It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US accused of using 'illegal' white phosphorus in chemical attack that killed Afghan civilians

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

It appears that this was a setup, a trap, by the Taliban.

Apparently, in the days prior to the US air strikes, the Taliban had beheaded at least three villagers for who knows why. The US was asked to help, sent in air strikes, and the Taliban immediately called foul, making it look like the US callously targeted civilians.

I doubt very much if this will spur the villagers to join the 'resistance'.

Military: Taliban Were Beheading Locals

And, I wonder, if any American troops are captured by the Taliban: will the Taliban refuse to resort to waterboarding because it is 'torture'?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

A military is never to be designed to be nation builders, police, statesmen, and are not to be concerned with winning the hearts and minds.

You are absolutely incorrect once more.

Both the Monguls and Romans excelled at winning hearts and minds. They would move into a new territory and retain the artists, craftsman, priests, builders and merchants of that society, kill those who opposed them or the concept of taxation, and then provide stable laws and economic opportunities based on merging the best ellements of Roman or Mongul Culture with the best retained ellements of the indigenous people.

When a bankrupt Rome bled white from too many wars of expansion and broke from the cost of Bread and Circuses and an ever diminishing tax base brought on by the continued consolodation of the State's wealth in fewer and fewer Patrician hands, found it self under attack not from Barbarian hordes looking to conquest Rome but to demand inclussion to the standard of living, laws and freedoms, science, art, culture and health that made Rome great.

They weren't looking to take it away from the Romans they were upset the Romans were taking it away from them because of their own poor economic planning in maintaining a sustainable economy.

While you look to excuse a clear inability on behalf of politicians to listen to Generals and provide proper troop levels, funding and logistics based on the doctrines of poor sited military campaigns that failed to win hearts and minds because of poor logistics and intelligence and leadership as being some kind of justification to excuse the very obvious need to do so, that sucessful empires like the Romans and Monguls always employed in order to bear no responsibility politically for those failures and to use it as an excuse to simply elevate violence that drives up resistence you fail to take note of the wiser politicians and generals that for thousands of years have displayed two very simple things.

You must have a culture that enhances the conquered while respecting theirs and merging it together to create a secure and prosperous state, and you must do it in short rapid order because the cost of maintaining an occupation endlessly is a bankrupting thing.

America can not economically afford the cost of these wars for the same reason Rome could no longer maintain it's frontiers. There is no wealth to pay for that task and while our politicians are delighted to flame prejudices and hatreds to distract the home population from their domestic failures, it is those domestic issues that are far more pressing because it is failure to keep time with them that leads to the collapse of Empires like Rome's and the Monguls.

You are making excuses that a bad strategy simply ought to be doubled in it's efforts and will work, when history clearly shows any army that can not win the hearts and minds of the territory it has occupied will bankrupt itself in due course as it drags on as well as create political movements within the home nations population who realize the bankrupting cost is destroying their own home in the process because of the failure of it's armies to win hearts and minds.

8 years is an occupation long failed. We have not created a stable government but a heavily fortified zone where a puppet regime can simply rubber stamp what there is to be pillaged in commerce and natural resources by our forces, but that weak government that does not represent the will of the indigenous population is no different in stripe or nature than the ones the Soviets put in place that led in large part to the Bankruptcy of their state.

War is a continuation of politics my friend and at all points politics need to be shrewdly and carefully considered, I am far less concerned about conquering Afghanistan than I am shoring up a nation whose economy and political process that I call home is on the verge of collapse while this fruitless and thankless endeavor is being waged at no end for little but the egos and comfort of idealouges and religious xenophobes who lack the inherent wisdom, experience, or wise counsel to see to where there true threats lie.

We really need to just abandon these two worthless pieces of terrain. We can only manipulate oil prices by controlling it's flow, we can't steal it out right, and we are foolishly manipulating them to enrich but a few at our nations expense which the economy took the worst turn when the dibilitating cost of gasoline over this past summer ate so deeply into household budgets of people of limited means it set off a fresh round of credit defaults by people having to choose to pay for gas to get to work or pay their mortgage, car note, or credit cards instead.

