It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google locked my Internet browsing. A Freedom of speech issue?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

What would it mean if it did say that; "we have detected the possibility of external software being used",?

My Google error 403 also states "We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer software" To protect our users your request is denied. Google keeps asking me to verify my IP address by typing the following characters in to the box below. On EACH search. Why would they do that?

I feel like I'm on a watch list now.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I never use google for excessive usage. I'm no different than anyone else. What is scraping??

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
No ads, no unnecessary java, nothing but lovely blue on either side of ats threads and not one ad!

you may want to edit this comment as it's a violation of T&C's to block the ads, just a heads up

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
could it be your internet connection?

i keep a desktop icon to check the internet connectivity every now & then
(because of the radical on-&-off service i get from the local cable carrier)

during the last 8-10 days, the IPs servers was blocking my
'packets' from coming in to the PC....i'd 'time-out', or get
= ERROR 12007, server name/address could not be resolved.....
or else just time-out without the page loading

all my hardware devices & modems are working correctly (at least to the repair wizard) but i concluded that the Cable internet provider servers:
a) DHCP server,
b) two DNS servers..
c) (no WINS server in my connectivity)
were being blocked by the provider...
as they are currently in a massive regional promotion drive & wanted only their 'subscribers' to have high speed internet.

One 15 minute sitting to MY IPs 'live chat' and a couple days later my PC is back to lightning speed,
without my IPs Support Technicians making a house call to see what the local cable connection owner was doing.

You might have a convoluted mess going on too, with your Google 'Search'

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

WW I promise you, you are not on a watch list of any klnd.

A scrape is malicious, most used conventionally by either automated bots attempting to find a way to place themselves higher on googles ratings list OR trojans and other viruses "looking for victims" to exploit. Targeting them via Iframes, etc.

Honestly, you're on no watch list

AB1

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
[. Google keeps asking me to verify my IP address by typing the following characters in to the box below. On EACH search. Why would they do that?

oh... this sound like a different issue...

the request for acknowledging you IP addressis tomake the PC owner responsible and to provide reasons & alibis for reaching sensitive
areas that hackers usually frequent??
the NSA, & surveillance programs like carnivore (and others already noted here on ATS threads) are the ones telling Google & others to keep these records.

my guess is your PC has a dossier

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

No it's not my connection. I have 90% signal strength. I can search any search engine perfectly, except Google. The computers are running great at full speed, with no known virus, malware or spyware. Not that I can find anyways.

I would be worried if I was truly locked out for searching "How to start a civil war" just stupid stuff like that. Someone else may not think they are so stupid.

I'm still hoping its my imagination, working overtime. The thought of truly being censored and blocked as a terrorist is a disturbing thought.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

What would it mean if it did say that; "we have detected the possibility of external software being used",?

My Google error 403 also states "We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer software" To protect our users your request is denied. Google keeps asking me to verify my IP address by typing the following characters in to the box below. On EACH search. Why would they do that?

That is the error. It means for some reason something is going on where you are doing many many searches on google.

Scraping just means doing a bunch of queries and taking part of the result. For example, if I owned ATS and I wanted to see how well I ranked on certain keywords, then I could get software that would perform a bunch of google searches, and then the software would automatically take the results and try to find the ATS website in those results, along with the ranking.

Google hates this because it eats up there resources. They want real searches, not bots checking ratings. Other people also do things like taking the results and copying content for pages they think will rank high, but it's dumb and doesn't work. People still try stuff like that though.

Google already knows your IP address. As does every single website you ever connect to. They are probably just asking you for it to confirm you are an actual person rather than a bot. Not only do they know your IP address, they know your OS, your browser, your screen resolution and so forth. All websites get this information by default, most people only use it for statistical information. For example, I keep track of what browsers people use on a site, and then I make sure it appears ok for that browser. If only 1% of the people use that browser, then I won't worry about it to much.

So for whatever reason, they don't think you are a real person. It takes a good amount to trigger that stuff, so I'd be looking at any PC on your network. You could have a virus that is running commands to search google and so forth. Any PC on your network would cause this problem to happen across all PC's on that network as you describe. Because google is just looking at ip addresses and such.

As someone else mentioned, if you have wireless, someone could be using your wireless and doing these things as well etc.

But it seems you have located the source of your problem.

My first course of action would be to turn off any and all connections to the net for all PC's other than the one you are using. Assuming you have a dynamic IP address(changes all the time), I would then reset my internet connection to get a new IP address, and try a search again. If it happens again, then you know it's a problem with your PC. If it doesn't happen again, then it hints towards another PC.

If google is just working on something new, then the error would be on their end, and they would eventually get it fixed. I use to get that error from time to time on blog searches, but they seemed to have gotten the bugs fixed because it doesn't happen anymore. I haven't had any recent problems with google, and I use them pretty often(I even use them as a spell checker if I can't spell a word).

