It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(SUBMISSION) Pink FLoyd, UTAH's lone flamingo! (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
in 1990, a Chilean Pink Flamingo made his escape from Salt Lake City's TRACEY AVIARY. He flew to the Great Salt lake wich is rich in brine shrimp. Its to salty for any other life in the water.....the flamingo was nicknamed Pink Floyd by the locals and can be seen easily in the winter from the shores. The Great Salt Lake is a haven to birdlife, but this Flamingo is one of a kind to the lake.

I know that flamingos are a 'flocking' bird and I feel so bad for Pink Floyd out there all alone....but I am NOT alone in my concerns for him......MANY people in Utah wish Pink Floyd could have some buddys, and folks are attempting to lobby governmant leaders to purchase other Chilaen flamingos and let them loose on the lake. These people are even offering to pay the expenses of buying Floyd some 'friends'. The local wildlife dept has serious 'issues' with this idea.....saying flamingoes being NON NATIVE to the area could change/hurt the enviroment....there is a group of people calling themselves 'Friends for Floyd' who make regular trips to the lake to place plastic pink flamingos on the shores, so Pink Floyd wont feel so all alone...(its a shame though that tourists take the plastic ones as souverniers)..I for one think a flock of these fabulous birds would be just a feather in the cap of Utah...... I am amazed at how well Floyd deals with our changing weather, and serious winters. He is doing very well out there, even if he is lonely.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I am SO HAPPY that ATS allowed me to make this post!
I know its not PARANORMAL or anything, but sometimes its just nice to read about something that puts a smile on your face!.......we can all use an extra smile these days........thank you ATS...

(I shall scan and attempt to up load a picture of Pink Floyd hanging out at the lake)

new topics

join