It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Skill Would Make ME Priceless In a Post Apocalyptic World?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Gee, I am pretty much screwed then since I have only the most basic survival skills.

Do you think there will be much need for spiritual things? Since my best skill is giving people accurate readings, perhaps I can barter a reading or two for some food or water! LOL

Then again, storytellers could have one heck of a future. In many cultures that have faced destruction the story tellers actually became the historians. So, on I go doing readings and hoping for the best. Gee, if I would start charging I could get a whole bunch of survival stuff, I just don't feel right about charging for a gift. LOL

No flames, just being a bit humorous this morning.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
The ability to make people laugh.

If you can do that in a post apocalyptic world, you will be utterly unique.

I agree with that Kailassa. I think a great storyteller. I'll assume in the post-apocalyptic world there will be a shortage of journalists and news outlets.

Another thought that came to mind has already been discussed. A naturopath would be priceless.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I also think a Jack of all trades would be the most invaluable.

You might say a pocket solar-powered multimedia library is invaluable, but also think of the potential the group has.

If everybody's a dumb numbskull and would have 0 chance of mastering any art shown in the device, it is as good as useful other than for entertainment purposes.

Also *if* there are any factories or other buildings left standing that use computers in one way or another, anyone well-versed in computers and/or electronics would be invaluable. (Since anyone who can manage to get an ''offline'' location back ''online'' essentially created a new HQ for the group)

[edit on 11/5/09 by -0mega-]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If we'll see a post-apocalyptic world in our lifetime, I'd suggest being an undertaker.
Now that's truly priceless!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
I think the question really depends on who will be doing the chosing you or the other guy...

Your useless to an average guy,even though you may know atomic fission..Who just wants to homestead and live with out a worry of dying in his sleep if he takes you in his crew...But you have other motives..

Get what I'm saying..

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Redpillblues]

Good point, I admit it's quite a devious and disingenuous question.

Now that I come to think of it. But I guess most folk would do whatever it takes to survive.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Negotiator. Thugs will rob you of any asset such as food, water, women, etc... They will destroy your shelter and all that you consider valuable. You either must become a great leader or follower but choose your leader well. You will never survive alone or in very small groups no matter what your skill. Usually humans kill and ask questions later if they think you have anything of material value. I would prove myself a trapper, hunter, food gatherer and join a group capable of self defense against modern weaponry until weaponry ceased to function due to lack of bullets or spare parts. By that time you will be too old for them to worry too much about you and you will be in the clear. Then you can sit around the fireside a be a story teller or a wisened old fool.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Being able to manipulate people to kill all who would oppose you would be a valuable skill. It has worked for many world leaders.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ive been thinking the same thing and I have found that besides barter and trade u have to think about how many ppl r not awake, and what will benefit those that will wait till the last minute to do anything, I have been planning for many months and began with several friends making rocket stoves and preparing extra solar blankets and Ive also began making solar stoves in my garage, I KNOW they will come in handy, and they r extremely inexpensive and will help almost anyone, and btw I also checked into how much of my property I can grow tobacco on. IMO

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FX44rice

I don't exactly seeing skills in Sales being important.

"As you can see by this slide"...

Fail.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

So true on the being able to establish that you are valuable in the first few moments of an encounter.

Here's the scenario.

You are out "scouting" an area for additional provisions after your BUGOUT bag or stash runs out. You come around the corner and meet up with a group of 7 dudes also scouting. You have a nice selection of today's catches in your "green friendly" reusable shopping bag and they want it.

What now?

What are you going to do to convince them that you are more valuable than the goodies you're carrying?

"Hey guys, don't kill me. I moderately skilled in JAVA and I can power level in World of Warcraft!"

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

You would need the ability to bow down to a global dictator. Either that or stock up and learn to live with nothing but your bare hands.

There is a book called "Primitive skills" on Amazon. That would be the worst case scenerio.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by scraze
If we'll see a post-apocalyptic world in our lifetime, I'd suggest being an undertaker.
Now that's truly priceless!

Hi scraze I think FEMA beat you to it. They have mass cremations and graves planned.

The Feds may hire you for a computer tech though!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
SKills that are needed in a SHTF scenario would include: doctors (health), brewers (beer+wine), farmers (food), woodworking/building, hunting, military training (protection/etc), ability to recognize edible plants&fungii, fishing, tanning & curing animal hides, making tools/shelters, metal smithing

lots of stuff most city folk haven't a clue about

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I can and do make my own beer, wine, and cider. The problem with those skills is that I won't (probably) have access to the raw ingredients. Thinking now, I guess the easiest access would be to apples and berries.