We need Israel to cool it and to keep oil prices low, Shell and Rothschild, Exxon and Rockerfeller be damned. We need to enhance stability in the region and the best way to do that is to do no more harm while we are over there and get out as quickly as we can to start elliminating that expense. We don't have the money needed to win the hearts and minds even if we had politicians wise enough to let the Generals who really truly do know how to do it if you just get them the logistics.

I understand there is a problem with Europes oil having the Russians control the tap and that they would love to run that Pipeline now going through Afghanistan out through Pakistan and down to the sea to elliminate that threat of Russian blackmail on Europe and that the Tribal Areas that are wild on the Border stand in the way of doing that.

Just like the Russians stood in the way in Georgia from letting them reach the sea and claim a port for oil export.

The Europeans should be bearing that cost, not the United States that oil will flow to Europe not the U.S. and it's in Europe's Strategic Interest and I am tired of well over a century of political manipulation where the United State's hungry and poor and huddled masses are just shoved into Uniform to do what European boys should be doing, just like Vietnamese boys should have been doing, just like Afghanistan or Iragi boys should be doing if they really thought the problems we like to magnify were all that pressing.

They aren't and they are bankrupting us economically and eroding our constitutional principals as desperate corrupt politicians look for cover in taxing us to death for their kickbacks.

It's reall simple dooper.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

A military is supposed to be a war machine. And that alone is a full plate. And that's been the reason for our Western failure in the ME.

This is why I suspect you hail from Israel and not America my friend...as you are also particularly incorrect about American Military abilities.

I live on Miami Beach. Miami Beach is a 10 mile long 1 mile wide man made Island brought to me courtesy of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

I am seperated from the Main Land U.S.A. by a man made water way designed for deep water shipping to port brought to me by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Most of the mainland of south, South Florida was all mesquito and alligator and snake infested swamp for as long as the eye can see. It is now solid terra though with a bustling thriving city all brought to me by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

New Orleans likewise is protected by a Dike and is a thriving below sea level city made habital and relatively safe by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

From the Carolinas on down to Florida are a series of Nuclear Reactors for Power Plants that all required the cooling of large bodies of water, and a series of lakes made and rivers redirected all brought to me by the U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers.

In fact most of the most important parts of U.S. infrastructure from coast to coast are brought to me by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Best in the world lest you forget, so lets not pretend we can't build infrastructure through the Army.

Thanks my friend.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Winning hearts and minds in an occupation is what military strategy then becomes all about in occupations. You build infrastructure, increase education, health and welfare, improve sanitation, provide adequate security, freedom of movement and employment opportunities so that the civilians can create a stable economy that provides a more stable way of life than any guerilla movements or insurgency or reactionary political factions can.

This is a pie in the sky goal that is virtually unattainable. Afghanistan doesn't even have a basic road structure; most villagers use wadis or goat paths to travel between villages.

Afghanistan is one of the most desolate places on earth. You need to ask yourself why they have not developed more on their own.

What you are proposing would take several generations and hundreds of billions of dollars - and that is in a stable, war-free country.

The Taliban keep the people stuck in a stone-age mentality and atmosphere. That makes them easier to control. The locals know no better; that is all they have ever known.

It is ideas like the ones you keep putting forth and things like this incident that resulted in the thread that is winning Islamic converts for Muslims, and driving the immigration of Muslims into Europe to get out of the range of indiscriminately fired American and Israeli munitions and short sighted policies formulated by people who read Von Clauzewitz "War is but a continuation of politics by other means" who are neither adept politicians, strategists or generals and it truly shows in the results they are achieving.

Why go to Europe? Why not Libya, Syria, Iran, Egypt, or Saudi Arabia? Or some other mideastern country, where they would fit into the existing culture so much easier?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

The Romans did not pull any punches, and dealt with their conquests most harshly. Once they crushed all opposition, they did in fact extend citizenship, sent in military governors to oversea the transition, and ruled.

Ghengis did the same thing. He absolutely crushed his foes first, then set up his organization. But his military arm was long gone and engaged in other conquests.

