It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are They Going Too Far to Protect Israel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Criminalizing criticism of Israel is the end of free speech

I was reading this article, and in the past I understood hate crimes. But this isn't hate crimes anymore, this is the restriction of freedom of speech, on basic history and current events.

If this really happens then there will be a backlash against this.

Is the Jewish lobby really that powerful that they can override the American Constitution.

Believe me I AM NOT anti-Semitic, my belief structure favors the Jews.
But this is a political strike against ALL freedom of speech, and that I do not favor.

What's Next?

[edit on 9-5-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
There is already a thread on this subject.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-5-2009 by sueloujo]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I am completely sympathetic with everything you've said, Blue_Jay. I would not worry about it, personally. I am against regulating hate speech. There is so much that I hear that makes me sick inside. All of the hate floating around this planet. I especially find many of these conspiracy sites full of hate filled vitriol. It actually makes me feel so downtrodden when I read it sometimes that I wonder, if conspiracy theories are true and there is a secret group or groups of people controlling the world maybe it's better that they do and not the racist, bigoted, hate filled people of the earth.
That being said, I believe in the 1st amendment and freedom of speech. There are many things I really don't want to hear but there should be a wide open venue for the thoughts to be vocalized, anyway. At the very least, it lets you know who your neighbors are.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I totally understand your fears. Shutting mouths is not good, even counterproductive. If someone is wrong - then the best thing is not to shut him up, but to show what exactly is wrong.
As an example: the article you link too speaks about Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009.
Here is a link to it. Please , show me how what is written in the article is correlated to this act.

According to what i read, this act is supposed to prevent this:

willfully causes bodily injury to any person or, through the use of fire, a firearm, a dangerouse weapon, or an explosive or incendiary device, attempts to cause bodily injury to any person, because of the actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of any person

Nothing about use of tongue/keyboard/pen.

www.govtrack.us...
dozen of edits - all it took to get link right. Piece of cake.
[edit on 9-5-2009 by ZeroKnowledge]

top topics

join