Woman is denied from using rainwater off her own roof!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
HA! the first problem is asking to harvest it. It falls from the sky, who is going to know where it came from, unless you tell them.

if it's really that serious, and a corporation says that they have a legal right to it, with fines to back it up, the entire [or a portion of] the community needs to file a class action lawsuit against the corporation for negligence in the transporting practices of their goods, and the illegal dumping of said unwanted 'goods' onto people's property.

if they argue that that's ridiculous, there's your chance to retort that it's just as ridiculous as claiming you own the rain.

I'm going to file for a patent on human farts. That way i can sue everyone who uses my invention for their own bodily relief

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by SpacePunk
This is why you don't apply for 'permits' for things that are trivial. It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to beg for permission. If you think you have to ask, the answer will always be 'no'.

meh. nobody is that stupid... ok maybe some..
ok maybe lots...
but not someone who's smart enough to get off the grid with solar and grow their own food, is stupid enough to apply for using rain water.

In defense of the lady, maybe she was new to the area. She had a business, so she probably wanted to keep all her permits and licenses up to date for the business. And she probably thought to herself, "This is an automatic. They'll never deny me a permit to collect rainwater. What a silly notion!".

I think it's a cleverly designed psy-op to make people want to use rain water more.. thus lessening the demand on the syste.. and going with the green movement.

I doubt very much if that is the case. It doesn't take much at all to convince people to gather all the free water they can in arid areas such as Colorado. It's to their benefit.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Heh, seeing laws and regulations like this really make me chuckle. The fine is only $500..collect that rainwater anyway hun, tell i said you can kiss the fatest part on my kister.

The corporations owns rights to rainwater that falls from the sky, lol. The only reason they are getting away with his junk is because you let them, its like Americans aren't hungry for freedom anymore or better yet too many of us haven't had to fight tooth and nail for it. So when a law which is bull plop gets passed rather than fighting it we just grumble and sit on the couch complaining about the law, hehe.

What makes us think that just because a law is passed or on the books it's for our own good? Just collect that rainwater, don't pay the fine, prepare to go to jail, get a lawyer and schedule some air time. Fighting crime can net a profit!

However rain water is a major source of water, especially in land locked areas. A source of water could be a problem in Colorado, i don't know the annual rain water tables. Doesn't the Colorado river run through colorado? That puppy drains all the way into the gulf of mexico, that's alotta water. Combine a decreasing snow melt, lower annual rain rates, and a growing drain on underground lakes and water sources..it's tough.

But seeing a corporation put the ban hammer on this, it's all about cake. Instead of collecting it yourself, they want you to buy it. I would take this up to the supreme court. I have to see sensitive data on this because i feel, no this IS a major infringement of my rights..It's time to put in work lady.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Haha that's genius!!! if they can refuse you the right to collect 'their rain', then file a lawsuit saying that 'their property' is constantly covering and DAMAGING her property.

Lawsuit!!!! Your property is causing rusting to my vehicles etc. If i don't have a right to use it, it has no right on my property. SCORE!!!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by toltecnightmare
HA! the first problem is asking to harvest it. It falls from the sky, who is going to know where it came from, unless you tell them.

if it's really that serious, and a corporation says that they have a legal right to it, with fines to back it up, the entire [or a portion of] the community needs to file a class action lawsuit against the corporation for negligence in the transporting practices of their goods, and the illegal dumping of said unwanted 'goods' onto people's property.

if they argue that that's ridiculous, there's your chance to retort that it's just as ridiculous as claiming you own the rain.

I'm going to file for a patent on human farts. That way i can sue everyone who uses my invention for their own bodily relief

Actually you should be able to legally get them to pay for roof repairs and water damage done by their water if someone has legally claimed rain as their entity. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult but not enough people think outside the box to do this.

But as for the whole discussion this has been going on in select areas for quite some time now.

Like another poster said you just don't say anything to anyone about it. As a child we had no water and all of ours was taken out of wells we had that collected rain water as it fell. The wells were designed in such a way they were not visible and were covered up by the ground and under the wells had pipes and the whole 9 yards. There was also an absorption method that was used that I'm not familiar with but my father had said it would also adsorb water from the ground into the well. Reason being there were no water lines anywhere near our home.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

The Colorado Water Court agreed, and Kris was denied the right to store a few barrels of rainwater. If she persisted with rain harvesting, she would be subject to fines of up to $500 per day.

you have to ask to store your own rain water from you own roof, since when?

I have done that during droughts I never asked for permission.

and I aint gonna ask.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Yep, it's a complete joke. i wouldn't tell them. Even if you are 'caught' they can't prove how long you've been doing it. Innocent until proven guilty, and if you give them their water back 'ie throw it all over them
' then property returned, no harm done, they go home, you carry on collecting. AND claim damages whilst you're there.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Her first fault was applying for the license for water usage.
Her second fault was telling people about it.

If she would have done this secretly and not created a scene about it she would have been left alone to do what she wants.

In the united states, most governments mandate that water that falls from the sky is owned by the state. This is a law because if water falls on your property and damages your neighbors property, your neighbor could sue you for "your" water damaging their property. If the state owns it, they could only sue the state and you know how far that would go.