A military is designed, by definition, to be a war machine. Always has, always will.

Your Corps of Engineers did well. So?

It sure as hell wasn't the First Marine Division that dug that canal, it it certainly wasn't the First Cav.

Once a military has defeated a country, enemy, or people, they are (according to all successful military leaders over the millennia) supposed to egress right the hell out.

The reason?

To maintain freedom of movement.

There's always someone else that needs shooting.

Always.

And you don't tie your military down performing non-military tasks, which would preclude your from action as needed.

You need police? Get police.

You need administrators. Get Administrators.

You need politicians? No one ever needs politicians, but you get the idea.

A military is supposed to be a unique, small, effective means of destruction, either in defense, or when you have them on the run, offense.

This modern bastardization of concepts is exactly why we haven't won a single war since the creation of the Joint Chiefs.

Too many useless, counterproductive tasks.

And our damned useless generals allow it.

To our detriment.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Just the same, maybe the US should emulate China and let the so-called democracies figure their own * out.

Within a decade, the Taliban/al-Queda type of Islam should be thoroughly spread all through Europe.

And we'll have to have a repeat of centuries past.

Well then why is it that the US didn't go after the heart of the beast, the brand of Islam which the radicals come from are the schools being built by the house of Saud.
Osama is a Suadi, 9 out of 10 hijackers where Saudi.
yet Afghanistan was attacked and next Pakistan.

Circle the wagons peaople, because we got Iran in the middle to use as a camp fire.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Just to comment on the topic:

Weaponized White Phosphorous has been used by insurgents many times. I personally have never seen it except in flares for illumination (which burnout before they hit the ground mosty) and smoke screens. I have never seen it in any other context and I'm pretty sure it isn't even in our inventories any more. The Taliban is playing a little game with us. Last week they got into a firefight with us, killed civilians with grenades, then when we responded with an airstrike they made it look like we killed the civilians. They are trying to get Karzai (sp?) to ban our airstrikes because we are tearing them up. This week they are using White Phosphorous. Next week it will be something else. They are using the Media that you hate so much to influence you and they are doing a good job.

McKiernan was a exceptional conventional warfare commander. McCrystal is an exceptional Unconventional warfare commander. He was the DCO of Special forces command. I am certain this is why he was chosen for the Job. Afghanistan will be won by finding, training , and leading the anti-Taliban afghans to drive out the Taliban. Turning the public's opinion around on them and showing that we want them to succeed is how we will beat them.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Thanks for your response, and putting this out.

You just disappointed a lot of folks on this thread who had their minds already made up about our own evils, ignoring those games the other side are playing.

I think we'll see a bit different strategy implemented with the new CG.

And they thought I was making this up, or that I didn't have any idea of what the hell I was talking about.

You hang in there, and you guys keep up the good work. A few of us who've been there know what obstacles you're going through.

And oddly, we had to fight bad press and idiots at home as well.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

This is a pie in the sky goal that is virtually unattainable. Afghanistan doesn't even have a basic road structure; most villagers use wadis or goat paths to travel between villages.

Afghanistan is one of the most desolate places on earth. You need to ask yourself why they have not developed more on their own.

What you are proposing would take several generations and hundreds of billions of dollars - and that is in a stable, war-free country.

The Taliban keep the people stuck in a stone-age mentality and atmosphere. That makes them easier to control. The locals know no better; that is all they have ever known.

Why yes, yes it is…now ask yourself this my friend, why then would we be there to what purpose or end?

You have failed to understand Von Clausewitz lesson of “War is but a continuation of politics by other means.”

So what then is our true goal? While you continue to get bogged down with the reality on the ground, ever so hazy by that lovely fog of war, that of course the hounds must be let slip to fall upon, what there in that breach is it that Caesar desires that he so commands?

Do you know? Have you any idea? For the devil is in the details my friend, and if you simply reversed engineered any strategy by it’s outcome, and then looked at how that outcome might serve Caesar, now you know what the Devil is up to and after?

Do you have such a mind for politics that war is only used as a continuation of, or can you see only tactics themselves while fighting for a goal in a war only your emperor knows?

