It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US accused of using 'illegal' white phosphorus in chemical attack that killed Afghan civilians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

US accused of using 'illegal' white phosphorus in chemical attack that killed Afghan civilians

www.dailymail.co.uk

The US faced damning claims tonight that it used white phosphorus bombs in a battle with Taliban fighters that resulted in the death of scores of innocent Afghan civilians.

Doctors in Afghanistan have found horrific burns on victims of the slaughter a week ago they believe could have been caused by the chemical, which bursts into fierce fire on contact with the air and can stick to and even penetrate flesh as it burns.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It seems like yesterday that the entire world was united in condemnation of Israel for allegedly using white phosphorus on Palestinians in Gaza.

Where is the immediate outrage over these allegations against the US military which like Israel denies it's use?

Is this still a Bush war, or an Obama war??

Despite calls to halt these strikes the US military has said:

NSC chief: U.S. won't stop Afghan airstrikes

WASHINGTON - In a blunt rebuff of the Afghan president, President Barack Obama's national security adviser said Sunday the United States would not end the airstrikes in Afghanistan that have reportedly killed hundreds of civilians in the course war.

Most recently, Hamid Karzai said U.S. bombing and air strikes western Afghanistan's Farah province may have killed as many as 130 civilians.

Change?

Indeed we have changed so much since the Bush administration.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Guys, come on. The Taliban has been rounding up civilians to use as human shields. If it works, fine, if it doesn't, then that's fine too as they get to use the casualties as propaganda.

These guys are some really evil bastards.

They want to go to the Muslim paradise, which Muhammed said was underneath the swords of struggle, but they feel compelled to want to take innocents with them.

They should be aggressively hunted. Hunted, just as big game is hunted.

And then put down as any other rabid animal.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Guys, come on. The Taliban has been rounding up civilians to use as human shields. If it works, fine, if it doesn't, then that's fine too as they get to use the casualties as propaganda.

Do we have proof of that?

We should lower ourselves to killing and/or burning civilians to get these Taliban?

Speaking of the Taliban, I thought they were all in Pakistan with Al Qaeda now fighting the Pakistani military and police?

At any rate, killing civilians is not going to ease the threat of terrorism in the USA, it will likely only serve to recruit and motivate even more terrorists.

No wonder the Middle East was so skeptical of the promise of change from a new administration. It's too bad that more Americans didn't share their skepticism.

These guys are some really evil bastards.

US or them?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
From another source...

Afghan rights group probes phosphorus use in attack

www.usatoday.com

KABUL (AP) — Doctors voiced concern over "unusual" burns on Afghan villagers wounded in an already controversial U.S.-Taliban battle, and the country's top human rights groups said Sunday it is investigating the possibility white phosphorus was used.
The American military denied using the incendiary in the battle in Farah province— which PresidentHamid Karzai has said killed 125 to 130 civilians — but left open the possibility that Taliban militants did. The U.S. says Taliban fighters have used white phosphorus, a spontaneously flammable material that leaves severe chemical burns on
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This source seems to blame NATO rather than the USA while limiting the alleged burns to only one 8 year old victim...

www.hrw.org...

(New York) - NATO forces in Afghanistan should immediately release the results of their investigation into a March 14, 2009, incident in which an 8-year-old girl in Kapisa province was burned by white phosphorus munitions, Human Rights Watch said today. A NATO spokesperson has denied allegations from the girl's father that NATO forces had fired the rounds that caused her injuries.

So it's NATO when things go bad now?

Nasty stuff, or propaganda?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Proof? All we have proof of is some dead bodies. They were killed by someone.

I stand amazed at all the opinions of how combat should be conducted, by all those who've never been in a combat situation.

If these turds herded civilians into houses, or intruded into houses, and then used these positions to fire from, then on whose head is the blood?

Come on!

These people, including the Taliban, Al-Queda, Hizballah, and Hamas are masters of using civilians. Recall the civilians driven before the gunmen during the advance of the military in Iraq.

These fanatics don't care about civilian deaths! They count on them!

Where's my proof?

Where's yours that suggests that Americans or NATO intentionally targeted civilians!

When some yo-yo is firing at you, you return fire by whatever means you have to eliminate the turd firing.

If he has civilians inside the same building, how in hell is anyone supposed to know that?

What? Call Superman and have him use X-ray vision?

This isn't a frikkin chess game! It's real! And you do the best, with what you have, when you know, what you know.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Does this not miss the point? Surely any bombing of innocent civilians counts as a war crime according to International Law? I know the U.S does not abide by this, but really however the civilians are being killed it is all wrong, TOTALLY WRONG.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Where in the world do you get these ideas?

Bombing combatants, and civilians get killed is in some twisted, cockeyes manner a WAR CRIME?

Since WHEN?

Oh! That's right. Since Israel killed some civilians in counterattacks.

My bad.

Excuse me.

Now the world is turned upside down, and I'm stuck right-side up.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Where do i get the idea that bombing a nation and killing their civilians without invitation is a war crime, hmmmm? And don't even pretend the Afghanistani's want the Americans or British there, they want them out as much as they do the 'Taleban' out.

How is this bombing going to solve anything? The Taleban will never be defeated, it will just cost more lives on both sides and create more potential 'terrorists'.

