It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Cable Networks Show "Independence Day" and "Men In Black" So Frequently?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Because they are good movies

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

Couldnt agree more with your theory. I've had the same thought cross my mind. Also take into account the new "Witch Mountain" Disney movie I havent seen yet that covers the issue. Also, I personally thought "Hortan Hears a Who" was a good 'conditioning' movie for children especially as well to begin thinking more on that type of level.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Because they are good films which people enjoy watching.

Pretty straight forward.

Well that's good on our part then, no?

That means we're responding well and opening our eyes to the possibility of ET's. Go humans!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Disclosure will never be allowed to just happen. We will have already been carefully conditioned on what to think and feel about it long before actual disclosure occurs.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Speaking of Independence Day, it is on right now on the BIO channel if any one wants to watch it again for like the 100th time.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
MIB, ID4, Amageddon and the Deep Impact all rate very highly in the price/viewer formula that every movie and tv show is rated by.

Each channel has their own formula, and it dictates what the schedule for that channel will be. One channel might rate movies on 'star power', 'sfx', 'director power', 'music' ... Literally hundreds of factors that combine to give the company an idea of the marketability of the movie.

Combine this with customer feedback and other means to gathering customer data and you have your base data to which you design your schedule around.

They (cable channels, tv, etc) get the biggest audience for the money they paid to show the movie.

Plus all the blockbuster movies of the 90/00's are mostly sold as a run, e.g you buy MIB with the rights to show it X amount of times. No point having it sitting around not making money, so the schedule is designed to maximize the amount of times a movie can be aired with the largest audence. They then buy the movie again in another 'run' but at a reduced price. The cycle continues until some movies are very cheap to buy and still get great results in viewer numbers.

Many other factors, like current events also play a part in determining when something will be shown.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Don't even need to read all the responses (which I didn't) to say what I have to say.

It is a cleverly designed campaign of indoctrination for the masses who generally don't think about aliens. - Now they do, sometimes. - Well done.

Whatever direction the (secret government) decides to go, these movies will serve their goals. - These guys and gals are very, very good at what they do.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ya know, I was just talking to my wife about this sort of thing tonight. Except, it was during a show on History about ancient astronauts. I told asked her if it seemed like there were more of these types of shows on, or if I just hone into them. She agreed there were alot of them on, and, although I didn't get an answer, I asked if she thought maybe we sere being prepared for something through these kinds of shows. It seems to me like they are getting more and more positive about the possibility of these things (UFOs and the like) than they have in past...

But yah, ID4 and MIB were just great movies.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Kids get alot of this kind of thing lately.

My daughter is really interested in alien things because of the shows her mother (I assume) lets her watch. Any time she sees alien head stickers or alien and UFO temporary tattoos she HAS to have them (though with all of daddy's tattoos she generally has to have any temp tattoos we find).

Look around, a lot of kid's television and movies have to do with aliens of late. And actually I was wondering about this same subject the other day because of the number of times I've seen the OP's 2 examples on lately.

HBO and Cinemax On Demand's channels have been running alot of Alien and AVP movies lately though and I can hardly see that as serving this possible agenda.

But then again totally contrary to the OP, what were they doing to us when I was a kid? Were we supposed to be on the lookout for giant talking cats with swords and humanoid turtles trained in the martial arts?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Well, it's already been said twice, but I'm gonna go with economics/licensing, some movies reach a threshold where they will be sold to networks for a very cheap price (relatively), factor in things such as upcoming sequels or tie-ins and that's pretty much it. When was the last time you saw a Disney movie on a non-Disney channel (one of the good ones anyway)? Disney stuff tends to be expensive, certainly for retail, so I guess it follows that they're going to be expensive for a network to license for viewing.

In the UK I can guarantee that The Great Escape is gonna be on terrrestrial tv at least 5 times a year, I love that film, but it's old and everyone's seen it, so I'm guessing it comes as a cheap package.

I know tv execs/advertising execs are probably pure-evil (like in John Carpenters Prince of Darkness), but I doubt if they're gonna be doing any groundwork to prep us for (benign) alien contact, far more likely they'd be selling us reality tv stuff so we're more placated and docile for the hoistile takeover.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
You know, I've herd of this many many times, and really never gave it much thought.

But the other day, I came into my bed room and there was a new program on and it was talking about this "new strain of flu" and just pretty much what has been spread on the new lately, but then all a sudden I realized it wasn't the news but the movie "The Invasion" and I was shocked at how much it really seemed like the real life event that was happening right at that moment sure as hell gave me the creeps! haha.

Then I remember with the movie "Independence Day" they did a fake news show about aliens invading the earth like HG Wells did (I think that's who sorry) and I was probably about 12 years old and I was so scared.
I thought aliens were really landing on earth, I can't even imagine what it was like when the Radio event like that happened my father said it was crazy.

I do find it strange how they almost try to force you to imagine what it would be like if it were real and will go to any means to make it seem real.

Also, I find it interesting how un reliable the government is in all virus outbreak movies like trying to program us to just pretty much have low standards so when an event like that does happen we'll "appreciate" what they do and think "they could do worse"

If I were to assume that these two movies were always played with an agenda behind them I would assume that

A) Men In Black - Would play the role to make people be more "light hearted" about aliens, and not be as scared and put of with them, to see them in a more "friendly goofy" way, or make it seems so ridiculous it could never happen, also a light hidden message of "we secretly have things under control".

B) Independence Day - Completely one of those movies that is suppose to fill you with hope and pride in your country, to give false comfort that if something so horrible were to happen that we would come together and USA would be the savior of us all, and that they "common" man can be apart of it all and be the hero, possibly making men who feel less achieved will risk their neck and put their life on the line, it's ok if they die as long as they leave their family proud.

These are just my ideas on how these movie could effect the psyche.

Another movie that is ALWAYS on TV is Jurassic Park.
And ever since that movie and actually more recently they have started to talk about a few individuals who may possibly attempt this.

I'd be really interested in seeing a list of movies in the past that have some how predicted real life events.

I think it's possible I really do some how some way, if planned by the government, or something beyond that out of the hands of humans.
It kind of plays on the thoughts behind randomness and so on is anything really random or simply just a coincidence or is there more behind it?
Maybe there's more behind the saying "life imitates art".

/end my mindless rambling.

Star and Flag for an interesting highly relevant topic.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hide the truth in plain sight, and throw in a couple of artistic embellishments, of course .. "oh c'mon, wasn't that in MIB?" ..

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Just slightly off topic. I personally think there is a subliminal message here. The past ten years have given us almost every disaster movie you can think of. Armageddon, Deep Impact to name a few and now 2012....

I remember when I watched Armageddon at the cinema. The thought of an Asteroid hitting earth made me open my eyes and realize how vulnerable we really are.

Some unforeseen message perhaps telling us the shape of things to come. Sooner than we think?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

Maybe because Obama will make a disclosure of Alien and UFO activity around May 31st, unless that has already been debunked.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
listen here there is a real MIB organization anyone ever watch documentaries about alien abductions and ufo crashes the MIB tend to show up almost right away in their typical black unmarked SUVs and helicopters and trucks and clean up the crash sites almost totally and somehow manage to convince any and all witnesses that they didn't see what they know they saw using some cock and bull cover story like what was used in the roswell incident

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
[edit on 6/4/2009 by MsSmartypants]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join