It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Signs a Pact on a Pipeline for Gas From the Caspian Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
- You want to know why?

- ... there is NATO drill in Georgia
- ... Russia and NATO has crisis
- ... China and Russia is so united in SCO
- ... Russia is flexing muscles
- ... China is handing air defence missiles to Iran
- ... and ... and ... ???

You just read the headline. I knew that wednesday there was this pipeline question in table in EU summit - but news blackout has been almost 100%. It takse to sunday, before I just get this breaking news... And there was two players US and Russia - quess who get the deal?

PRAGUE — The European Union signed an energy agreement on Friday aimed at speeding up the construction of a long-delayed pipeline that would bring gas from the Caspian Sea to Europe and help offset the bloc’s dependence on Russian energy.

The agreement, signed by the leaders of Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey and Egypt at a summit meeting in Prague, centers on the 2,000-mile Nabucco pipeline, which would bring Central Asian gas to Europe without passing through Russian territory. The European Union hopes the pipeline will start pumping gas to Europe by 2014. The pressing need to find an alternative to Russian supply was underlined in January when a pricing dispute between Russia and Ukraine resulted in a shortage of gas supplies in several European countries.

www.nytimes.com...

- Yep! - USA is going to build pipleine to Russian doorsteps... and countries which are included in this pipeline - are the future frontiers of great geopolitical chess- Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Egypt.

- Kreml already reply to this deal by "sending" Chinese air missiles to Iran - and I think there is soon more to come... SCO has the next move.

"ITS ALL ABOUT THE OIL", again...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Something from todays Reuters news... Nailing also my thoughts.

NATO war games hinder U.S.-Russia ties, Putin says

...When asked about Washington's efforts to reset relations with Moscow, Putin said: "As to the NATO military exercises in Georgia, this is of course a signal in the other direction.

... U.S. President Barack Obama and his Russian counterpart, Dmitry Medvedev, have said they want to rebuild ties, but Georgia -- a transit route for Caspian oil and gas to Europe -- remains a sticking point.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN - You want to know why?

There's also the consideration that Afghanistan is a snakepit and you can't figure on running the pipeline through there and on to the Arabian Sea (as planned). So you get the added bonus of NATO pulling out, because there's no longer a need to subjugate the country. Besides...what happens if Pakistan goes nuclear on the Taliban? Lot's of options on the table...none of them pretty.

Yup...best be sending the energy straight west.

join