It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad News For Atheists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Feeling martyred are we?

Not really. Are you looking for a fight? I'm not the one to give it to you. I just see that you believe brainwashing is the single domain of Christians and even more specifically American Christians.

Are you feeling froggy? Jump. Post that you think teaching any and all belief systems to children is brainwashing. Do it. Go to one of the new age sections and start a post with "Pagans are horrible brainwashers".

You won't.

Where, oh where, do I say " brainwashing is the single domain of Christians and even more specifically American Christians." I'd be fascinated to see a link, please.

You still need to tell me about the Santa thing. Waiting.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
To return to the OP. The study states:

"One of the key findings of the Landscape Survey was that the unaffiliated population is a very diverse group. Not all those who are unaffiliated lack spiritual beliefs or religious behaviors; in fact, roughly four-in-ten unaffiliated individuals say religion is at least somewhat important in their lives."

What it doesn't say is that numbers of atheists are converting to theism but that people are changing their affiliations.

What's damning is in the main reasons for leaving childhood religion: 42% said it was because of religious institutions, practices and people! The church itself is the main reason why people leave the church.

Another damning part is the number swapping between catholic and protestant churches. How can people bounce between the two and truly understand the fundamental differences between the two? That is scary.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

I must have lost that link...I knew it was laying around here somewheres...

I'll have to find that for you later...maybe not.

(stalling)

Ok. You didn't specifically state that at any point. I take it all back. You're right. It was simplied implied. I'm sure I was way off base. Ya caught me.

I don't have any kids to tell anything to yet, Santa or otherwise. I'll let you know how that turns out later then. Is that cool?

What kind of stories do you tell your children?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

There is quite literaly a church on every other corner in the place i live. I havent checked but i'm pretty sure a great majority of them are Christian based. I get the impression that the people on this web site have grown up with a constant bombardment, whether subtle or violent, of Christian beliefs, from family and friends, to school, to television. I think its a hot topic because we have also grown up with the freedom to question anything(well mabey here anonymosly). At least the sceptics and believers here are talking about more than who went to church, or what clothes someone was wearing when they went to church, or if so and so is going to church next weekend............

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Fair enough. No harm, no foul.

Never had any children. I told my nephew there was no Santa once, and my sister-in-law flipped out. He looked at her and said, "I knew that a long time ago, Mom."

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
now im no super christian nor do i hold a set of my own beliefs in stone but i have a question for atheist and other conspirators on this site naturally i mean no offense but i just out of curiosity.. If the people who frequent this site can believe wild ass theories such as aliens, UFO's galactic orders illuminati 2012 nibiru and that other BS that comes spewing from you people what is so absurd about faith in a god. Please the wild theories you people put your faith in are no more crazier than religious types. Like i said i mean no offense you can believe that aliens take people on ships and nibiru has lizard creatures that will destroy us or an ultimate creator. And atheist, i believe in evolution as well as god but it seems (atleast on this site) that your only point of view is to crap on people who have faith. Your pushy an trying to cram your beliefs down my throat but that would make you no better than the christians or other religious affiliates. But answer me.What makes believing in aliens so more realistic than faith. each have limited "proof" and i remain unconvinced

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SchefSalad

Hi Schefsalad, it's known as "double-dipping"

I think I will throw up if I see this line again "the Bible is just made up, to control people" --- when if they actually THOUGHT about it they would realize that if the people who wrote the Bible and the people who carried out the work of publicizing the Bible were just trying to control people, they would have left about 90 percent of it out!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
reply to post by SchefSalad

Hi Schefsalad, it's known as "double-dipping"

I think I will throw up if I see this line again "the Bible is just made up, to control people" --- when if they actually THOUGHT about it they would realize that if the people who wrote the Bible and the people who carried out the work of publicizing the Bible were just trying to control people, they would have left about 90 percent of it out!

Controlling isn't the only reason the Bronze Age Goatherders' Anthology of Campfire Tales is so long. The Church wanted to make it the only book people would have to read, so they had to pad it out. It would be a lot longer if they hadn't cherry-picked the Gospels to find the ones they liked.

link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
when if they actually THOUGHT about it they would realize that if the people who wrote the Bible and the people who carried out the work of publicizing the Bible were just trying to control people, they would have left about 90 percent of it out!

