinking;

Knowledge > Meaning > Understanding > Peace > Life

Knowledge doesnt have to be right or wrong, true or false, and doesnt require anyone else to be right or wrong either. Knowledge doesnt demand belief, it simply paves the way for understanding.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

"I taught my children the **truth, what they do with it as adults is their right, but at least I know they have a firm foundation, not built on sand."

I'm impressed. I don't know anybody who as a lock on the "truth". What, exactly is the "truth", please?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
reply to post by Bombeni

"I taught my children the **truth, what they do with it as adults is their right, but at least I know they have a firm foundation, not built on sand."

I'm impressed. I don't know anybody who as a lock on the "truth". What, exactly is the "truth", please?

Gosh I thought you'd never ask:

THE TRUTH

I believe in one God,
the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth
and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only-begotten Son of God,
begotten of His Father before all worlds,
God of God, Light of Light,
very God of very God,
begotten, not made,
being of one substance with the Father;
by whom all things were made;
who for us men and for our salvation
came down from heaven,
and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary
and was made man;
and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate.
He suffered and was buried.
And the third day He rose again
according to the Scriptures
and ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of the Father.
And He will come again with glory to judge
both the living and the dead,
whose kingdom will have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord and giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son together
is worshipped and glorified,
who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe in one holy Christian and apostolic Church.
I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins,
and I look for the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Ah, your definition of truth is very interesting. And total BS. Your "truth" is just religious dogma. Keep your dogma out of the way of my karma if you like it.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni

I taught my children the **truth, what they do with it as adults is their right, but at least I know they have a firm foundation, not built on sand.

P.S. **The "truth" having nothing to do with which church you go to or how often or even if you attend. Nothing wrong with going to church though, there are some good ones out there if you look.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Bombeni]

A firm foundation based on what though, mythology, folklore, writings from a time when so little was understood about the world? I don't believe children should have religious rights taught to them at all with them being so impressionable from the parents, the people they trust the most in the whole world.

Just because a person isn't religious doesn't mean they can't have a strong moral attitude, and I actually think that's quite offensive and narrow-minded to suggest so. Basically suggesting someone's bound to be a bad person because they don't worship something that can't be seen/heard/tested/proved in any way.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimbowskJust because a person isn't religious doesn't mean they can't have a strong moral attitude, and I actually think that's quite offensive and narrow-minded to suggest so. Basically suggesting someone's bound to be a bad person because they don't worship something that can't be seen/heard/tested/proved in any way.

Christianity is elitist and exclusive. You can't be a Christian AND a Muslim. You can't be anything but a Christian. Restrictive and confining. And people have been killed by the millions for not believing in the dogma of the Church. And they call atheists immoral.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Do you have your pew at the Pew Foundation?
It's not exactly an unbiased source. I would have to take anything they claim with a dash of salt and a holy eucharist. After all, lying for Jesus is a standard for religious these days.

Wow! that is quite a poisonous condemnation of something you obviously have no idea about.

How about you attempt to do a little research before casting your snarky venom around.

The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press is an independent, non-partisan public opinion research organization that studies attitudes toward politics, the press and public policy issues. In this role it serves as a valuable information resource for political leaders, journalists, scholars and citizens.

The Center conducts regular monthly polls on politics and major policy issues as well as the News Interest Index, a weekly survey aimed at gauging the public's interest in and reaction to major news events. Shorter commentaries are produced on a regular basis addressing the issues of the day from a public opinion perspective.

In addition, the Center periodically fields major surveys on the news media, social issues and international affairs
people-press.org...
people-press.org...
pewforum.org...

I don't really give a dam* if you are an atheist or what ever else happens to put a shine on your bollocks but attempting to marginalize a viable info source just because it doesn't suit your particular rant is in my opinion bad form!

Feel free to point out to us ALL somewhere on the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life where a particular bias towards ANY one religion is exemplified?

I eagerly await your unimpeachable response....

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

"Wow! that is quite a poisonous condemnation of something you obviously have no idea about.

How about you attempt to do a little research before casting your snarky venom around. "

I HAVE researched the Pew Foundation. Obviously better than you have. You are either covering for them, as a paid shill, or have been taken in by their "front" of objectivity.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I HAVE researched the Pew Foundation. Obviously better than you have. You are either covering for them, as a paid shill, or have been taken in by their "front" of objectivity.

What a surprise, your response is to cast me as a "paid shill" or mindless rube "taken in" by The Pew Foundation's scientifically sound polling practices.

I never suspected that you would exemplify such astounding intellectualism so thoroughly when you failed to respond to the last bit of my post.

Originally posted by Snisha
Feel free to point out to us ALL somewhere on the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life where a particular bias towards ANY one religion is exemplified?

When presented with a link to the OP's aforementioned source, instead of providing EVIDENCE that my assertions are incorrect you wield your "butter knife broadsword" and attempt to mount a feeble assault saying that you have researched them.

Am I supposed to read your mind in order to gain this condemning knowledge your "research" has disclosed ???

Or better yet, am I to just believe you based solely on FAITH???????

How ironic
a Bona Fide atheist telling me that I should believe ANYTHING he has to say based solely on FAITH!!!!!!!!

Yet another fine example that jugheads are evenly spread among ALL humanity.

Religious and Non-religious alike.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join