It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new way to thank our members who contribute consistent quality -- no ads!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

So, you can't see that some have gone out and asked other ATS members to just go out and flag and star their threads?

If you check the threads that I provided, with SOs own opening statement as to what the primary reasoning for instituting the stars, you can see that this 'game' that you've created has led to many people obtaining the needed numbers within a handful of hours. You should be able to tell us how many exactly have attained this 250 club status.... And can you also tell us how many of them attained most of their numbers within the first day? Does this sound like your promoting Quality?

Reward your serious and dedicated members but don't do it at the detriment of something that is suppose to be suggesting what we can trust as content.
('
')

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

What this 250 club does is make those that spend more time than the average person could on ATS quickly go and accumulate the points. Thereby contributing little in the degree of quality content or their honest opinion of a thread's or post's worth.

For those that don't spend that much time on, it will make them spend more time on and contribute more... 250 more.... non-meaning stars and flags to threads that have little to do with the 'quality' that ATS appears to be striving for here.

There in lays the reason for this “250 club”, the members that spend more time on ATS generally contribute more, that is just cause and effect. Now there are a few cases, like Armap, where they spend a lot of time and contribute greatly but aren’t “threaders”. I agree they should be acknowledged, and I believe they already are. Have you or anyone else that is complaining not noticed that big tag in Armaps avatar that says “Forum Subject Matter Expert”? That is well deserved and that is his acknowledgement. Like another member said, “This isn’t a Nobel Peace Prize here”, come on. Applauses are some of the best ways staff can thank members for great work, and ONLY STAFF OR FSME’s (there aren’t many) can give them out, they account for 500 points.

Personally, I believe that ATS should immediately drop this idea and make it that ATS members over two years duration with a certain amount of posts, maybe 800 or 1500 to show that the person is an active participant, has the ability to turn off the ads within his profile.

Oh really? You still wouldn’t be in “the club”, and that is not fair for members like me and others who contribute a lot but have’t been here for two years. What does length of membership have to do with anything? It is the stats, which reflect respect, that count. Yes the system is abused, but not to the extent you think, plus applauses make up for that. And you can judge for yourself who and who isn’t worthy, take a look at their threads.

Make it where it is 1000 posts, 1000 flags, 1000 stars, and 30 applauses? Go ahead, but that defeats the purpose of a “more easily reachable incentive”. That would contradict what you are truly arguing about (and the others who are complaining about this), and that is obviously because you feel left out. Maybe I am wrong but I doubt it.

Why can’t we trust the members to be mature and respectful enough to the site and other members to not abuse these “respect privileges”?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just thought I'd add a comment that seems appropriate for this situation.

I was told once by an award winning journalist:

You know you have really hit the mark when the extremists on both sides hate you.

To me, this plan has obviously hit the mark because we have members arguing against it for different reasons.

You can't please everyone, but in this case, I think the majority are happy.

Heh... and I've added a little 250 badge to my profile background
I dunno if I'm allowed to, but it is there until I'm told otherwise
If I get no backlash from it I can do it for other people too.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I know that this lessens the very Flag and Star system they promoted as their symbol of quality. I for one will not just close down my ability to speak against it because I may be subjected to a back-lashing from those that will support anything that ATS does for the sheer purpose of preventing oneself from being possibly looked at in a different light.

Is that what you think? That me and others who aren't complaining "just do whatever pleases the staff"?????

Let me tell you something, that is a HUGE ignorance on your part to make a comment for the hundred thousand other members.

I know I will be kinda pissed if because all this bickering they stop the "250 club"......WHY? Because I am glad they are recognizing the members who take time out of their day to research and create well organized and researched threads. When I take a day or two, or 5-8 hours straight making a thread (just to get the information out) I am glad it is noticed by the staff and other members.

Do you realize even right now (and I KNOW I am not the only one) I continue with research that I will share with ATS, this is not something that I just "google" and post, and neither do A LOT of 'contributing' members. I wonder how many members threads have you read?

I am done....This is getting annoying and pathetic, I am sorry if I sound rude but I just don't understand some people.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I think your missing the who point here. The idea is not to take away the rewards that can be offered to members... it is to make the rewards less conflicting with the other aspects of ATS...

