It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new way to thank our members who contribute consistent quality -- no ads!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I really do not care about the ads, honestly I never noticed them. I just like the recognition that it gives to the more contributing members.(Again with the exception of a few like Armap)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
They should change it from
250/250/250

to

250³

It would look better.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by 0nce 0nce]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Some people do tend to notice the ads, especially when it may be one that is questionable in nature... like the Mirror movie banner that was mentioned here a few times... One woman mentioned that she didn't like the possibility that her young children may be able to view this gory scene... This is why I don't fault anyone for going out and doing what InterestedAlways has done... She is just the only one that is brave enough to admit it. She did no wrong because this is what they've done... left the door open to misrepresenting the value of threads for something that is even more important... getting rid of unneeded ads that could affect those around you that you love.

Rgds

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
No, now that I think of it, this isn't such a good idea at all.

While I've got about 3,500 posts and stars... I have only 20 flags.

I didn't flood ATS with all the politically and religiously angering garbage I could find.

This flag thing is a huge mistake.

If everyone starts aiming for lots of flags, expect to see ATS flooded with angry topics, flooding ATS with nothing but hatred and vile member on member attack topics.

Remember, flags don't mean it was a quality post. It just means whoever read it decided others should aswell... even if the only people who would want to would be the KKK themselves.

... sorry... but I respectfully disagree.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

So what do you suggest they do? Stop ads for everyone or no one?

What would happen to their revenue generated from these ads if they did? Maybe then we would have a corporate ATS that so many fear. Or maybe we wouldn't have one at all.

Then if they take it away from the "250" members what would that say? Well thanks but we really don't care how much you contribute.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

thank you for providing another blatant example of what this is going to do. There will be those that only start threads to collect the points and that means anger and fury...

Love your signature block... Oh the child like mind...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

What would I expect them do? Make it right...

The ads are needed to bring in the revenue... so make it so a person that has a least 2yrs of posting with a certain amount of posts and a certain amount of replies as well as applause... this would make you certain that this person has contributed to ATS in a positive way... Especially the number of replies the person has received, this is an indicator of what that person has obviously contributed. You don't find people just responding because they think the person is trying to collect points... the responses are usually there because the person was able to carry a debate on and have an intelligent conversation with others, even if they were on the other side of the fence.

If you check out IAs profile you would see that she has been around for 3yrs+ and has contributed over 3700 posts, with over 1600 replies, also attaining 19 applauses from her fellow members. This does not indicate someone that is unworthy of being recognized...

This will all fade into the backdrop soon and members won't think about it... but there will be this little annoying question in the back of ones mind when they go to a thread and see the numbers of Stars and Flags. What do the Stars and Flags really mean? Nothing... they mean nothing because they give them out like candy... just so we can have some peace of mind for the little ones and to have our visit to ATS one that doesn't involve stupid Ads that keep popping up to annoy the common ATS folk.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I guess the next best idea would be to have a button in the ATS Store that allows you to buy an "ad free" membership with your ATS Points. Maybe something like R.A.T.S. membership.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0nce 0nce
reply to post by johnsky

I guess the next best idea would be to have a button in the ATS Store that allows you to buy an "ad free" membership with your ATS Points. Maybe something like R.A.T.S. membership.

That idea is absolutely brilliant.

It could work alongside the new 250/250/250 system (since it's probably too late to stop that now) for those who couldn't meet the requirements.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
reply to post by jkrog08

The ads are needed to bring in the revenue... so make it so a person that has a least 2yrs of posting with a certain amount of posts and a certain amount of replies as well as applause... this would make you certain that this person has contributed to ATS in a positive way...

I'd like to think that I am a positive and contributing member of ATS but under that standard because I haven't been here that long I wouldn't qualify.

Also consider that a LOT of amazing members including half the staff don't qualify as we speak under this new system and surely they are staff because of their outstanding contributions. So not being part of the 250 in no way means that you're not a quality member.

It's not really the point imho, I don't believe this is intended as a segregative measure. It is simply to reward those who contribute in general terms and not to designate an upper echelon of membership.

I believe you are reading too much into this.

At the end of the day one has to have faith that ATS management knows what's best for their website, surely you don't believe that they are trying to encourage dribble?

You may disagree with their decision, and you have the right to say so, but you surely have made your point by now. And trust me, this is coming from a member who has often disagreed with them.

Also, keep in mind that ATS is growing an evolving every day, and ATS management does their best to adapt and apply their vision for the future. That means that we are not privy to their conversations, so when sometimes a single measure like this may seem curious, it may be part of a greater plan that we are not aware of.

Sometimes things work sometimes they don't, but at some point one has to believe that they are doing their best to improve the site.

[edit on 11 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The ads are needed to bring in the revenue... so make it so a person that has a least 2yrs of posting with a certain amount of posts and a certain amount of replies as well as applause...

I too wouldn't qualify for that because I haven't been a member for over 2 years, but yet I think I contribute enough to be recognized with the "250".

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

I'd like to think that I am a positive and contributing member of ATS but under that standard because I haven't been here that long I wouldn't qualify.

You really are S-Dog, I am waiting to see when you become a mod, I think you would be a good one!

You seem to project a nice medium in the member/mod flow!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well I dunno what is going on, but I think they took the tag away, I am sure we all will know what is going on soon.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

It seemed as though the 250... link in mini-profiles was turning into a status symbol of sorts, and that was never the intent.

The intent was to give a kind of "nod from the owners" to the small percentage of members that produce attention-getting threads and posts.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by jkrog08

It seemed as though the 250... link in mini-profiles was turning into a status symbol of sorts, and that was never the intent.

The intent was to give a kind of "nod from the owners" to the small percentage of members that produce attention-getting threads and posts.

And I for one am sorry that it turned into such a battle.

It must be frustrating for you.

Seriously, damned if you do, damned if ya don't~~~

Well, the nature of the beast.................We are all waiting for the "anti" and don't see ourselves...........

We can never seem to know fair.........Maybe it can't COEXIST~~~

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you Bill for your quick response on this... I know that it will only show your desired clientele that ATS listens to its members and really does care....

Rgds

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

So are you just going to leave it alone now? How was it becoming a status symbol? Will we get the ads back?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Many thanks.

[Hate distraction.]

[edit on 11-5-2009 by soficrow]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I don't really follow what your beef is here . While it is true that the Star & Flag and Stars systems reflect more the nature of a topic rather then the quality . However this is hardly an obstacle that is impossible to overcome . Most of the threads I post don't make it past page one . So I am proof that providing a member obeys the T&C they will reach the 250/250/250 milestone at some stage .

At the end of the day I accept that Star & Flag and Stars systems doesn't necessary reflect the quality of a post or thread because I have the opportunity to rectify that fact .

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Oh come on now you must know that regardless of what you will do you never keep everyone happy . Look when I first joined ATS I was envious(SP?) of those who had lots of points but I didn't take it as a status symbol . The same goes for members who broke the applause bar .

I was happy to have the 250/250/250 as something to show for my time on ATS . Come on SkepticOverlord show some backbone here its not like site contend will be effected .

[edit on 11-5-2009 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join