It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone lives in the woods?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Or country??

There is NOTHING exciting about cities at night, it is all very retro, not that cities at night are bad but nothing exciting happens.

Country side on the other hand is where its at. Soo many mysterious things.

If you know any stories post em here.

I will start the ball rolling:

Im going to post this only because it was so damn weird and everyone in here seems to be talking about odd things. The other night I was sitting here clacking keys as usual, when I heard a bark outside. One short Bark. It sounded unusal like it came from a dog that was maybe inside a long culvert or something. I didnt think much of it. However there are exactly zero culverts near my house, except the well culvert. I assumed a dog may have fallen in my well. Well I decided to investigate, but being a little unnerved because the bark was so odd sounding, I let my old pitdog out to take a look first. he was acting very weird, which i attributed to the fact he would have heard this weird barking. Anyway I opened the back door and let the dog go. He ran around in his usual 'Who's there" way looking up and down. I was watching out of the doorway. Thats when it happened. The bark came again. Except this time it was like someone was standing 2 feet in front of my face. Whats weirder is that the bark sound was very metallic and literally moved my hair it was so loud. My dog freaked, and came running inside. I stood there for maybe 30 seconds with a big flash light scanning around... then again.. "Bark!" Right in my face. Metallicy sounding almost like it was synthesised. Made my hair stand straight up. im looking all around and see absolutly nothing. Yet the bark is loud as hell and my dog is cowering behind me, which is extremely out of character for him. The sound of that bark has been haunting me for the past week. It was a sound which has never before fallen on my ears and did not sound to me like anything of this earth. I saw absolutely nothing. It spooked me enough I quickly closed the door. My dog would not go outside which is very unusual. Hes very aggressive and chases bears outta here regularly. I have no idea what barked at me, however I hope I never hear it again.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Freeman]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
An example of my own:

Me and my dad built a wooden house in the country, miles away from civilisation.

One night it was about 9pm, still light, we got into our house and were about to go to sleep when we hear loud and clear, someone or something was making walking sound right outside our door! In that part of the woods there were no ppl around for miles!!

Anyway, my dad pulled out his magnum and went outside to have a look. Nothing was there to be seen, yet there was this "electric" weird vibe

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Anyway, my dad not only frequented country he grew up in a small village in the midle of nowhere

And he and his buddies used to watch the woods when they were young.

And they seen ALL kinds of weird beings there.
Mostly stories of flesh eating beings!
There was this story of a 10 ft tall nasty woman who lived in the woods and who used to steal babies in the area

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well we are moving in 3 days out to the country.

Right now we live in a suburb outside Memphis, TN. I leave my backdoor open when the weather is nice so my dog can go in and out when he pleases.

About 2 weeks ago I was walking by the window and saw the dog fly by the window. I mean he was moving fast for a bulldog. This was out of the norm for him so I walked through the house to the backdoor and FREAKED OUT. There in the fenced backyard was a red fox and he and our dog were playing. They ran up and down the yard chasing eachother and tumbling around. When the fox noticed me it took off underneath the fence.

I also have a large black bird that will fly inside the house and sit on the rug looking out the backdoor.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeman

Your father was packing a "Magnum" for a sleep out in a wooden cabin you two made. I'm sorry but I do not believe you one bit. Living in a city myself, I can atest to the fact that there indeed does not appear to be as much "supernatural" activity as in unpopulated areas.
Places with natural running water beneath them have on many occasions, turned out to have supernatural activity surrounding them. Could there be a connection? I think so.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WonkoTheSane
reply to post by Freeman

Your father was packing a "Magnum" for a sleep out in a wooden cabin you two made. I'm sorry but I do not believe you one bit.

LOL Why is that so hard to believe? My dad won't go anywhere without his 357. Takes it on camping trips and any time he leaves the house. Always has and always will.

We live on 3 acres of land surrounded by trees. We occasionally hear noises, etc but nothing to that would make us think it was paranormal. Considering we live in a heavy deer populated area it doesn't suprise me.
We often see them in the woods in our backyard.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Freeman

Your father was packing a "Magnum" for a sleep out in a wooden cabin you two made. I'm sorry but I do not believe you one bit.

