It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new way to thank our members who contribute consistent quality -- no ads!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Seany

And I have presented threads to the ATS public also Seany... I just don't have any NEW topics that are in need of being brought to the public's attention. But when I do, I will be out there presenting it... Until then I will continue to scour the board and add my perspective on threads already created...

Rgds

[edit on 14-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by mmiichael

We know already the bestselling authors aren't the best writers, and down the line with everything that is gauged by it's popularity.

Mike

According to - you? Again, this type of response is too subjective to be taken seriously. Just because YOU feel a certain way about something is what kind of justification that we all should?

Zero attempt on my part to impose my judgements on anyone.

Just trying to point out this isn't a level playing field - in a world where star, flags, points, have any weight.

The self-righteousness and indignation when questioning is brought up on how reflective the rating system is of actual thoughtfulness, dept of research, and quality might indicate something itself.

Anyway, I have some spare stars I'm not using. Anyone want some?

Mike

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Ugh, this again? ATT is at it again???

I said this before but, an initial bit of abuse was only to be expected when the "club" was first announced. And sure enough, a few members publicy went "Aww, I'm not in the new club", their friends went "Aww, that person really deserves this" and went and gave them some extra flags to help them get it.

A bit of abuse in the beginning was only to be expected, but THE SYSTEM WILL NORMALIZE ITSELF OVER TIME.

I still think the benefits here VASTLY outweigh the negatives. A wonderful new badge of honor that gives new members a goal to strive toward, and helps people feel great about their hard work and dedication to the site!

Why NOT introduce a new profile badge that MOTIVATES people to go do research and work hard and start great new threads?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Um ... where'd all the 250/250/250 things go?
Is everyone else still seeing them or did they disappear from
your computers as well??

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hi FF, the perk is still there but the tags were taken away as it seemed to irk some folk.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
glad you believe me... because it happened... and you have some that admitted it... even admitted that they had help...

So your saying that developing a fan club of people who like your work no matter the topic is abuse?

Silly Lemming

Me? I am waiting for the 10,000 Club

And I expect it to come with a Gold Card

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Me? I am waiting for the 10,000 Club

Oooo, that would be sweet!

We'd get hats and junk.

[edit on 14 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Lol, I just thought of something. You guys REALLY want to see this place go nuts and people whine? Make special badges for the Yellow Club, Orange Club, and whatever other colors there are hidden in the applause bar code. They'd get special perks. What? I dunno. And intentionally have no Green Club, because everyone starts there.

Starting Orange is one thing with several stellar posts- but maintaining that Orange is another ballgame once you are talking 2,000 posts or even less. I dunno how many people have done that, other than The Vagabond maybe- might be a few others.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
In case I have sounded ingracious, I do appreciate the effort and expense ATS has put in to give us all an unbelievable forum at no cost.

But it is a business, and they have to encourage the regular contributors who provide the bulk of the 'meat' on the 'bones' they have assembled. The Mods are the 'immune system.'

Myself, I don't like to see arbitrary class systems introduced into something public. And I do see many people motivated the desire to move up the totem pole than contribute meaningful material.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, I still believe most thinking people can differentiate good from bad, appreciate quality as opposed to just quantity.

Every system no matter how well-intentioned, has inherent weaknesses.
Overcoming them is always a task.

ATS does it's best as an open forum. For that I'm thankful.

Mike

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I'm very curious as to why you think that it makes it easy to see who has paid their dues when you state that you are guilty of giving flags to those that wanted to be in 'the club'?

Giving a fellow member/friend 10 flags to help them achieve this did not violate the T&C. Im sure if you had friends here willing to help you achieve this it never would have been a issue for you.

How can you believe that this symbol was worthy when you admit that you've given flags out to those that are not deserving of the attention it gives?

In my opinion they were very much worthy of receiving these flags as they are long time posters and contribute to the quality of this site. You see they didn't spend there time here criticizing management for a excellent idea that most members liked and approved of.

***ADDED*** Do you really think that symbol was enough to "motivate' newcomers to spend 'more' time on ATS... just to get rid of the ads?

Yes I do, look how it has motivated you to post!!!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This discussion could go around and around in circles for quite a while, so, why not just do a member poll on it? If many members liked the profile badge and want it, I see no reason not to implement it - and think it's an excellent idea.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

glad you believe me... because it happened... and you have some that admitted it... even admitted that they had help...

So your saying that developing a fan club of people who like your work no matter the topic is abuse?

Silly Lemming

No one can say it like you, Z.

I am so glad to see you posting again. Your presence is sorely missed, one of the best minds on the web, IMO!

Silly Lemmings!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmericanI dunno how many people have done that, other than The Vagabond maybe- might be a few others.

Funny until you said that I hadn't noticed that the STATS button is gone. Last I looked a few months back it was something like 78 people with 5,000 plus and about 38 with 10,000 plus...

Way too much free time on their hands

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

"Too much" is subjectively relative to the infinite duality of the ...

You have a point.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I hadn't noticed that the STATS button is gone. Last I looked a few months back it was something like 78 people with 5,000 plus and about 38 with 10,000 plus...

I wondered about that. Found those numbers fascinating. The removal might mean a peak reached or some commercial consideration.

Hopefully there's a healthy shakeout happening. From what a vet here tells me, teenagers and college kids are flocking to ATS, starting outrageous threads, interfacing straight faced with concerned people, as a national sport.

Sometimes fun to watch, but reduces the credibility of the site. My girlfriend and a couple buddies look at things here, and roll their eyes when they see the home page.

I'd love to see this as a haven for serious thinkers and question askers worldwide. But when you feel like a persecuted minority for trying to dampen some lunatic ravings - your inclination is to move on.

I've seen some knowledgeable people just quit cold after cultural, subverted racial and anti-intellectual mob attacks on threads. I've come close. Some nasty people around here good at keeping just under the wire.

I'm pretty good at estimating people's age. I feel like I'm reading posts written by 15 year olds a lot of the time. And that I'm being asked to reconcile their linked Youtube with information in those old things called books.

And hey, they rack up loads of stars and flags with their threads about their aunt sleeping with aliens.

Good news, some pretty interesting people onboard who regularly fill me in on many things I will never have time to investigate.

Knowledge is power.

Mike

[edit on 15-5-2009 by mmiichael]

[edit on 15-5-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Funny until you said that I hadn't noticed that the STATS button is gone.

You can still click "statitics" at the bottom of the page to find those numbers you are looking for.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ummm, it's still there Zorgon.... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Springer...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

Ummm, it's still there Zorgon.... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Springer...

Thanks.

Glad it's still there.

Spotted a typo/miscalculation that's been in for a while.

New member accounts: Past 7 days: 3,051

New member accounts: Past 30 days: 2,480

Mike

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Woohooo!!

The medals look great!

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join