So to relieve all unneeded lawsuits states mandated that the water belongs to the state to alleviate all of the future lawsuits that would reek havoc amongst neighborhoods.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienChaser
reply to post by krusin_

Just an observation to everyone who blames Obama for this water issue...
READ THE DATE OF THE ARTICLE!!!
I am pretty sure that he was not POTUS at that time...I have been wrong before though.
idjits

And heres an observation that I will point out to everyone who hasn't yet grown tired of bringing patisan pouting into countless threads where it doesn't belong!

Before Your post the name Obama has been mentioned exactly ONE time. And it was mentioned relating to Carol Browners involvment in both the Clinton administration as well as the current Obama administration. A relative point considering that she is a driving force behind these rules. You are the only on who has put the words blame and Obama in the same sentance.

Instead of steadfastly looking for a fight in which you can valliantly defend Obama, perhaps you should ask yourself if you agree with laws that prevent a person from collecting rainwater from there own roofs, and consider joining the discussion.

Just to clear the air between me and you, I am from Canada...I don't care about Obama, or Bush, or left wing, or right wing, or democrat, or republican...you can fight your own fight about that crap. I just hate it when a good thread gets totally divided into partisan bullspit...I don't know if this thread would have gone the same way or not, but I figured I would try and put a stop to it.

thanks for the quick assumptions about my by the way...now onto more important things, like taxing atoms and sunlight...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
i have readthis thread with great interest and am just shaking my head in disbelief.
i like other posters ideas to sue them because something they claim legal rights to destroyed my property. fine your property damaged mine- you pay for it.
but where does it end?
if i am a beekeeper does that give anyone that my bees take pollen from their plants a right to part of my honey? or does that constitute theft? even tho they wouldn't have any plants without my bees or the rain they don't own- which would also kill my beehives.
or am i allowed part of their fruits, flowers etc. because my bees pollinated them so they can grow?
gov't needs to shape up and allow us our NATURAL resources that we have been using since the dawn of mankind and just back off and not be so money hungry.
they just might just find out how far theycan push us and i can gaurantee they won't like what happens when it finally does.
anyone remember mussolini and what happened?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

This is why we left Colorado. While I was in the Air Force, I was treated like a queen, but once I left the military, I was treated like I was scum by the government. They have A LOT of unnecessary laws, and they treat their people horribly. My husband is disabled, and a social worker decided that since he is such, he shouldn't be allowed to be a father. We had to fight the first year of our daughter's life to keep her.

Sure, it is a beautiful state, but the people and the government are HORRIBLE! I loved the hiking and such, but I sure didn't like the people. I remember a time when I saw a lady with a broken down car in downtown Colorado Springs, and no one would stop to help her. I stopped and did what I could. She gushed: "Oh, the people here are so friendly and nice!" I told her, "Honey, I'm not a native, I'm from Indiana." That stopped her in her tracks.

This stupid law about not being able to use your own rainwater is just one more reason I will never return to live in Colorado again. Maybe visit one day, when the kids are grown so I don't have to fight the Colorado government for them again.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Mistyh]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
She shouldn't have gotten in trouble

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Ok, so the state takes control of the water to avoid a lawsuit-happy country. BUT why does somebody have to own everything? Rain is a natural occurence, why do they have to own it? if nobody owned it (like naturally nobody can really OWN rainwater, because they can't physically police its use) then nobody can place a claim because of it and free to collect it as they see fit. As you can at a river etc.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

Yeah, Spinkyboo had an excellent remark 'how dare we steal the sun'. Its all about control and collecting taxes.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mistyh

Hi there. I moved to Colorado from Gary, Indiana so for what it's worth Colorado is better. We're down south in an unpopulated region so people do get away with more and they are a lot nicer down here. Lots of ground to cover for a handful of offenders. One would have to be blatant to get caught.

This lady was running a business as a business owner if you want to protect your investment you've got to jump through their hoops and try to make up for it in other ways. That's business she was just doing what was right.

I'm telling you she would have been found out. People love to gossip and someone downstream who followed the letter of the law or owns water rights is on the outlook for cheaters.

There was a dispute between two families in our development. There's only 9 full time residents. Anyway one family was going to report the other for breaking our bankrupt-land-developments-no longer-enforceable-covenants, pretty lame really, to counter threats were made and pictures taken of the opposing neighbor's rain barrels and water collection system. Seeing how the family collecting the rain water could be held to state law concerning rain harvesting the matter was discreetly dropped.

You've got to remember our area is unique in that our mountains hold vast amounts of water as snow and it's in a hurry to leave our high altitudes. Long ago when not many people lived here the rich guys ventured in and bought up anything and everything they were "grandfathered" in a term we hear over and over. Kansas has rights to the water that falls on my roof.

Any homemade damn, pool or rain barrel restricts the flow of water from our state. Imo all our water would run from the front range if it's not damned up but not everyone is allowed to do that. Ranchers are allowed to mound up dirt around a low spot for cattle but without a permit anyone else would be in violation. If you buy ranch land with some of these water holes I don't think they can make you open them up they are "grandfathered" in.