You must be a city person.

I live in Alaska, and i can tell you right now, if you live in the real wilderness you don't go anywhere with out a high powered gun. At any given time where i live there is a brown bear within a square mile of my location.

People get attacked by bears all the time, usually tourist, who fear the only thing that will protect them, so they don't bring it, and a time comes when they need it, so they end up making the news paper as the latest victim

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeman

ahhha your scaring me

I hope to move into a cabin in the woods within 3 months if everything goes as planned. I already know now that the sounds I will hear at night will spook me.
My sis lives in the country and she hears lots of unexplainable things.
Last year she kept hearing a buzzing sound at night. Every time she turned on her light it dissapeard, when she put the light out the buzzing sound came again. This went on for about a week. On the third day she heard footsteps on her porch, really weird footsteps, very fast as if they where from a small child running up and down the porch.
She was to scared to go out and see, instead she sat down under the window with a knife waiting for it to go away.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeman

Freeman, I had something very similar happen to me here in upstate NY. We purchased property in a thick wooded area butted up against a 10K game preserve called Happy Valley that’s located 30 minutes north of Syracuse. It was Nov 2004 and we moved into our new house the night of the huge solar flares and the auroras that were seen as far south as Georgia. I have an Elkhound and was taking him out in the back yard prior to turning in for the night. It was very dark and was easy to see the auroras and I noticed Max seemed spooked but I assumed it was the unusual light in the sky. All of the sudden an extremely loud Ruck..RUCK...Ruck..RUCK... blasted through the woods. It was not a dog and Max went to the ground with his tail between his legs and snaked back to the house. He’s never been scared of anything and often takes off after deer in the woods at night. I couldn’t see anything and it was dead quite no other noise, and then again the same booming bark echoing through the woods. I had enough and took off to the house and told my wife. We turned on the back yard flood light but saw nothing. I haven't heard anything like it before or since. We’ve made jokes about Bigfoot and Aliens but none the less something was letting me know they didn't care for new neighbors...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I grew up as a kid in a very rural area...no other buildings for about a mile in any direction... it was paradise on earth. Forests and rocks and hills and trickling streams...a million ways to keep a young boy occupied day and night. When I got tired of playing in the woods there were always books to read.

I feel sorrow for those who have grown up without that kind of experience...the memories it has given me are among my most precious treasures.

Now I live in the middle of one of the world's largest cities, with the choking dust and the fumes and the crowds and all that...I long for the woods of my youth but time and circumstance have made it such that it will be unlikely I'll see them any time soon...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Freeman

Your father was packing a "Magnum" for a sleep out in a wooden cabin you two made. I'm sorry but I do not believe you one bit. Living in a city myself, I can atest to the fact that there indeed does not appear to be as much "supernatural" activity as in unpopulated areas.
Places with natural running water beneath them have on many occasions, turned out to have supernatural activity surrounding them. Could there be a connection? I think so.

What are you talking about? You don't believe that his Dad would have his Magnum with him simply because he was out in a wooden cabin? Uhh... wouldn't that be a place where someone is MORE LIKELY to have a gun, instead of not having a gun?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeman

There was this story of a 10 ft tall nasty woman who lived in the woods and who used to steal babies in the area

Are you talking about tall betsy??

second line

[edit on 10-5-2009 by stringcheese]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Freeman

you obviously have never met anyone from tennessee LOL

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Thanx for replies...
there is nothing whatsoever unusual about my dad having a powerful gun in the village surrounded by deep forest

Another vital thing you need to do is bring a powerful flash light with ya when u go into country / camping

Hey wasnt there a "wow thats weird" section on ATS a while back??

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
reply to post by Freeman

ahhha your scaring me

I hope to move into a cabin in the woods within 3 months if everything goes as planned. I already know now that the sounds I will hear at night will spook me.
My sis lives in the country and she hears lots of unexplainable things.
Last year she kept hearing a buzzing sound at night. Every time she turned on her light it dissapeard, when she put the light out the buzzing sound came again. This went on for about a week. On the third day she heard footsteps on her porch, really weird footsteps, very fast as if they where from a small child running up and down the porch.
She was to scared to go out and see, instead she sat down under the window with a knife waiting for it to go away.

