It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google locked my Internet browsing. A Freedom of speech issue?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The computer maniac is here. =)

Things you can try.

Install Firefox(MOST RECOMMENDED.)[With this you can also diagnose if it is your web browser being the problem.]

Enable/Disable your network via control panel.

Adjust your DNS(Domain Name Server) back to default(255.255.255.0-255) typically.

Request a new IP using IPCONFIG in cmd prompt.

Ummmmm.....

Try installing firefox and see if it works on that, if it doesn't I'm willing to bet it's a networking problem but it's most definitely not someone watching your computer.

=D

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Lol.

That's all I have to say.

Where did you learn about computers? Background experience? Viruses don't give 403.6s. They give you Internal Errors or 404s.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I have had similar problems - I felt I was being targeted and prevented from free net access. I am using a net cafe at the moment, but in my home it is a real problem.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012

Adjust your DNS(Domain Name Server) back to default(255.255.255.0-255) typically.

The fact that you denigrate someone else on this board notwitstanding, that's really really sound advice.
This will ensure that their system has no way of resolving names against addresses... (btw WW, if you're still reading this thread, don't listen to this advice unless you dont want to be able to get BACK to read the thread afterwards)...

Not to mention most TYPICALLY, unless in corporate environments, are having their DNS served to them via DHCP. OR most likely their routers are obtaining DNS via DHCP and your name resolution comes from your router.

(A DNS with 255.255.255.0-255????? I have yet at any point to see anyone use a bit mask as a DNS address LOL , let alone it being impossible to occupy that address space)....I think it's a bit irresponsible on your part to give out advice that could potentially harm someone else if you don't have a full grasp on it.

AB1

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
This is usually an error generated by trying to browse websites by directory.

A lot of people these days (actually for quite some time) disallow using their servers from anything other than from the main URL (ie., www.abovetopsecret.com versus going directly to www.abovetopsecret.com/forums/showmeyourhiddenstuff/default.html)

This is typically what causes errors like this. Not sure if that's the case for you or not.

Alphabetaones' explanation is right on the mark. Sometimes these things show up in a google search, but you can't hit them (the web pages may have been deleted by the owner or blocked by their service.)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012

Monkeying with the DNS and IPCONFIG is not always the best idea unless you happen to be (like some of us) very good with computers. Prompting the computer to "repair connection" will do something similar without running the risk of the poor person being confronted with strings of prompts and no clue what to do about it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Multiple people have referenced the possibility of her using a scraping program, or having one active on her computer.

If she doesn't know she has one one on her computer, then the best way to see that would be to have her in safe mode, seeing if she stops getting that error.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Like I said, most recommend, get Firefox or another web browser and see if it has the same problems. If it does then it is a problem with your network configuration, or an add-on.

For the genius with the comment about the DNS server, 0-255 means automatic and specifically relates to router issues, which means I could of been a bit more specific, yeah, but none the less the point remains valid, if somehow her networking configuration dicked with the DNS when the router is using it instead of DHCP due to modem/ISP regulations, it needs to be correct which can be done fairly simple within the router's FLASH.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Seriously, you have some kind of PC problem here, be it a virus/trojan or networking issue.

If it were me, I'd use a linux live CD (from say www.ubuntu.com) and try browsing normally again, that'll rule out anything except the IP. Failing that, I'd try a new IP address, how to achieve that depends on your ISP.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have been getting " this page might harm your computer" web sites too many times. Its all part of the conspiracy to limit one's awarness.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I'm still confused. I never type in the url, except when I'm connecting to a know URL like .com, .edu, .gov,.org, etc.

I can only guess when I type in "classified" or "unclassified", which I had dont the night before this happened may be the problem.

I never use an URL in the top search bar when searching google for "how to build a rabbit hutch" It only allows me to search in the news link.

On google web it still requires me to verify my IP address. Maybe badmedia is right and they think I'm a bot, however I truly dont do excessive google searching.

badmedia said it would take a LOT to cause this. Since that doesnt apply to me I wonder why they may think I'm a bot? Maybe they simply dont like what I type in about cover-ups? Is that possible?

I always come back to the conclusion of subjects I search and being on a terrorist list. I have never searched for how to blow up a building or anything like that. I have looked up top secret government issues though.

This is only based on my love of science and technology. Trying to get behind closed doors. I'm not a hacker though.

If something on my computer was constantly running queries to google it would take up a lot of CPU. Nothing on my computer is doing this. All is good on my end.

Since I have 3 computers in my house it doesnt make sense why all 3 cant search google. Ive checked them all, one by one.

To who ever asked what my operating system is. 2 have vista but the one in my attic has XP pro. Still there isnt a problem I can see.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Instead of wasting countless hours postulating here on what the cause may be, real simple....call them and ask em.

AB1

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone

Instead of wasting countless hours postulating here on what the cause may be, real simple....call them and ask em.

AB1

I appreciate your advice and also accepted your previous advice. I'm not asking ATS members to help with a computer tech probelm, nor am I asking how to fix a virus.

I've used google for years and have enjoyed it. I am alarmed that they may consider me a bot or something else. I'll see if there is a phone number to google tech but I'm still bothered by the "Why"

I wonder if a bot can enter through an automatic update? If I did have a bot wouldnt it affect searches on other engines like MSN, etc? Like I said, in the event a bot was on my computer it would use a huge amount of CPU wouldnt you think?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is the google phone number I found for their headquarters in the Silicon Valley (650) 253-0000.