That’s the question you have failed to ask yourself.

Why go to Europe? Why not Libya, Syria, Iran, Egypt, or Saudi Arabia? Or some other mideastern country, where they would fit into the existing culture so much easier?

Why indeed, surely Caesar must know he is creating a 4th column in this mad undertaking of his! Is Caesar daft or are those who follow him without question or understanding? The age old question which came first the Chicken or the Egg, why would Caesar want a fourth column in the heart of the Holy part of his empire? One that is opposed in only small part to Caesar’s empire but in large part to the fact that it claims to be Holy, yet clearly Caesar would not have done this by unleashing his very own 13th Legion upon the people now who feel they must infiltrate into that part of his Empire which is Holy. Could it be Caesar is a pagan and has no use for itself?

Ah I see you bear the the 13th's Standard and Crest next to your name. Rest assured Caesar appreciates your service. As always he counts on your stoic resolve.

It sure is fun to discuss tactics and strategy with those who don’t even know which war they are fighting or when it began or it’s goals. I can see why Caesar would keep these things from you. A soldier’s life is a hard one though they pursue their love of excitement, brute force, and the promise of hero’s tribute in life or in death, while Caesar simply divides and conquers, divides and conquers, and divides and conquers most intent upon his own glories.

Perhaps Sun Tzu should have added “know your own general” and not just your enemy. Then of course since he was one himself he truly would have had no reason to suggest to others especially those who would follow him to die in his battles something that perhaps might not serve him so very well.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The error is your taking conventional warfare in history's conquests and applying it to an insurgency. There are ten key differences you must adhere to if you are going to defeat an insurgency. We learned them the hard way in the Philippines, and it took us a few years to re-learn them, I am confident we will get it right.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Yeah, you should have read a bit further into Clausewitz. Cherry-picking is a bad habit to pick up.

"Now philanthropists may easily imagine that there is a skillful method of disarming and overcoming an enemy without causing great bloodshed, and that this is the proper tendency of the Art of War. However plausible this may appear, it is an error that must be extirpated . . ." CLAUSEWITZ

And I really like Sun Tzu as well.

"So the important thing in a military operation is victory, not pesistence." Sun Tzu

A student of his, stated:

"What is best is a quick victory and a speedy return." Meng Shi

Do you have any other points of military wisdom you'd care to share?

May we all learn.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Taleban using white phosphorus, some of it made in Britain

Taleban fighters have been using deadly white phosphorus munitions, some of them manufactured in Britain, to attack Western forces in Afghanistan, according to previously classified United States documents released yesterday

Article from the times might be of interest for those following this thread.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

The Romans did not pull any punches, and dealt with their conquests most harshly. Once they crushed all opposition, they did in fact extend citizenship, sent in military governors to oversea the transition, and ruled.

So why then would Caesar take such a soft and partial approach when he first cried Havoc upon the hills of Afghanistan? Does it sound like Caesar would do such a thing to you? Caesar is not dumb but cunning and crafty; I know what you might be saying but look around for a sign of that treacherous Brutus that of course by no mere coincidence rhymes with Judas. Why would Caesar seek to only stir the hornets nest and take great caution and care to let his declared foe exit the fray?

You claim to know strategy my friend, explain to me how that which has been employed suits Caesar’s purpose and then I shall believe you when you lay claim to knowing the art of war so well which is simply the continuation of politics by another means.

Ghengis did the same thing. He absolutely crushed his foes first, then set up his organization. But his military arm was long gone and engaged in other conquests.

He simply sought to emulate Caesar but don’t you know many have. I suppose though you labor under the assumption that the Holy Ghost is that of a conquered people’s G-d as opposed to Caesar’s very own? “And they still know not what they do.”

A military is designed, by definition, to be a war machine. Always has, always will.

It is but a political engine, employed in that regard, politics is war my friend and wars are fought for no other reason. If you are part of the machine, perhaps it might be best to not imagine you are its pilot or know best where it might or how it might be employed.

It was Caesar who rode in the Chariot upon his return to Rome whose crown of Laurels and Grass was the sum total of what he was fighting for. What is it that you are fighting for dooper my friend?