Your going to love it! The tranquility of living out where you don't have neighbors is awesome. The first thing you'll notice is the ringing in your ears from the lack of sound. You'll probably have a hard time sleeping at night for a while but you'll get used to it and never have slept better.

Also get use to the mice and squirrels nawing on the wood in your cabin, can get quite annoying. Your little scampering of feet on the porch was probably a 'coon'. They can move quite fast and take very small steps. Wait till you hear them on your roof! Crows on your roof are pretty erie sounding too.

You'll never get used to the sounds of nature, but you'll have alot of entertainment trying to figure them out. Mountain lions, bobcats,cyotes and just plain vermin not to mention all the creepy crawlies. It's great!

If you want to really freak yourself out, go outside at night with one of those flashlights that have the nightvision mode (red light) on them and shine that around. You'll see all the glowing eyes of the critters that are watching you and you didn't even know. Shine it on the ground and look at the little red sparklies- spider eyes glow!

I'm damn-near 49 yrs old and have lived coast to coast. For the past 18 yrs I've lived down here in south/central New Mexico wher you pretty much have to drive 60 miles if you need any thing worthwhile(we do have a Walmart though). I have no desire ever to live in a city again nor do I even like visiting one.

Good luck and stay calm. It takes a while to get used to the 'country' but once you do you'll have a 'piece of mind' that can't be discribed.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
^^ Indeed i was jusst thinking about starting a thread about life in the country...

I like some cities, dont get me wrong, London, Amsterdam... New York.... all have a fantastic vibe, i dont mind living in thos places althought they are really expensive... even in those 3 cities i wouldnt wannt to spend more that 6 month max... as for other less beutiful towns and cities i wouldnt want to spend there mora than a day.

I

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeman

the other night some raccoons were either fighting or mating, not sure but it woke us up and it sounded really strange

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

hehe thanks for that inspiring post

i'm convinced I'm gonna love ALL of nature, including the sounds... except the spiders... you can give me mice, snakes, bugs,I don't care what, but no spiders!!! lol

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Guess what, the country isn't as quiet and peaceful as it seems.

At night you see eyeballs flashing in the woods, and who knows what is behind them. There are screechings and squeaks.
There are tree frogs.
Trust me, it is like being in some noisy haunted woods.

During the day?

I live in about a 25 house subdivision in the middle of nowhere.

One beautiful blue sky sunny day I took my blanket out into the yard to do some meditation.
But I couldn't.

About three neighbors were cutting grass on tractors. Someone else was using a weedwacker. Someone was blasting music. And there were about three off roaders rampaging behind the house.

See, people move into the country becasue they are allowed to make noise, and they can use their large polluting noisy toys.

And we have three acre lots or more.(trick or treating is exhausting)

Then there is dealing with all the family dogs that get loose and charge you in your yard.

It takes a month to get your power fixed, since you are remote you are not considered a priority to the electric company.

If you run out of milk, you have to drive a half hour.

When you get hurt or have an accident, no one is around to hear you.

Rabid animals wandering around.

And everytime you drive anywhere, you have to concentrate on not hitting the herds of deer constantly crossing the road.

Lets not forget the constant bug battles. Trying to keep others from moving into your house.

Having to constantly remove poison ivy from around your home, carefully.

battles with ticks.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

reply to post by Freeman

Wow where the heck do you live at? I've had to deal with rabid coons, rabid skunks, coyotes, fox, a couple mountain lions, badgers can get really nasty too if they feel cornered.

We had a coyote come up to the house one time and started killing everything in sight so of course had to take him down.

280 acres of land harbors a lot of dangerous critters at times so a gun is a must have if you don't want to end up in the obituaries.

You always carry a gun with you if at all possible I'm not sure I know anyone who doesn't. Nearly everyone I know has concealed weapons permits just to make it more legal like lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join