It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad News For Atheists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Great point.

People should have their own beliefs, not be indoctrinated.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Great point.

People should have their own beliefs, not be indoctrinated.

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

Besides there are many, many religions everywhere. In American, you see mostly Baptist churches in every corner. There is a big effort to evangelize in this nation. So children are mostly not without influence. It's hardly surprising.

Again, what's the point of this thread? Are you feeling smug?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
"Everyone should believe in something" Is kind of a sure bet. Aside from what we can see, bad things happening to good people, good things happening to bad, or vice versa, I think the ultimate goal of any religion is the belief in what is not seen, for this instance an afterlife. If there is no afterlife or God, then what you believe is pointless along with everything else about your life. If there is an afterlife or a God, having some sort of belief, I hope, would be more benificial than not having one.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyler 720

"If there is no afterlife or God, then what you believe is pointless along with everything else about your life."

Why do you think that? I've done thing in my life that have affected many people positively. My life has been far from pointless. I'm not, however, afraid of the dark.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Because if there is no afterlife, you dont exist anymore, with no thoughts or considerations for the life you left. Nothing matters because nothing exists.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tyler 720
Because if there is no afterlife, you dont exist anymore, with no thoughts or considerations for the life you left. Nothing matters because nothing exists.

I've flatlined three times that I know of. I got no clues of an afterlife. But what I do on Earth matters to me now, and I've done things I'm proud of leaving behind me.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

"If there is no afterlife or God, then what you believe is pointless along with everything else about your life."

Why do you think that? I've done thing in my life that have affected many people positively. My life has been far from pointless. I'm not, however, afraid of the dark.

That's the thing though, if everyone thought like you and was happy of their place on earth (as am I) then I think religion would be wiped out, it's people that deny their own mortality and would feel life was pointless if they didn't have a supreme being to 'look after' them or a continuation into the afterlife to a beautiful (or bad
) place of wonder. I guess it's kinda like being scared of controlling your own life, rather than just facing the fact there is no God*, and it's just us, we're born, we die, we're wormfood! So lets make the best of it!

*subject purely to my own personal opinion and in no way a verified fact

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Hypotheticaly speeking, the afterlife is what matters to religion because reality is debatable. therefore either God exists or it doesnt and either there is an afterlife or there isnt. 4 scenarois with only one chance to "win".
I believe, no afterlife=lose(I dont exist)
I don't believe, no afterlife=lose(I dont exist)
I don't believe, afterlife=lose(I'm unprepared or someone is disapointed)
I believe, afterlife=win(I'm somewhat prepared, mabey someone isn't pissed)
Therefore you might as well believe in something. My shallow argument to atheists.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

"Therefore you might as well believe in something. My shallow argument to atheists. "

Pascal's Wager. Theodore Drange has some thoughts on that.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimbowsk

Dire punishment "later" is the stick to the "heaven" carrot for the clergy. As long as people give them money for doing nothing we'll have religions around.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I give money to the government and they do nothing either, yet they take it by force, religion by trickery. I dont deny the human condition, in fact I sympathise with it. I just think that some belief is better than no belief.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
These bogus statistics could just as well be said to prove that atheists make the best parents,

- as, unlike religious parents, they are not brainwashing their children into automatically following their beliefs.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tyler 720
I give money to the government and they do nothing either, yet they take it by force, religion by trickery. I dont deny the human condition, in fact I sympathise with it. I just think that some belief is better than no belief.

You're welcome to it. I lived among theists for my entire life. Never had any concern with them until they started planning to invade our schools.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

I think that the Illuminati and mass media influence is the real brain washing that's going on here, but that's just me right? I'm sure that's the real mind control for the masses. Good sheep. Good sheep. BAAAAHH! That's not referencing you that's just what it is like.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

The Bible does not say anywhere that when we die we go to Heaven or Hell. Rather it says the dead simply cease to exist like you were implying before. Only after the Resurrection do we get eternal life. The Kingdom of God. You don't turn into some floating spirit in some heavenly place.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Has anyone ever said on any of these types of posts that "Pagans are horrible parents because they brainwash their children into believing X"? Has anyone said that about Hindus? Muslims? Jedi?

Do you get the point?

This is unofficially the 23rd thread of the day for Christian vs. anti-Christian.**

**Notice I didn't say non-Christians. Just because someone is a non-Christian doesn't mean they are anti-Christian.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

"Has anyone ever said on any of these types of posts that "Pagans are horrible parents because they brainwash their children into believing X"? Has anyone said that about Hindus? Muslims? Jedi?"

Feeling martyred are we? Well, I can assure you that feeling a child's head full of fairy tales of any kind is a bad idea.

Did you ever tell your kids the truth about Santa or did they find out on their own? Remember how you felt when you found out the adults had been lying to you?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

what a bunch of self-serving BS

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Feeling martyred are we?

Not really. Are you looking for a fight? I'm not the one to give it to you. I just see that you believe brainwashing is the single domain of Christians and even more specifically American Christians.

Are you feeling froggy? Jump. Post that you think teaching any and all belief systems to children is brainwashing. Do it. Go to one of the new age sections and start a post with "Pagans are horrible brainwashers".

You won't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join