Your Corps of Engineers did well. So?

It sure as hell wasn't the First Marine Division that dug that canal, it it certainly wasn't the First Cav.

Many a brave engineer has lost his life to provide the avenues of egress and regress and means to which to breach those fortifications and carry out the assault. I do believe you fail to recognize the importance of logistics in military undertakings or pay proper homage and respect to those who in fact most make them possible. If the military is a machine no machine can function with out its engineers young Skywalker. You might want to abandon the dark side of the force sometime soon!

Once a military has defeated a country, enemy, or people, they are (according to all successful military leaders over the millennia) supposed to egress right the hell out.

They are supposed to follow their chain of commands orders and do as their Emperor commands. Sulla was no imbecile my friend when he marched his legion past the Rubicon to boldly go where only Caesar dared to follow. War is a continuation of politics by another means my friend, and the military is only an instrument of that thought. It serves it’s Master, often without knowing to what end or purpose it serves. One day if it is your desire you might understand war a bit better.

The reason?

To maintain freedom of movement.

There's always someone else that needs shooting.

Always.

The military has no freedom of movement but is bound by oath and obligation to serve its Master or risk shame and disgrace. There only freedom is to follow the orders passed along to them or face the direst consequences for insubordination and impetuousness. There is no freedom involved save to surrender to its harsh and rigorous disciplines or to suffer the consequences of that shame in not so doing.

There is always someone else that needs shooting and don’t you know Earnst Rhoem and his merry band of brothers were not all that surprised when sometimes it’s the Emperor’s military itself that needs shooting. Ah to live by the sword to die by the sword all for the political glory of the State.

Do you imagine the good S.A. Leader came up with that strategy himself Dooper in a command you would have been several levels down in?

Always!

And you don't tie your military down performing non-military tasks, which would preclude your from action as needed.

You need police? Get police.

You need administrators. Get Administrators.

You need politicians? No one ever needs politicians, but you get the idea.

I get why you fight your wars for Caesar online and not in the actual military Dooper. Perhaps you should leave the strategy to Caesar since the plan has been going so well.

Not that you know the plan or objective but take Caesar’s word for it, he is delighted with the progress being made.

A military is supposed to be a unique, small, effective means of destruction, either in defense, or when you have them on the run, offense.

This modern bastardization of concepts is exactly why we haven't won a single war since the creation of the Joint Chiefs.

Too many useless, counterproductive tasks.

And our damned useless generals allow it.

To our detriment.

This is Caesar’s way divide and conquer, divide and conquer, divide and conquer. Tell me what do you think about Caesar’s Governor Obama wanting to introduce an entirely new force that is devoid of the chains of command of the 13th?

If you understood Caesar’s plan my friend and that it is to your detriment you might not be so anxious to play the role he has cast you in. It is why it is better to learn than imagine you know for pure ego’s sake, but I imagine some egos take on quite a life of their own. Divide and Conquer, divide and conquer it is Caesar’s way.

Hail Caesar.

I sure will be glad when this campaign is over and can get back to the Temple of Bachus enjoy a nice time at a bathhouse and attend a proper orgy. It’s been such a long war my friend.

I came, I saw, I conquered!

I must bid you goodnight now friend Dooper some of the Empire's gentler souls need tending to now.

Ciao.

[edit on 11/5/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

your taking a lot of hits from these liberals but i think your still standing war just isnt pretty know matter how you slice it but im wondering if you heard about the french frigate attacked by pirates last week and the pirates were captured and the french navy said they werent sure what to do with them so that tells me they werent planning on capturing any of them to begin with now they consult with the european union now theres a lot of sharp people over there too i think they want to bring them over here to be with the rest of the taliban off the coast of florida and then obama and his mama will lobby to let them all go

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Since Julius Caesar never cried out diddly * upon the hills of Afghanistan, I assume you're not speaking in a literal sense. Which would indicate you scotched someone's term paper or thesis.

By speaking in the rambling tongue of scholars, you can always claim that you were misinterpreted, or misunderstood, all the time talking babble.

