It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming Water Wars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this planet 75% water?

Hell, if worst comes to work, collect some rain.

A war over water...I just don't see it happening.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
What falls from the sky and rises from the ground? Water!
What is the strongest element "on" the earth? Water!
Why is the sky blue? Water!
Why does everything as we know it grow? Water!
What is the human body mainly comprised of? Water!
What is readily available to any person who digs a damn hole deep enough? WATER! Even in the DESERT...YES!!!! WATER!!!!!
When we can no longer drink the water. We will filter/purify it. Remember there are two things in the world you should never pay for SEX! And WATER!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machina 42
I had a vision, this planet's citizens will have a war over water on a planet compiled of 75% water, it will be quite ironic to our alien visitors at the time.

That's just too funny... Sadly though, your "vision" (.... :-P ...) will probably come true.

I live in California, and down here instead of figuring out a fesable method for using ocean water for our drinking water.... We spend billions of dollars on building these ridiculously long pipelines. Not to mention, a lot of these water sources are less than inadequate for future demand.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
]post by amazing[/url]

Sometimes, an above-ground prefabricated plastic cistern is much cheaper than the concrete ones..... depends upon your needs, including perhaps one's need for stealth.
Even if you have an asphalt roof, there are coatings that can be put over that to minimize the leeching of hydrocarbons into your water. .

cheers

Thanks! It's time to start looking at a nice filtration system as well. I live in a rainy climate so this has me thinking all kinds of nice thoughts!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by Albertarocks

Water rolls down hill in most places. Except in South America i think!!lol Your streams and rivers fill the Great Lakes, so it starts out yours then becomes ours! Didn't you folks get into a big water war with Quebec over the power dams they built a long time ago? I remember reading about some of the language in the legislation back then. It looks like old laws will come back to haunt us all in the end!

Zindo

I don't recall anything about the Quebec dams. But I know about a very interesting case that happened back in the 1950's or so. In southern Alberta and Northern Montana there are two rivers, the Milk River and the St. Mary's river. I'll have to read up on this story to refresh my memory but it goes something like this.

The American side didn't like the idea that the Milk river started in Montana, flowed into Alberta and then back into Montana. They decided to damn that river so Alberta couldn't share in it. So Canada said, "fine, if you want to be greedy dinks about it, we'll dam the St. Mary's River in Alberta and you won't get any of that water. Since the St. Mary's was considerably larger, the American side backed down and said something to the effect: "Sorry, 'bout that ma'am... there must have been some kind of mistake". And they dropped the whole idea of damming the Milk River. What the hell were they thinkin'? Did they think we'd just roll over for them like Mexico did when they diverted a river a mile away from the Mexican border? We never had in the past, and we never will in the future.

What it all boiled down to was that the American side decided to stop the natural flow of water into Canada because they didn't think Canada deserved any... I guess because they thought it was "American water". So Canada just pushed back and the greedy bastards backed off. I could tell you 100 stories about how the American side has pushed and prodded and nit-picked Canada half to death. And every god damned time, we get into a fight about it because Canada never has taken this crap sittin' down. Often we get hurt by the bullying... and we don't forget it easily.

Here's another example: When Cheney said "Either you're with us, or you're with the terrorists", immediately Canada made the decision. Cheney made it easy for us... we would not be backing up the US... not with that attitude. So Bush came up with some phony mad cow scare in Alberta, banned the import of Canadian beef for 3 years and pretty much destroyed our cattle industry. We didn't forget that one either.

It's like a big brother buggin' the little brother, but the little brother not being afraid to bloody the big brother's nose every chance he gets. Usually the little brother gets the short end, but at least he goes out swingin' every damned time. I've got a hundred of 'em but this isn't really the right thread to vent about neighborhood spats.

And speakin' about water rolling down hill, perhaps you can put a tap on that Red River, because it keeps flooding Winnipeg every spring. On second thought... don't bother. That would just cause another fight about another dam.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
instead of countries spending billions on pointless wars, why not concentrate on desalination plants so we can utilise salt water.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Cool video. Quite possible, really. Blue gold. That sounds nice. Ha ha. I'll probably get the book...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Not trying to promote an old thread but I though the information contained within was important to this conversation.

Atlas of hidden water may avert future conflict

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
A lot of not fully informed and some romantic notions about water here.

One should remember first and foremost that the lack of access to fresh water causes not only death through dehydration but also lack of hygiene and the spread of disease caused by that.

A lot of what's happening in the Middle East can be pointed to disputes over water. Syria attacked Israel with other Arab countries and lost the Golan Heights in the process. Israel needs it for agricultural irrigation.

Much of Africa in places like the Sudan are suffering lack of fresh water and this is a component of the genocidal war in Darfur, Chad, and elsewhere.