I called and the recording said google does not offer customer support at this time visit us on the web. I cant search google web.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

If an automatic update caused the issue, more would be at stake than your google, and certainly more mainstream attention given to it...it would be a Microsoft issue, which would be catastrophic. People from all sides of the fence would have jumped all over it.

As far as the bot sucking up all the CPU resources, the short answer would be no, not necessarily if it were designed with a particularly small footprint in mind. Any bot or trojan or virus worth it's salt is going to make itself seem as transparent and innocuous to the end-user as possible. However, what WOULD be more prevalent woult be an exorbitant amount of network resources and bandwidth out of your network being userped by it. At that, again, any bot worth it's salt would only do so sporadically not to 'tip off' the infected machines user.

A decent suggestion may be to find someone who has a decent grasp on packet sniffing (on the network) or experience with a protocol analyzer (if you are SERIOUSLY unsure about your traffic) and keep tabs for a period of time, in the business usually considered packet captures) to determine if there is an IP address within your address space that is making a ton of queries to Google.

I suspect though, that you've got nothing to worry about ... this is just opinion.

AB1

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here's the official URL where you can request to be unblocked:
www.google.com...

Stupid enough, it's on www. google .com, so I hope it works for you.. If not, you could use a proxy (any proxy will do). If that's a hassle, one of us could do it for you probably.

I'm not sure whether you've said it already & I missed it, but, have you found out yet whether your IP is dynamic (always the same, or not ;])? Because if so, the previous 'owner' of the IP could have been harassing google, resulting in a block for whoever has that IP at this moment.

If there really is something running on your computers, I don't think it would have an impact on the CPU, because network requests aren't really any work for the CPU. There would be quite an effect on bandwidth though.. There are programs that show all your network connections so you can see whether anything is running on the background. I did a quick search for Windows and found this: anyutilities.blogspot.com...
(Of course you can always do the hardcore MS-DOS netstat ;D)

[edit on 11-5-2009 by scraze]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

I checked my bandwidth and it hasnt exceeded the threshold. That google number doesnt offer customer support.

I'll simply stick with MSN.com or try updating to IE7,??

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
WW,

I'm going to add this to the discussion, directly from Google on that "we're sorry..." message..

Read this first

* The 'We're Sorry' message appears when Google detects that a computer on your network is sending automated traffic to Google. Automated queries are against our Terms of Service.
* The error page most likely displays a CAPTCHA (a squiggly word with a box below it). To continue using Google, type the squiggly word into the box -- it's how we know you're a human, not a robot.

If you don't see a captcha image or if you continue to encounter the CAPTCHA over and over, try these steps in order:

1. Check for malware on your computer.

Malicious software, sometimes bundled with other free downloads without your knowledge, can trigger Google to serve the 'We're Sorry' page. We've suggested some well-known programs below that can detect and remove such applications. Please remember that we have no connection with these companies and can't guarantee their effectiveness.
* Lavasoft Ad-Aware
* Spybot Search and Destroy
* MacScan (for Mac users)

2. Contact your network administrator.

If you tried the steps above and haven't resolved the issue, it's very likely that a user or a computer in your network is sending automated traffic to Google. Your network administrator may be able to locate and shut down the source of the automated traffic; feel free to refer them to this page. Sending automated queries of any sort to Google is against our Terms of Service. This includes, among other things, the following activities:
* Using any software that sends queries to Google to determine how a website or webpage ranks on Google for various queries
* 'Meta-searching' Google
* Performing 'offline' searches on Google

Once the automated traffic has stopped, the ban on your IP address should be automatically lifted.
3. If the problem persists, your network administrator should contact us.

If your network continues to experience this message in error, please send us additional information.

Source

I'm also going to throw this into the mix, OFTEN when things of this nature arise, it seems that the only recourse a lot of people have (without getting involved too deeply in the mechanics of registries and the like) is ComboFix.... often ComboFix will straighten things out where even some anti-viral removal software and sites cant.

******** I'm going to DISCLAIM Here ********* That you do any of this at your own risk, if you're not careful you can end up with less than desirable results and I don't want you comin back here beating me up

Link to Instructions for use and download of ComboFix

AB1

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by scraze

This is what I found at the reliability and performance of networks.

iexplorer, system, svchost.exe. No other outside interference that I can see.

I admit I don’t like Vista and prefer XP pro. It’s much easier to configure and fix things. I still don’t think it’s my computer.

You have helped a lot thanks.this is the report iexplorer sent 952 receive 4713 total B/M 5665. Does that seem normal? It may not be to reliable while I have 2 windows opened while doing the test.

I’m hoping the link I read is wrong anout a google 403 error. That they can block me without further discussion. They also don’t give google advice on the phone. I did try replying to our U2U but had a flood control.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Thank you. I admit I have never delt with so many highly skilled computer techs as I have on ATS. I wish you guys were all around when I had the blue screen of death or other computer related problems.

It beats getting frustrated calling the Philippines, after about the 10th apology and the 100 thank you Ms. I usually hang up and call a friend. None are as skilled as you guys. TRULY.

This is a new computer ,, about 7 months old. I have never needed to reload the operating system yet. It's running great. I dont like the idea of having a malware program on my computer but have ran different scans and it shows up as claean as can be.

I'll check your links. thank you. Sorry I have the mind of a conspiracy theorist and wonder if I went too far in my google top secret searches.

Thank you for telling me not to let my imagination go wild. I guess Ive been reading too many internet access conspiracy theories and facts, in Brittan.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join