I found that it helped me to lay off the Scotch and Brandy when I was trying to convey in plain language my words and intents. Otherwise, I sounded just like this.

Your Caesar was vain, overconfident, and in the end, suicidal. You say he fought for the laurels of victory? No he didn't.

Caesar fought for personal glory. He was a selfish bastard, brilliant field tactician to be sure, but it was always about him, and his tactics failed him on the Senate floor. Not a lot of that noble Roman stuff with Caesar.

You ask by contrast - what did I fight for? Why hell, old son, I fought for the grandest, most noble cause in the world - the guy next to me!

I fought for them. They fought for me.

Hell, man. It doesn't get any better than that.

You see, you asked the wrong question, and your purpose is glaringly transparent.

Oh. For you to lecture me about Engineers? I had four MOS's in the military. Military Occupational Specialties. In Special Forces, I was the team . . . . ENGINEER! So, I'm just a bit familiar wiht the duties and difficulties of an engineer.

And I'm not young Skywalker on the dark side???? Bad Scotch???

If you're going to quote others, such as Clausewitz, please have the courtesy to indicate that you quoted someone else. You know the sentence, "war is a continuation . . ."

Maybe you need to sleep it off. You're rambling pretty bad, and it's hard to keep up. I mention the necessity for a military to maintain freedom of movement, and you're off on some mystical, nebulous, conceptual brainfart which is completely out of context with what I was referring to.

Sounds like you alreay spent the evening in the Temple of Bacchus. (that's how it's spelled._

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by robatmj12

I may be getting shot at a lot, but no hits yet.

You don't want to know what I think about the piracy thing. To date, only two pirates have been handled absolutely correctly.

Yeah. Obama may have these captured pirates over for a fish fry. Who knows what Obama is going to do? Hell, HE doesn't even know what he's going to do.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Whatever you said. Same as you.

So many embedded snipes in your response, it would be impossible to discuss with you without addressing those first.

But that's not productive. I don't want to play.

Buh-bye.

Back on topic:

SoS Hillary Clinton has apologized for the casualties, and promised that an "investigation" into the incident will be done.

www.thedailybeast.com...

Gee thanks, Hill.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Yeah, I dont doubt they used WP before in the mid east for example, Fallujah, but Im going with Taliban false-flag here.

As for the rest,
you guys out to start your own damn thread, wayyy off topic, Protoplasmic, I suggest you go into combat (if you already havent) so you can see the other point of view, and dooper, I suggest you get some therapy... your kill switch is obviously broken...

Its not friggen impossible to be a soldat and still care for civilians, I cannot imagine having done that to them. Jeez guys, maybe you should look up Romeo Dallaire. He's a former general I met in Canada who led in the Rwanda genocide. Im sure he would be appallled at people like dooper...
Seriously man, your view will change as soon as US is invaded and its YOUR civilians being WP'ed and bombed to get a handful of terrorists, or in other term, civilian militia resisting the police state... (assuming its happens)

And for the record, i think it was Mao who said "Politics is war without bloodshed, politics is war without bloodshed."

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Latest news from Afghanistan...

Teams Of Suicide Bombers Hit Afghan City

www.cbsnews.com...

(AP) Officials say teams of suicide bombers and insurgents attacked two government buildings in eastern Afghanistan, sparking running gun battles in a major Afghan city.

Armed insurgents took government workers hostage and ambushed an American quick reaction force, wounding one U.S. soldier.

Officials say at least four security forces, two civilians and an unknown number of militants died in the attack in an eastern Khost city that raged for hours. A doctor said bodies lay in the street that medical workers couldn't reach because of the fighting.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The other side of the story?

Taliban raids Afghan state offices

english.aljazeera.net...

About 30 fighters wearing suicide vests and using AK-47s and grenades, have attacked government buildings in the Afghan city of Khost, a Taliban spokesman has said.

All roads in and out of the provincial capital of southeastern Khost province were closed on Tuesday as the fighting continued to rage.

At least four soldiers and two civilians were killed in the attacks, with another 13 people injured.

The unnamed spokesman said that Khost had been targeted because of the heavy US military presence there.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join