Canada's fresh water table has become increasingly polluted.

The Mediterranean is becoming a polluted mini-ocean.

The oceans themselves may not support life soon.

What is happening in Somalia, not reported, is that garbage and chemicals are being dumped off the coast as there is no government to stop it.

Some pandemic will come out of the lack of fresh water worldwide that will make the current swine flu scare look like a picnic.

Someone once said water is the oil of the 21st Century.

Mike

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
In Feb. 2004 the Pentagon reluctantly released a paper it had sat on because of White House pressure on the geopolitical impact of global warming over the next century and water wars, drought and migration were its major concerns.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The air is practically full of water, just condense it, filter/uv it and drink it. If anyone tries to take THAT right away from you, it's time to leave your country.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Water load of rubbish this thread is
I am looking out my window just now in Edinburgh and the rain is coming in sideways. I also constantly commute past loch lommond and loch ness so excuse me if I dont start to hoard my rainwater just yet. Ps there is hundreds of diffferent machines that can convert air to water even in the most humid of climates so I doubt the nukes will fly for H20.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
i]reply to post by On the level

Well, wonderful! You're really all set waterwise, aren't you? Assuming you have an adequate filtration system, that is.

I hope that much of the rest of the world, which is suffering from lack of potable water, will someday be able to enjoy a similar wealth of this vital resource.

A homemade solar still can easily condense water, or even purifty some contaminants from water. It isn't quick, and it doesn't produce a lot of water, and I'd urge anyone that feels this is a "simple" solution to water problems to test out this hypothesis and attempt to survive for a short period -- say, a week -- on the water they can capture from their handy portable "machine" of which there are apparently hundreds of. This would, of course, include ALL water usage, not just the drinking water.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
We have more water than we need at the moment, the problem here is the pipes that carry the water are constantly leaking and we lose way more through leakage than is used or could possibly be used.
Fix the pipes fix the problem.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
My country (Uruguay) shares with it's 3 neighbours one of the largest system's aquifers in the world (the Guaraní) being an important source of fresh water.

The US government has obviously put it's eye on it a very long time ago, installing some military bases and secret services.

Also many lands above the aquifer had been bought by foregin capitals.

Apart from that my country is "the only one in Latin America that has achieved universal coverage of access to safe drinking water supply and adequate sanitation". No doubt we have all the private sector vampires desperate to put their claws on it.

The south american politicians are so easy to corrupt (and such bend over puppets) that I have no doubt our water reserve will be completely sold for a few shiny coins in a short period of time.

[edit on 10/5/09 by plutoxgirl]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by toltecnightmare
The solution to dwindling water supplies would be to mine our solar system for it, since we know it's out there in abundance. Alot of it just happened to land HERE [doesn't mean we have all of it.]

The military always has technology years beyond what the public knows about, but with a public cover story like NASA, sitting on the same shuttle propulsion technology since the 60s [seriously, give me a break!] it seems to us like it would take far too many years to ever obtain it, and the public would probably buy into some water-war garbage, since they can't think for themselves.

I've heard the argument elsewhere too, that there is ICE in the outer solar system not water, which is crap, in case you are one of those. the only reason it isn't all ice here is because of our distance from the sun. sure not all of it is H20, but damnit! we have chemistry on our side.

With water being a corporate commodity now, the other solution would be that once they used everything here, there would be a corporate space race to see who could break light speed travel first, and the ONLY thing positive anyone can ever say about corporations, is that they can definitely organize quickly and make extreme technological breakthroughs if there's a buck to be made.

Its not an element dude - its a molecule.
Ow i've read everything.......

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Australia is stuffed already - for those who think this is not an issue - we need all the water you have - when Australia tees up with China, and we come and take your water - how you gonna feeld then. Water wars are already happening - Israel fought a war over it.

The Palestinian west bank has access to oil as well for those who are not aware.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn
reply to post by argentus

You must not have seen this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It seems in a lot of places the rain does not belong to you and your collecting it is theft.

Wonder how long before we get jailed for breathing.

Well I wonder if a product like this is illegal then. (atmospheric water generation)

www.ecoloblue.com...

It is pretty expensive at over $1k, so not really attainable for everyone. If it comes to a life and death situation, you can always use the dirt cheap method.

www.ehow.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

A source as abundant as water can never be fully controlled. UNLESS they invent one of these(video). I don't think that we have to worry about running out of water. And what about that water machine that AJ advertises. Takes the moisture out of the air and make like 7 gallons a day! Whooo Hooo ! Technology!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

This is a great thread. My grandfather talked about the next big war after oil will be water for years. One reason why he chose Canada to immigrate to back after WW2 (he was a general for both the allies and axis).

We in North America often take the water supply for granted but it will not always be like that. Great post!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join