It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Principals here police us but not themselves

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

The best the ad networks can do is identify you as user "XC82FHU8934SIW01" or some other randomly assigned identifier. Then they attempt save the use patterns of your browsing, on sites where their ads appear.

Yup, that's called algorithms....

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Have you seen any ads on ATS/BTS today?

Everytime I visit the firehose pages.

There's a nice yellow and red fruit machine in one and another one with flashing lights telling me "Congratulations, I'm the 9,999,999,999th winner" and that I should "click here" .

Hang on....now I've got a pair of glittering pink panties and a sign that says "I Love Boys" & "click now"

Now one for holidays....Oooooh, now yoghurt.....Finnair....More holidays....
Pink Knickers....Microsoft Learning...My Switzerland.com....

They keep changing....not bad for a few minutes. Maybe they think I should take a break and get some education while wearing pink panties!

Crazy!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Have you seen the new post about no more malware? Also, I dont see any banners anymore, maybe its just my PC though, I dunno...

[edit on 5/9/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Everytime I visit the firehose pages.

Should have specified board pages... threads... recent posts... forum indexes.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

You asked "if" I'd seen any ads, not "where"....

On the main ATS homepage and each of the listings pages for the ATS & NEWS firehoses.

This one is particularly annoying:
content.yieldmanager.edgesuite.net...
&

I can't provide an address for the glittery pink panties one as it's in Flash and not a GIF but it says "Sweet IM.com" bottom right & small.

"Holy Cow".....now there's one for scanning clothes to see underwear! :

See what I mean? .. hope this helps (would you like me to send more links in your special thread dedicated to these kind of ads?)

[edit on 10/5/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Not sue what it is...but I don't see any blinking ads anywhere...I've seen some ads but my goddess man...would you prefer to pay for the usage of this site?

I adore the fact that this place is free. I run a site and I don't have ads at all...the difference is my is a microcosm in comparison to the size of this place. Why not just start your own conspiracy website? You can do anything you like then.

yeesh....

-Kyo

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Since I last came here, I ran a scan on my computer and I have not been anywhere but here. This is the result of the scan:

Cache\advertising.com = spyware
Cache\ad.yieldmanager.com = spyware
Cache\ardmt.com = spyware
Cache\doubleclick.net = spyware
Cache\questionmarket.com = spyware
Cache\realmedia.com = spyware
Cache\statcounter.com = spyware
Cache\specificclick.net = spyware
Cache\zedo.com = spyware

These are spyware cookies SkeptciOverlord....Deny Ignorance.

This is every day, every time I come here this crap gets attached to my computer.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
These are spyware cookies SkeptciOverlord....

I can assure you, with all sincerity, those cookies are not spyware, and cookies are not spyware.

What you're seeing is fear-mongering on the part of your virus/malware scanner.

Cookies are not spyware.

Cookies are not spyware.

Just because software with a vested interest in scaring you classifies something as scary is no reason to believe it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

What you're seeing is fear-mongering on the part of your virus/malware scanner.

Just because software with a vested interest in scaring you classifies something as scary is no reason to believe it.

LMBO. It's a conspiracy I tell ya! The malware scanner's gone H.A.L. on us!
You're a funny guy, S.O.

Thanks for all you do to make our browsing experience on ATS a safe and pleasant one.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

These are spyware cookies SkeptciOverlord....

I can assure you, with all sincerity, those cookies are not spyware, and cookies are not spyware.

You're absolutely right S.O.

More like door-to-door salesmenware.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

If one is worried about cookies or anything else, use Mozilla Firefox and close it down after each site. You can set it up to erase all cookies and other items, and there is no problem. Also, there are other programs out there that will clean and erase the registries on one's computer. As has been mentioned before, cookies are not spyware.

[edit on 5/10/2009 by kidflash2008]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Cookies are not spyware.

Cookies are not spyware.

Wrong. Not all cookies are spyware but spyware comes in the form of a cookie or cookies. Your logic is not working. Anything that attaches itself to my computer and provides feedback to the place where the cookie came from regarding where I go = spyware. If they are watching what I am doing, it is spyware.

You can call a pile of dog crap gold and it is still a pile of dog crap.

And I am not concerned about the actual cookies and my virus software is not trying to scare me into thinking this is more than what it is. I know what it is. I don't need you or my virus software to tell me what it is. It's spyware. It's annoying and it's more annoying that you, Skeptic Overlord, feel the need to lie about it. Just be honest. You need advertising money to survive and your advertisers use spyware.

It's just funny to me that a conspiracy site, that is concerned about US citizens and citizens of other countries being unlawfully spied on by their own governments, spies on its members (or allows its members to be spied on). A wonderful double standard.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Wrong. Not all cookies are spyware but spyware comes in the form of a cookie or cookies.

Sorry, but you're way off. Cookies are simply text files allowed to be written to a segmented area of your computer by your web browser. They are nothing more than text files and cannot contain executable code.

Anything that attaches itself to my computer and provides feedback to the place where the cookie came from regarding where I go = spyware.

Please read my other explanations on this. I've been using cookies since I was on the beta team for Netscape 0.9b where they were first introduced. On there own, "cookies" cannot do what you're claiming. When combined with server-side intelligence by ad networks, they can record browsing domains, but cannot associate that with you personally... only a randomly assigned identifying number.

I'm sorry, but you're misinformed on this issue.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Spyware Guide

In other words....don't panic

Besides you get cookies everywhere...welcome to the net

-Kyo

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Now you're arguing semantics. The spyware requires a cookie in order to work. The cookie itself isn't the spyware. It is the road the spyware uses. WHATEVER. Cookies are used for a variety of reasons and no kidding re: welcome to the web. Cookies have been around for a long time and so has spyware. I'm just surprised that:
1. This site takes part in it (spyware not cookies)
2. The owner of this site can't even be honest about it

It's certainly disappointing.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Semantics?

So why don't I have any spyware from here? Maybe what you have you THINK is spyware.

Then again...if you say it...it must be correct

Have fun with your 'spyware'

PS...spyware doesn't need cookies...exe's can do it, viruses, all sorts of things that never needed cookies. I went to a site once (probably shouldn't have) but I did...downloaded something...found spyware attached to it

Look ma! No cookies!

-Kyo

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

PS...spyware doesn't need cookie

Didn't say it did. Cookies are just one way to attach spyware to a machine. There are many other ways to do it. I was talking about spyware here as it relates to cookies.

Again, semantics....

Whatever you want to call it and whatever spin you want to put on it, bottom line is, it's going on here and it truly goes against everything this site supposedly stands for or I should say, stood for.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Your words...YOUR words

There are cookies that are not spyware but spyware requires cookies to work.

So yes you did say spyware requires cookies to work

-Kyo

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Cookies are just one way to attach spyware to a machine. There are many other ways to do it. I was talking about spyware here as it relates to cookies.

You're wrong, and you apparently refuse to listen to logic and reason so there's nothing I can do.

Cookies are used by browsers. They are text files.

Spyware is various applications, which do not use cookies... browsers use cookies.

You can cary on ignoring reason, logic, and facts as much as you like. But please don't accuse us/me of anything for which you do not posses solid factual proof.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join