Our soil is prone to runoff and does not hold surface water our real water is down in the aquifer. Water running from the mountains cut through our lands like a knife. Snow accumulation is closely monitored those east of us know approximately how much water should leave the front range and there's hell to pay if the numbers don't add up. These laws were put in place so long ago and the old rich guys are hard pressed to give up exclusive rights to water. Those interested in keeping such laws on the books make donations and most likely lobby to keep things as is.

It's really no different than other states that have issues concerning their natural resources. It's a fact our mountains help water the vast grasslands of the US making a lot of agriculture and raising of livestock possible. Through imminent domain land can be taken for mining operations. It's the way it is what can I say that's why we hide out amongst the cattle way down south. They really don't like us down here there's not enough of us to matter. The money people only show up when they want to rape the land for gas or minerals or buy up land.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Here's how you beat this. Quite simple actually:

This group of people who "claim" the water as theirs only, effectively are claiming ownership of said water.

Fine.

Then they also bare responsibility for all the DAMAGE rain water can cause:

1) Leaky roof damage
(insurance companies would love to have someone to sue when property gets damaged by rain)

2) Land erosion damage
(place a value on the soil that runs off your property every year due to rain, charge them for it)

3) Flood damage
(it's "their" water that fell from the sky that swelled the rivers that flooded my town, so then they are responsible for paying for the damage that THEIR water caused)

And so on. If they want to legally stake a claim of ownership on rain, then are responsible for the damages it causes.

If that sounds insane or unreasonable to them, then maybe they should reevaluate their own position.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is really a sad thread. Government taxing/controlling RAIN! I live in the Califorinia Delta region and have grown up watching similar water controls. The state takes a large majority of our water from the North and ships it down via the California and Delta Mendota aquaducts to Southern California.

As for the comment on here that someone made about getting water from a river being free, I hate to break the news but the government watches pretty closely the amount of water taken in from the river to irrigate farmland. And lets not forget that if we are irrigating our farmland we are potentially damaging ceratin fish habitat which gives the government another method to control our water and thus control US!

And as for the people that keep saying "just harvest the water and don't ask for permission"...How ridiculous is it that we need to bury our heads in the sand due to a law like this. We essentially let them legislate all of us into criminals...Well one day they may be stupid enough to take action against all of us for breaking these ludicris laws. This needs to be squashed in a very public fashion. I'll leave how it's squashed up to the majority.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Let's say she was granted the right to the water which fell on her roof and property. She starts storing it, and others catch on. Soon thousands of folks in Colorado start storing rainwater, on both sides of the Rockies.

My girlfriend works for the Utility Services Department of the city in which we live, and I asked her about this thread. She basically said one person doing it wouldn't be a big deal. However, word gets out, and since a precedent is set, everyone starts doing it. If a mere 10% of rain water from the rockies were kept privately, it would significantly deplete the supply to the colorado river. In Nevada, Arizona, and Southern California, where water is starting to become VERY scarce, this would have a VERY negative impact.

The Colorado River supplies 100% of the water where I live. It's such a concern, that homeowners can be fined if they're irrigating their lawns, and water is running into the street. In Nevada, where I live, we're already in a dire situtation when it comes to water. Every winter, there's the Rocky Watch, where we hope the snowfall in the Rockies is on the western side, so that the Colorado gets replenished.

I'm not justifying anything, I'm simply saying that when the State denies someone the ability to catch what you'd think is a resource everyone has a right to, they're not necessarily denying that person's rights to it, they might be looking out for the wellbeing of others who rely on that resource as well.

Cheers.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Wow, next thing you know Im going to recieve a bill telling me I owe money for breathing and the mud puddles in front of my house
Since when does government own nature? "Oh, you took 1000 breaths of air today that equals about $600 dollars, we want it by tomorrow"
Pricks.

Great job finding this!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Interesting, learned a few things from this thread.

My humble contention is what someone mentioned earlier.
I'm not advising anyone to willfully break the law but there are some things that you just need to quietly 'walk around'. That said, in this instance, I would have said NOTHING and just quietly and in secret collected the rainwater. She is going to be using water whether it comes out of the faucet or from the sky anyway..(She's going to be using the water whether she blocks it or its allowed to flow into the money making coffers before hand-it's the SAME frikkin' water in this case and boo hoo, the municipality didn't get to make money on it.) does anyone see the futility of all the afformentioned arguments based on this simple fact? If she was collecting the water then shipping it out of state I might could see a reason to raise cain but give me a break. It really boils down to money and quite frankly I don't care about any corporations profits, especially in this particular case.

Two options that fascinate me are desalination:

US' largest desalination plant.

And

(For local use)

Atmospheric water generators.

Eventually, I think water desalination is going to be more and more viable as populations increase. If we can build a stupid oil pipeline through Alaska, we can sure as heck build pipelines across the US to pipe desalinized water from the coastlines.

There is more than one way to skin a goose here and I suggest people get on board with their options and learn to keep their mouths shut.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by ViewFromTheStars]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join