There can be numerous causes for the google search thing, so it's hard to say what it is. Can be your google toolbar making calls to google in the background and has a bug in it for example. Hard to say, but that error is a result of too many searches, and it requires a good amount of searches in a short time period to trigger that, well beyond the average user.

If that doesn't work - contact google. They are actually pretty friendly and if it is a genuine error, they would LOVE to hear from you about it. Google isn't going to block you for no reason on purpose, if it was a matter of censorship they would just not include the sites in the search results.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
1 other thing. When you try to do a search, is it taking you to a new page, or is it putting the results on the same page?

Google is currently experimenting with bringing search results to people with AJAX. Only about 1% of the users who go to Google will see this. I've never seen it. But if it is trying to give you results on the same url, then it could be that you were randomly selected to test AJAX results and there might be an error in it.

Probably unlikely that this is the cause, but I do know they are currently doing some testing with this. If you are searching off the toolbar, then the answer is an automatic no on this.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yeah, I have seen this problem recently even in my own IT office. Some of our workstations were being locked out of google and not being able to search.

Upon further inspection and inquiry, the problem was the Google was somehow processing our requests as if we, the user, were an automated service that was phishing for information.

Another closer look revealed the ever so elusive Conficker virus installed itself on one of our Web Servers which was being upgrated. We caught it and seem to have removed it from our networks entirely, although with this kind of complexity I can never be sure.

Anyway, that solved our problem here at the office as far as we can tell. My IT guys haven't reported anything strange since then, so about 2 weeks now.

~Keeper

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

O.K I guess I am not computer savvy. I was hoping I was. What is a dossier. I just did a NONgoogle search and only found computer science dossier.

From the way you describe it it sounds like I'm on a watch list. Who are these people at ATS that warn google? What is their intention?

I have looked up some risky stuff on google like "Unclassified" or "Classified" etc. but not recently.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Google take me to a different page but not AJAX. Just an error message. I assumed it would be the same URL but didnt check.

So Google thinks I'm a bot? What are the odds of this happening? I truly dont do excessive searching.

Is it possible that I have some bot on my computer and where would I find it?

I still have a problem controlling my imagination. I am usually very perceptive. All the conspiracy discussions I have been in?

Is it possible that ATS loads from Google it thinks I'm ATS? What ever it is I dont like it. I always loved Google. I was considering buying stock in them. Not anymore.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

the NSA, & surveillance programs like carnivore (and others already noted here on ATS threads) are the ones telling Google & others to keep these records.

What is this about? This sounds scary also what is a Dossier?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

So you are telling me I’m being monitored by the National Security Agency, the United States Department of Defense and Carnivore the computer surveillance system developed by the FBI that the Senate recently approved for use to investigate terrorism through the Patriot Act?

What other known ATS surveillance methods are being used??

I knew it! It kind of takes the fun out of Freedom of Speech now doesnt it?

I wish I knew who narked me out to these guys. First they think I'm a bot now I'm on the terrorist list. You know what.

I'm ready for them. Come and get me! They dont scare me, as long as no TREATY out trumps my Constitutional rights. Which I'm sure is next.

If they want to investigate the girl next door what does that say to all of you on here!

I admit I over-reacted! too much conspiracy ideas.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone who has helped, even the guys who scared the daylights out of me, Sincerely

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Google gets 400 million searches a day so it's pretty much impossible for them to lock you out for that. I searched for the same thing and have searched for many things worse, and didn't get locked out.... Therefore I think it's a bug or virus...

[edit on 9/5/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
My initial guess (if you did not just change around important settings) is that you have a virus intentionally blocking search engines (or just google) to prevent you from finding the solution.

Or, it could just be a random side affect of a virus.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I have heard of terrorists or pedophiles getting locked out but not a Consiracy Theorist.

I don't mean to alarm but, they probably consider conspiracy theorists terrorists.

[edit on 5/9/2009 by Alexander the Great]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Nothing unusual here. I'm not sure why you think Google has locked you out of browsing, it seems to be that the site you are trying to look at is the problem

Of course everything you type in is recorded, but don't worry about the government (unless you are in England where the gov't does record everything) because it's the private corporation that want to know everything about you -- marketing doncha know.

However just to be on the safe side, you might want to turn your monitor to face the wall when you are not at the computer.. just so no one can watch you from it. Oh and don't surf the web naked either.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Seriously, calm down. it's not that the Government has hijacked your Googles, you have a virus that is sending repeated queries to Google.
That's why you keep getting that error message.

Try safe mode with Networking for about an hour, and see if it persists.
Get to safe mode by rebooting your computer and hitting the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you get Windows Advanced boot options.
Get to safemode w/networking, and just let it sit for about an hour.

Chances are, after that you'll be released by the search lock Google has on you for scraping. if you give it a while to clear, an hour would probably be right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join