It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IQ tests were originally invented by eugenicists to weed out people deemed stupid by others.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

The most important criterion in diagnosing a child as learning disabled is the IQ test. The aim of an IQ test is to measure the intelligence of a child, which supposedly is an indication of the child's potential. But where does the test come from and does it really measure potential?

Intelligence testing began in earnest in France, when in 1904 psychologist Alfred Binet was commissioned by the French government to find a method to differentiate between children who were intellectually normal and those who were inferior. The purpose was to put the latter into special schools where they would receive more individual attention. In this way the disruption they caused in the education of intellectually normal children could be avoided.1

This led to the development of the Binet Scale, also known as the Simon-Binet Scale in recognition of Theophile Simon's assistance in its development. It constituted a revolutionary approach to the assessment of individual mental ability. However, Binet himself cautioned against misuse of the scale or misunderstanding of its implications. According to Binet, the scale was designed with a single purpose in mind; it was to serve as a guide to identify children in the schools who required special education. Its intention was not to be used as “a general device for ranking all pupils according to mental worth.” Binet also noted that “the scale, properly speaking, does not permit the measure of intelligence, because intellectual qualities are not superposable, and therefore cannot be measured as linear surfaces are measured.”2 Since, according to Binet, intelligence could not be described as a single score, the use of the Intelligence Quotient (IQ) as a definite statement of a child's intellectual capability would be a serious mistake. In addition, Binet feared that IQ measurement would be used to condemn a child to a permanent “condition” of stupidity, thereby negatively affecting his or her education and livelihood:

Some recent thinkers…[have affirmed] that an individual's intelligence is a fixed quantity, a quantity that cannot be increased. We must protest and react against this brutal pessimism; we must try to demonstrate that it is founded on nothing.3

Binet's scale had a profound impact on educational development in the United States — and elsewhere. However, the American educators and psychologists who championed and utilized the scale and its revisions failed to heed Binet's caveats concerning its limitations. Soon intelligence testing assumed an importance and respectability out of proportion to its actual value.

www.audiblox2000.com...

I'm not surprised that this doesn't get a lot more controversy here among the conspiracy savvy people at ATS. I've been reading about eugenics. I just think that it's funny something which had a Nazi root could still be in practice today. Eugenics has been proven wrong. But many of its practices still go on today.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
IQ tests were designed to predict school success. nothing more. they were geard to determine whether a given individual was apt to be successful with they way material is presented in school. there are man other ways to learn. they are not a measure of innate intelligance. I believe such a thing is impossible. It's only possible to measure specific abilities and skills.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by earlywatcher

The eugenicists also made it to determine who and who didn't have learning disorders. It wasn't just about trying to determine how well someone would do on a test.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It's like TAKS TEKS IWOA TAS and SATS, the more smarters you is the more everyone around yous likes yous and wants yous to goto schools to learns mores.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

It only tests how good you are at seeing patterns. It doesn't test anything else. It's a flawed test.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Interesting, using this method they could weed out the smartest kids and put them in schools to guide/recruit them into service for the Elites

Good way to bolster up your own forces, by ensuring that only the best serve you

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

The major problem with this is you get the best minds, and then they see another way. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....how do you defend yourself with the most intelligent folks, who can actually think for themselves?

Okay. One time and one time only. This is really me and not my grandson.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by kyred]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Couldn't this test also be used to determine who is more obedient than others?

Just a thought.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I used to administer IQ tests that had to be done one on one. There are many segments that test different abilities. In some parts, speed and accuracy get a higher score. Following directions is the best way to avoid needless mistakes. Interpreting the results is fairly complicated and reveals a lot about how the subject approaches problems and finds solutions. It's been many years since I've done that work so I've forgotten the details. I do remember that very creative people are apt to score lower because they spend more time examining possibilities in the various tasks rather than seizing on that quick solution. I don't remember specifically that obedience came up but the same skills that make a person effective in school will make him effective on the test, and good students are probably more apt to follow the rules.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by star in a jar

The major problem with this is you get the best minds, and then they see another way. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....how do you defend yourself with the most intelligent folks, who can actually think for themselves?

Okay. One time and one time only. This is really me and not my grandson.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by kyred]

You make a good point and probably is the reality in most cases, but these children are exposed to an environment where they learn and make friends with groups of people who are like them or are involved with their tutelage, which increases the chance of them getting into or being guided into certain groups where they are nurtured until it is their time to nurture.

Most of them go to regular private schools. Nothing special in that, I know. Public education sucks. Fewer go to very special schools where they are spared no expenses, assigned the best individual tutoring available. Far fewer still go to schools so special you would need a high level of security to go to, hell maybe even the parents, if they are even alive, couldn't even see them. They're that special.

So the cycle goes on and on, as it always has. Nothing bad in that, except some of these groups are very, very bad or wicked.

I am referring to the upper class in this example. These people have had comfortable lives, their futures guaranteed because they are intelligent and/ or they have "X" capacity of money generation, like for example they come from a very wealthy family.

They are the winners in the lottery of life, of course.

They undoubtedly enjoy this lifestyle of comfort, security and privilege, and if that level of comfort and security and privilege is threatened by certain technological or social/political advancements they will act against it, they will make the threat go away or die, as they have done throughout history, ever since that time a long time ago when a person first took pleasure in the feeling of power and domination over the slave he just took.

Do I feel that students who go to certain private schools are the future 'Elites' who will only extend and tighten the yoke of slavery upon humanity because they feel superior to the common folk, themselves being raised in an environment of elitism?

Yes, I do.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The IQ test was always confined to a standard,it doesn't take into account artistic and musical geniuses,i read once about a patient under hypnosis being asked to draw a circle-square,he claimed to see it in his mind but couldn't express it,he like the rest of us had been brought up with such rigorous definitions of dimensions and rules,that it limited his mental capabilities when his mind obviously could go further,i'm pretty sure that if you failed the IQ test you could practice and prepare for it again and pass it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by earlywatcher
IQ tests were designed to predict school success. nothing more. they were geard to determine whether a given individual was apt to be successful with they way material is presented in school.

That's why IQ tests are mainly a test of verbal skills. Verbal skills have very little to do with intelligence.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So I was arguably retarded as a youngin, around 1st grade I was given an IQ test. I scored very high. Then was put in a special ed class. After causing trouble in the special ed class, the teacher noticed me helping other students and helping them get their work done. I was quoted saying. " This class is great we get all our work done so fast and then we get to play around." After that I was put in an advanced reading class. Later it took me 5 years to graduate high school.
I think if they're going to administer this IQ test and try to reap some sort of results that are applicable, they need to get their S together. Because in my case I was incapable of doing so.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zealott

I wonder what test you were given. You might have scored very high but were unable to put up with the standardization rampant in schools. You were probably capable of learning very quickly but there was no incentive to do so because you were still stuck with the everyday boredom. You have innate ability to teach but the healthy you wants to get something out of it, but school often doesn't provide for that. You're supposed to work hard, be satisfied with the status quo, not cause trouble. I think that school tries to train students to fit the norm. We all get through it with some good results and some damage. I don't see that changing any time soon. Hopefully as adults we can find a way to thrive. Not all of us do.

top topics

join