The problem with the Western powers, in particular America and Britain, is that we seem to see Terrorisim, abroad, as a military problem with a military solution, when in relaity it is a law enforcement issuse. If we stop interfering in peoples politics so much such as Pakistan and offer them incentives to join us, i am sure we could build up a healthy trust based relationship where information would be shared freely on suspects and problem areas, instead of basing the fight against terror on this indiscriminate bombing where 20 'enemy combatents' are killed here and 30 there, when in reality many of these people killed will be innocents trapped in the middle with families as a result, bent on revenge.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I started a thread earlier today how China has passed the US with trade

with Brazil and other S American Countries. This shows the 2 different types

of "influencing people and winning freinds . The US Kills people , and China

makes business deals. As far as the white phosorous , another source uk.news.yahoo.com... confirms this,

We'll have to see how this is "spinned".

Maybe the US will say she had a "really big rock " and she threatened the

biggest military on the planet .

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I cant agree more, all this achieves is what the Taliban want, more hatred for the west and more recruits.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Now the world is turned upside down, and I'm stuck right-side up.

That is likely how the Afghan people feel, except now they have the addition of a target fixed to their backsides.

In the end this former war on terrorism now an overseas contingency plan may have changed terminology, but ultimately it is simply a continuation of aggressive policies that will one day bite back.

The rest of the world will cheer this time.

Overseas contingency operation; building terrorism one bomb at a time.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
No offense meant to our troops who are just doing a job...

I have to tell you I am starting to feel pretty ashamed to be an American these days.

I can't believe 8 years later we are still killing people in Iraq and Iran over 19 alledged Saudi Highjackers that no criminal case has ever been brought into an American Court of Law proving the conspiracy?

I feel like a citizen of an illegal enterprise I have been kidnapped into joining while I have to listen constantly to otherwise decent people absolve their own consciesness with some of the most bigoted, ill founded, ill concieved justifications for pretending other human beings aren't really human beings just because they don't wear the same clothes as we do, eat the same food as we do, and worship in the same fashion we do.

I sure don't know how that works, 8 year old girls scarred for life in a poor country that couldn't even invade a Wal-mart if it wanted to let alone the United States of America.

It sure sucks having to be ashamed of your own Country, I sure would like to have my dignity back one day, I have to tell you, so many thousands upon thousands of innocent children, women and men killed, mamed, scarred, degrated and made homeless...I don't know how the heck I am ever going to get my dignity back. I don't even have a clue how to make ammends for that kind of inhumanity.

I sure hope that Christian G-d turns out to be as forgiving as everyone claims he is, kind of risky proposition considering all these people worship the same G-d too.

Me I am already in Hell having to live with this on my concsious and knowing some of my money pays for it.

Blessed are the peacemakers...anyone happen to see one?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Jeez, peru, I don't remember anyone inviting Muslim fanatics to drop our Towers and kill a large number of our civilians.

So if Afghanistan didn't want us coming to Afghanistan, they shouldn't have let their guests, Al-Queda to set up training bases.

And the problem isn't with the Western Powers somehow confising a military task with a law enforcement task.

Ask Spain about their policing task. That went well, didn't it? When you lose hundreds of people, to Muslim fanatics blowing up your embassies, your ships, and attacking your homeland, you don't call the damned police.

Good God!

These Muslim fundamentalists trade in one commodity. Ruthless force. Oddly, that's the one thing they absolutely do understand, and do not get confused.

Until your post, I'd never met someone with such a clear, certain indication of how this should be handled. I'm sure that if you can spare the time, I could help raise your airfare to go talk to these folks in Afghanistan and Pakistan, reason with them, lay it out convincingly, and come to an agreement.

Hell. I had no idea it was so straightforward and simple.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Proto, I have no idea what you're talking about.

You suggest that we are attacking folks who couldn't attack a Wal-Mart over here.

When were you born?

These same people harbored the folks who dropped our towers, blew up our embassies, and attacked our ships.

Did all this happen before you were born?

Wow. Doesn't seem all that long ago to me, but it sure as hell indicates some short memories over here.

But you're right about one thing.

We'll lose this thing.

Because we can't remember diddly squat.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

These same people harbored the folks who dropped our towers, blew up our embassies, and attacked our ships.

So we should bomb them and burn them until we eliminate this enemy, despite the number of civilian casualties?

How long before the formerly friendly civilians of Afghanistan form militias and fight back with the Taliban and fabricated Al qaeda?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Twice, this area now called Afghanistan has been conquered.

The first time by Alexander. He struggled against these same folks for years until he finally depopulated vast regions. But he had his peace.

Ghenghis Khan also conquered this area, and he too, was eventually compelled to depopulate vast regions.

I really don't care what we have to do, but we need to either do the same thing, or get out, as this half-assed approach is getting us nowhere.

We whiz on the fire, call in the dogs, come home, and let them and their guests have at us.

Seems that's the only way a lot of short-memory folks here in the States come to a realization.

Maybe next time, we'll get it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Proto, I have no idea what you're talking about.

You suggest that we are attacking folks who couldn't attack a Wal-Mart over here.

When were you born?

Wait, that 8 year old Afghani girl dropped our towers, blew up embassies and bombed our ships?

Oh, she didn't but some of her neighbors belong to the same organization that did those things.

Yeah, that justifies burning her alive with White Phosphorous.

Seriously.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by drwizardphd]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Are you advocating some form of genocide in Afghanistan?

When all else fails, kill em' all?

I really don't care what we have to do, but we need to either do the same thing, or get out, as this half-assed approach is getting us nowhere.

Oh, we are getting somewhere, slowly but surely. A place no American should want to go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join