I guess it would be like if you found out that somebody got 30 applauses and that all the person provided was one line responses. Would you not question something like that? Well, that's what I'm doing... I'm questioning how you can have people attain most of the required numbers needed to show 250 within the first day of its announcement and then say

.... This is a THANK YOU to those members who have RECEIVED 250/250/250 from their peers for presenting great content.

How many of these peers went out following this announcement and starred and flagged threads that they had little knowledge of what was in them, thereby contributing negatively to something that is suppose to be so positive.

Too bad they didn't have the stars working on these threads... I might be able to see how many agree with me...

rgds

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Guys please, let's not let this get personal.

Some folks love this, others not so much and that's fine too.

There's no need to accuse each other and especially the staff of having anything but what's best for ATS in mind.

Come on now.

[edit on 11 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I like the ads.....how else am I going to get whiter teeth?

AND make $10,000 a month working from home?

(Hint: It really works!)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

AND make $10,000 a month working from home?

(Hint: It really works!)

Really now........u2u to explain you will.(Yoda,lol).......lol

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

I really like this site... its quite interesting that a person like myself can be thought of as an "Extremist" because I contribute about six posts to a thread that in my opinion seems ridiculous. I provide substantiation as to why and how the majority of the members probably feel, given that the ATS hierarchy have set the minds rule already.... Stars indicate valuable or quality content.

Extremist? Why not just label me as a terrorist... My last short one about trying to prove a point was removed... yet this one above me seems to be ok...

Oh well..

rgds

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I never called you an extremist.

My point was that you can't please everybody. The quote I mentioned was about a piece of writing. If it makes people angry on both sides of the spectrum, then it is usually on the mark.

As far as ATS goes, it relates in a way. Whenever something new is brought in usually a group of people oppose it for an obvious reason. There is always going to be someone put out of joint by a change in policy.

In this case though, it seems there are 2 different types of opposition. One that it is 'making the elite more elite' and distancing the old members from the new.

The other, as in your case, is that (did I get this right?) the new system is being abused by a clique or cliques to reach the milestone quicker than other people who do it genuinely, and that the proposed result of new content won't happen to the extent planned because of this abuse.

That is why I mentioned the quote. Because the move is being opposed by 2 differing arguments.

I wasn't having a go at you.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
Heh... and I've added a little 250 badge to my profile background

"Badges?
We don't need no stinking badges!"

But if we do, I think I will start using this one.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Franky, I'm a badge person myself. I need to have my little red ribbon to feel secure in myself that I'm a worthwhile member!!! /sarcasm.

Armap, you can have the very exclusive:

The I don't need or want a badge badge, now with extra badginess.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I didn't think you were having a go at me... I just recognized it as something that others have stated within this and other threads... which is the same sentiment that you made... that someone that continues to 'question' the policy of ATS is labeled as an extremist or someone who is attempting to undermine the authority of the ATS staff...

I am only stating the obvious. You have threads that have happened merely for the purpose of getting flags and stars... that does not promote the desired quality they talk about.

You have posts that are being Starred because their peers were emailed and asked to get me off the ads.... thereby lowering the value of the achieved star on that post....

Yes, we are suppose to be adults but this is obviously being abused now and will be in the future....

Someone said that this will not mean anything after the person reaches the goal of 250 for each category... but by then it will have had an effect of what is really HOT or on TOP of the ATS board, as well as having some that don't deserve that recognition of providing quality posts being recognized as that, quality posters or contributors.

this degrades the existing system of Flags and Stars and makes it null and void...

Rgds

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

That is a good idea, if I was a graphics artist I would made a "no badges" badge.

PS: I wonder how many people will remember this one month from now.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
You have threads that have happened merely for the purpose of getting flags and stars... that does not promote the desired quality they talk about.

You have posts that are being Starred because their peers were emailed and asked to get me off the ads.... thereby lowering the value of the achieved star on that post....

No and No.

I make threads to inform, entertain and share. If that thread gets flags or stars it is not the intention, but a by-product of the content.