Hopefully apples and berries will still grow after the SHTF.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

You wil be the first person that people will want to join them! Even if all else is screwed, they'll be able to drown their sorrows!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

I agree. Provided you survive, i think that being "indespensible" would be a little less important that providing for yourself and your family. Hunting and cooking are skills you would DEFINITELY need, skills in building different types of shelter, making tools and weapons, and gardening. It would probably be helpfull to be able to sew and make clothes too.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I think the best skill you can have in a post apocalytpic world is AWARENESS, CALMNESS AND OBJECTIVITY. You will have to go through a lot of trauma, and most people will be driven insane by such trauma. If you can remain calm, collected and confident in all situations, you are a priceless asset and a natural leader.

Never try to be the leader. In such a scenorio many people will try to be the leader by projecting power over others. Instead, just 'BE' when you are just "Being" everything happens automatically.

So I would highly recommend everybody who anticipates survival in the future to start meditating and practicing being present to the NOW. It's easier said than done, but if you can build the skill of bringing pure awareness to everything you do in life, from washing dishes to fighting in war, you will have a genuine life-skill that will prepare you for every single situation you face in life.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
A wet plate photographer. People will still want pics.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
You need the basics... But a lot depends on what type of Sit X we are dealing with and how much of the earth’s population is left. But let’s assume me are talking a mass wipe out of MOST of the human race... maybe Bird/Swine flu mutation has killed 95% of the human race...

What does a doctor do when a patient has an infection but the last of the drugs has been used?

This is something the old 70’s series “survivors” got me thinking about...

You cannot learn everything... for every modern day product there is hundreds of people with different skills involved in its construction.

Take a shovel... a very simple tool... how do you make one from scratch???
How do you extract the ore from the earth, smelt it, shape it and finish it? Where do you get the fuel to smelt the ore, how do you refine the fuel to smelt the ore?
How do you make the handle for the shovel? Could you fell the timber and carve it into the correct shape. Would you know what timber to use? Would you know how to make the varnish to treat the timber?

No one person can know everything...

For self survival you would need the very raw basics... Know your wild foods... know how to recognise edible plants from poisonous. Learn basic butchery skills, trapping and hunting.

Learn flint knapping to make basic stone tools for when your last blade breaks.

Learn how to preserve food.

Learn how to use Animal skins.

Learn first aid.

Combat skills would be useful but i believe not as necessary as some people think. But then that depends how many people are left... the more people the greater the risk of violence.

Don’t know if any of you are old enough to remember the old BBC series of survivors...

Survivors

It’s old and dated but still has a fantastic message and some great story’s

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Muckster]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Been away working on another site for a while.

What Skill Would Make ME Priceless In a Post Apocalyptic World? Well first thing is you have to live through the Apocalyptic world to get to the post apocalyptic world. In a real honest to god SHTF end of times as we know it the world population would drop to or below the pre-industrial revolution numbers. You can fill in your own reasons but figure transport at 6 mph vs. 600 mph now. Food will be from where you can walk or drive an animal vs. from any where in the world. On medication that keeps you alive? You are a woman that has had a C section and you get in a family way? You have bad teeth? The list goes on and on but the hard truth is that most of us, my self included, probably will not make it very long.

Now we have a baseline to work from. Every one that is left, 1 out of a 100 say, is pretty handy, has maintained their health, knows how to find food and is willing to use harsh means to end disputes. What can I offer them? People will have banded together into tribes, each tribe will have different needs and wants. They will also be working off a very short resource pool and anyone brought in must have a very valuable skill. If they are having problems with another tribe near by, being a stone killer may be the ticket. If they have a problem with bad water then a background in environmental health or water treatment may be your ticket in. High mortality in child birth? Then being a midwife becomes of value.

I see this type of thread as a way for people to try and avoid the hard work of being prepared2survive. What can I do quick and easy to make it so others will take care of me? "I will not eat meat how can I find enough food to live my happy ever?" "I think that we should not hurt each other and live in a happy place." "I want to spend my money on cloths, starbucks a new car and cable not on some pack or fire starter, but you will help me if things go bad won't you?" This is how I see it. If times get real bad there are those who will eat the Vegans first as they are not as gamey tasting. Those who want to live in a happy place and not hurt other people will have their gear split up by those who have no trouble hurting people. And the people who do not prepare will be head down and @ss up in a turnip field working as a slave for some one who had his stuff wired tight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join