They did....it was called the council of Nicea

link   
reply to post by Bombeni

They just say it because they feel superior to those who believe in a God. Let them feel superior, we will all find out what the truth is soon enough. If they are right, then fine, if they were wrong, oh well.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I think in a sick way the "pickers and choosers" of the Bible content actually thought they were doing the right thing. Self-rightous I suppose.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You could easily turn this into a nature vs. nurture argument.

That those raised in unaffiliated houses often choose religion just shows how prevelant the religious propaganda is. that their parents are not preaching it doesnt really matter....it's still in their face in every turn of the media, in our political figures, in our schools(yes, it is there), in their friends families....you can't even go stay in a hotel room in this country without seeing a bible. It's not an accident.

You will never convince me that without the idea put in their head by an outside source children will still choose religion.

It is indoctrination, regardless of where it's coming from.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

I think in a sick way the "pickers and choosers" of the Bible content actually thought they were doing the right thing. Self-rightous I suppose.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

The locked sections of the Vatican Library probably contain some interesting documents we'll never see. I sometimes hope for a scene similar to the looting of the KGB archives in Germany after the Fall of the Wall.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have no problem with believers, but in the case of most things it's the extremists that take it too far, and the pushy parents that bombard their kids with false facts about a deity from a young age - which isn't necessarily their fault, just usually a carry-on from their upbringing.

A couple of my very close friends were brought up with a very strict christian upbringing, and because of this they were sheltered from the cultures and experiences that everyone should get growing up. However, despite this they no longer follow religion in any form and have a better understanding of how kids should be left to make up their own decisions regarding what, if any, faith they want to follow.

In my opinion if there is a god he certainly isn't doin his job properly, has he/she seen the state of this planet and what some of his followers are doing? For an omnipotant being they don't seem to be that bothered about what happens on this planet - if I'd created the world and people were messing it up the way they are I'd be crackin some heads I tell ya!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tyler 720
Because if there is no afterlife, you dont exist anymore, with no thoughts or considerations for the life you left. Nothing matters because nothing exists.

Well, science would disagree with that. Energy never ends. So, by scientific theory, even after you die your energy remains.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

Originally posted by Tyler 720
Because if there is no afterlife, you dont exist anymore, with no thoughts or considerations for the life you left. Nothing matters because nothing exists.

Well, science would disagree with that. Energy never ends. So, by scientific theory, even after you die your energy remains.

I guess that's kinda true to a degree depending on what your views on a 'soul' is, but really we just get our energy from consuming food and fluids, once that consumption stops, no more energy. What little energy remained would be converted to heat or some other form til there was nowt left to keep us going!

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Jimbowsk]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

As an atheist, I am often asked by theists how I can have any morals, not following the moral teachings of the bible. My response is usually along the line of: if we follow the teachings of the bible then why don't we stone adulterers? Or commit ethnic cleansing like Joshua?

Theists pick and choose the part of the bible they want to use, to justify pretty much anything.

[edit on 5/11/2009 by mithrawept]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
how many doubters have actually went looking for "god". Did you look everywhere? are you sure? how do you know that the bible wasnt a tool for like minded people. What if your arent one of these like minded people. Where would i look for god? I would probably take the road less traveled and documented an area of life where research cant go as of yet. The mind is a wonderful tool when used correctly, safely and intelligently. Our time on this planet is too short to comprehend the infinite universe. we are bound by time. the rest of the universe is not.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

That's right. I am not an atheist but I have been asked the same questions.

Truth be told... if the fundies have their way, they'd have the laws and punishments back today.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Supercertari

Fascinating research which recalls the universal and timeless need for the Sacred in one's life - that God shaped space within humanity.

...but yes, which zombie god do we choose? There is a contest between them, it seems, as to who can be the most inconsistent, the most dominating, jealous, angry, spiteful and intolerant.

Seems like a great choice for kids.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join