I reached this 'milestone' of 250/250/250 a long time ago and have never asked another member to star or flag a thread... I've never even asked someone to read one of my threads.

So please don't make accusations.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I can't take this anymore!

I did it!!!

I flagged my own threads! I could have been doing it all along but didn't, so when I saw a benefit to doing so I seized the opportunity.

I already had 1300 stars, I have almost 4000 posts, but I did shamelessly flag my own threads and I also jokingly requested members to "trade flagging"

OK, what ever that says to my fellow members about me...........Well so be it.

I love ATS, I complain here more often than I should and praise the site more often than I should. I am just a human being who saw a shot and took it.

I am happy to not be seeing the ads and even though I flagged my own threads I think I deserve to not see the adds because I do contribute quality to the board and have been doing so for three years.

By the same token I am not an "elite" by any means. I have been called on things here that I have done wrong and I surely will continue to if I break the T&C again.

Ok..............

I will sleep better tonight having confessed.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I'm not talking in direct terms to you Fooffstarr...

I'm talking in general terms... the general membership... When I speak of you, I don't mean you personally... this is where people misinterpret things...

These comments are not against anyone member in particular... this is not a personal attack... it is only stating how I see this new club to have a negative effect on the quality of ATS threads.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Ok. Understood.

I don't agree with you, but I can see where you are coming from.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

And as I stated earlier, you will have some that may do this and this is not wrong... it is now a possibility for many to do this and it only says that they have a strong desire to get rid of those annoying ads...

You are not at fault InterestedAlways... You have obviously shown that you are a great contributor to the threads you participate in. This is one of the stumbling blocks that need to be addressed. You shouldn't have to have gone out and done something like this to attain the ability to turn off the ads...

This just goes to show that the system can be abused and will be. I'd love to have the ability to turn these ads off and would have done the same thing you did but I don't spend that much time on ATS anymore.

I'm beginning to see why now...

Rgds
Love to You

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Ah the old 5 star system. Yes it was "something" to say the least. Because back then your average star rating was part of your profile. Quality posters typically had a 3.7-4.5 average. But it was soon discovered that 1 staring a post would bring a person's average down if there were a concerted effort to go back a "1 star bandit" multiple old posts of those who held opinions that were not liked. There was high activity in the 9/11 and religion forums of "1 star bandits".

Eventually the system became the even weighted star system of today. So why stars in the first place? More or less it seemed to be a replacement to the old WATS (Way Above Top Secret) vote. How that worked was that each member had three votes per month for what they considered an absolutely outstanding post. Made no difference if it was the OP or a reply. In essence it was a member's version of giving Applause.

The downside was that WATS votes were hoarded or the month would expire before votes were cast. In the end, monthly (and yearly WATS winners) had less than stellar threads over time and there was (in my personal feeling) more weight to a thread starter than to that of a reply.

So what does this have to do with the flag system? Flags are still the exclusive domain of the OP. Yet even I will flag a thread for the whole content of the thread as just opposed to the opening post. And in some regard, when I place a flag it is still akin to a WATS vote. Although I apply more liberally than when it first appeared.

A star to me, is still a member to member applause. And if a post is exceptional in my opinion, I have been known to U2U a kindly Mod and recommend an official Applause and will often state why. I do know that quite a few Applause have been given in this manner. Especially when the Mod replies to me that they agreed that it was a well thought out and expressed idea posted.

As for looking at the popularity aspect of the shinny new 250/250/250 club, I do try to not covet what I do not have. I find that it eases stress and anxiety to be comfortable with myself before asking strangers to be comfortable with me. Besides, those that overtly try to be a part of the "250 Club" by having friends put them them there with excessive flagging, starring and inane posting to up their counts will can no more satisfaction than those that earn it legitimately. really the only exception between the two is that the overt joiner is technically in violation of the T&C purposefully trying to circumvent the displayed ads.

So, for me, the question isn't 250 or not 250 but rather how will I continue to post my thoughts in a manner that I can be happy with how it is interpreted and viewed by all. When I feel it is ready to be seen is when I hit the button. Of course I do edit from time to time.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join