It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FREE cell phones from your old pal Uncle Sam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
What The FFffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu?????

SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program
that provides a free cell phone and airtime each
month for income-eligible customers.

Hey, people who are still barely clinging to your jobs and managing to keep a roof over your heads in a terrifying economy: Now, you're paying for cell phones for people who can't afford to pay themselves.

If anyone in government is reading this I'm going to very clearly explain something to you. A cell phone is a LUXURY. Remember luxuries? Those things like SUV's and McMansions and vacations that we're supposed to cut back on in order to save our money? Would you ask all my neighbors to pay for me to fly to Tahiti and get drunk on the beach every day? Then why are you asking people to pay for other people's cell phones?????

It's not enough to ask us to pay for other people's housing, healthcare, food, and utilities (admittedly all necessities vs. luxuries) in addition to paying for our own? Now we have to pay for other people's cell phones? What's next on the list of welfare benefits? Cable Internet? Satellite Dish? An RV to save the economy of Elkhart, IN? I only have 2 words for you and they start with F and end with U. I only wish I could type them out on this thread.

Source - Safelink Wireless

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

It sounds like a scam. Tracfone is notorious in their charges, and one has to get a card to pay for the minutes, along with another charge to pay for the use of the phone.

I am on a fixed income, and I do know that 911 service is free. The ad does not state what type of calls are free. Also the person would have to pay for the phone. This is a buyer beware thing, and not a handout.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
It was probably devised so that people can get a phone to help them find a job. But however people will abuse this help like they do every other government handout.

What I would like to see in these programs is a felony clause. You commit a felony while under some government assistance program you loose those benefits permanently. Why should we the taxpayers fund criminals and help them commit more crimes?

Sometimes people fall through the cracks in society, sometimes things get tough for people. I think that some people deserve to be helped out for a time so that they can get back on their feet. However I don't think that it should be a permanent solution.

I see this entitlement mentality in Detroit every single day. Many many people in Detroit are under some sort of government assistance when they don't need to be. I even hear often people talking on the bus about how to get onto disability so that they never have to work again.

Some of these people then take under the table or criminal jobs in order to supplement their ill gotten income.

It's sickening to me to see people live off of Uncle Sucker like that. Especially when there is nothing wrong with them. What gets infuriating is when you see people on some sort of government assistance sell drugs or other criminal activity to line their own pockets.

[edit on 5/11/2009 by whatukno]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Actually, there is a felony cause. If anyone commits a felony while in public housing, they are evicted immediately. Also, they lose all their programs of assistance.

After getting out of jail, there are some programs to help them. If they abuse those programs, they get hauled back to jail as it is a parole violation. States differ on what they offer, and many do not offer any programs to ex-cons.

I have worked with bureaucratic red tape, and many of them do not care. They will get their paychecks come Friday and can feed themselves and their family. They also cannot be fired, and some have been working the same jobs since the Great Depression (or at least it seems that way).

new topics

top topics

join