It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi judge: It's OK to slap spendthrift wives

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Real real long story dude, but many eye opening (and many tearful) experiences along the way.

Not to stray too far off topic though, I think the western world should really hang it's head in shame when it criticizes others for the way they treat women.

These behaviors are mostly inherited from religious doctrines, we only have to look to the bibles to see instructions on how to treat people in such an appalling manner.

When westerners look upon such behaviors they fail to notice they are just seeing reflections of how their forbears were which wasn't that long ago.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Why would I be critical of the Iran treats women in a thread that's not about that?

You are trying to pick a fight with the wrong person. I don't give Iran a free pass, I think they are demonized far more than they deserve and have many rights that they aren't privileged to because of certain nations, however I consider the wrongful treatment of any human being to be insane.

Why should I be forced to also say ohh Iran is bad too, in a threat about Saudi Arabia? You're mixing two completely different ideas, with two completely different countries with entirely different social and judicial systems.

Wherever it may be, regardless of the place on earth, people are to be treated fairly, that's the end of that story. It's not about whose doing what, it's whose NOT doing what.

Edit To Add: I also still stand by that quote you posted. A backwards social structure does not make people inherintly evil. Saudi Arabia isn't a evil country, neither is Iran, neither is ANY country.

Leaders and politicians and lawmakers are evil, to generalize the country as a whole is stupid regardless of what the generalization is.

~Keeper

[edit on 5/10/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
While working in Riyadh there was an English language newspaper that mentioned that husbands can beat their wives as long as their bruises don't show. So that was about 98% of the body that could be targeted since the only part that showed in public was their faces.

It was the same paper that reported that a reckless driving charge that was dismissed a Saudi driver from fault when he said that he drove into a crowd of people because he was distracted due to looking at a blond western woman in another car whose hair was uncovered.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

These behaviors are mostly inherited from religious doctrines, we only have to look to the bibles to see instructions on how to treat people in such an appalling manner.

When westerners look upon such behaviors they fail to notice they are just seeing reflections of how their forbears were which wasn't that long ago.

So we have to wait another 1300 years before these cultures come about to western levels of equality for women?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
that would be funny if it weren't true.

gee ... how advanced.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
What about the flip side , can a women slap the man if he spends wildly ?

I too can't understand why a man would want to slap a women . Is it do to some need to feel powerful ? Is there a streak of insecurity in these men that hit women ?

oh sure - then he gets to kill her slowly.

Basically everything men do, no matter how outrageous, is sanctioned. Women are imprisoned, mutilated, used as domestic servants and raped whenever a man needs sex. They can't get away, they aren't allowed any self-determination and every time they give birth to a boy, they know that they will continue the oppression.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

And we have sexuality & perfection shoved on us - almost every place we go anymore.

We are hardly out of the crazy zone.

Culture is culture - - its not a joke.

However - awareness of equality is something all cultures should strive for.

Yes I know that lol.

My basic point is that Saudi is an "extremist country" but what's ironic is that they DO NOT follow their religion properly at all, and they basically MAKE UP random rules and pretend it has to do with religion.

For example, banning roses would be against islam, there is no such rule.

Of course many countries have just as crazy things that happen.

But I just continue to get suprised at the extremely silly laws that I hear from saudi, that have no basis on logic or even the religon they follow, it's just weird.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I would like to slap my husband for his spendng habits, I am tired of paying for his lottery habits, his gaming habits, and his budweiser habit, but I hold my hand!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Yay, slap that man, go for it.

Seriously, I think that a lot of women put up with a lot of crap husbands.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
Yay, slap that man, go for it.

Seriously, I think that a lot of women put up with a lot of crap husbands.

And a lot of husbands/men put up with a lot of crap from women, especially when women sometimes get away with a lot more than men

That's reality I guess.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

LMAO!

Sorry, I'm not laughing at the violence or physical assault bits but at the whole context and the absurdity of the conversation with the law

I do enjoy seeing the law caught out by it's own use of obscure wording or semantics that leave a great deal for personal interpretation.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

OK, the illtreatment of women is rife.

Stop stop stop. Full stop.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Errrrr, does Saudi arabia have Wepons of Mass Destrucition like Iraq did? are they being made to look like bad bad humans so some of the good good humans can intervene?. I smell a conspiracy. lets see if more bad stuff comes from them in the next few months...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
As far as these camel jockey's are concerned, i honestly don't care as they only have about 20 odd years of oil left and then we all know whats going to happen. Its the only reason why they are spending heavily on tourism, that is all they can market on.

When that happens, then the family which runs the country, on the off chance that know on is aware of it, but Saudi Arabia is a family name, its not a country name. Getting back to the point, when they run dry is when the people will over run the royalty and form their true democratic elected government. Obviously this will happen with the blessing of the U.S. , but until then, we can only wait and look at the disgusting culture which is at hand.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join