It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft/Armed Forces Question

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
dz, I don't know how the draft would work, no one does, if it ever happens again. One would assume that everyone would take an aptitude of some sort, perhaps the ASVAB, and then after that you would be given a choice of available jobs, that you would be qualified for. So no, you couldn't tell them anything about your job skill, it would depend upon the aptitude test. Unless you were, say a PHD or highly skilled or something, then you would have some say. I don't want to get in the middle of a flame war, but his guy is just curious about an impending war situation. I was scared before I went to Iraq. I had tons of questions too. And if you wouldn't trust him to defend your country, would you take his place? And if you answer yes, I would like to point you to the Army of One. People are dying to get in. Get off your ass, serve your time, then comment on the character of people interested in the draft.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I took the test at the Navy recuting center, and the results predicted that I could be a nuclear technician onboard a submarine. Maybe I could join as an officer, not have to go through boot camp, and fill this position?
/E: NICE counter-attack dz!

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by xenophanes85]

dz

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenophanes85
I took the test at the Navy recuting center, and the results predicted that I could be a nuclear technician onboard a submarine. Maybe I could join as an officer, not have to go through boot camp, and fill this position?

Is it even possible to join without bootcamp? I think I remember hearing somewhere that no matter where you are coming from, boot camp is a requirement.

Originally posted by xenophanes85
/E: NICE counter-attack dz!

Thanks

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Death, taxes, boot camp. Sometimes it's worse for officers. But there are better places for your questions. Try the forums on Military.com This thread is starting to get on my nerves.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Not really related to this topic, but not worthy of a whole new thread: the Navy AND the Marines have been calling me constantly AFTER I told the Navy a military life wasn't for me. Why would they do this? Is this a 'dumbed down' version of the draft? Does the Navy really need nuclear technicians THAT bad? Is telling me I'm smart enought to be a nuclear technician just a 'marketing ploy' to get me to join? Would the military lie like that to a prospective memeber?

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Hey, don't blame me. You're the one who's whining about sleeping in and being petulant and pouty to the officers.

I don't care how many girlfriends you have, you're a sissy. And I'm not impressed with your work record.

And forget Canada..there are some nice people up there. Go to Iran or NK and pull that crap. They'd be more than happy to show you "how far can they go?" or if they are "allowed to touch you". Yeah, they'll touch you, allright.

Oh, BTW, wherever you go, buy a one-way ticket.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I don't care how many girlfriends you have, you're a sissy.

This is not acceptable calling names you know please don't do it again.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk

I don't care how many girlfriends you have, you're a sissy.

This is not acceptable calling names you know please don't do it again.

OK.

dz
Your actions are selfish. You want the benefits that the country has to offer, that many before you have fought for and died to preserve, but you do not want to pay your dues because you're looking forward to a good job in a sunny state with your girlfriend. So you're perfectly OK with letting others defend your lifestyle; what does it matter to you? The CO status is there to be abused by people like you. You want to know how mean the military is allowed to be to you.

I'm sure there is a word that describes that kind of person.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
'becky', he just wants the volunteers to do their job for him - I thought thats what our military is anyways, volunteers? It's not a that as an American citizen you are required to join the military; this is not a militaristic country Sparta was. If you wanna go fight a war in Iraq (aka SUICIDE MISSION) go right ahead, but don't force us intelligent, humanitarian people to go and fight for an unjust, immoral, etc cause.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I can't believe that there are so many people on this forum that are willing to give up their personal freedom for the ambigious goal of pre-emptively keeping the States safe.

Don't you realize the more you run around the globe, invading other countires the more you'll simply be pissing everyone off, thus making the situation far more dangerous for yourselves?

Ask yourself why nobody bothers Sweden, or Canada, or New Zealand? Those countires simply mind their own business and keep their noses out of foreign entanglements.

Live and let live gentlemen, it the best and most effective defense you have against terrorism.

And don't give me this crap about liberating the people. There are many horrible regimes that have operated for quite awhile without a peep of moral outrage from the West. Do you seriously think all this time, effort and money is being spent simply for the public good of non-constituents? Infantile thinking.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ninjorp
Don't you realize the more you run around the globe, invading other countires the more you'll simply be pissing everyone off, thus making the situation far more dangerous for yourselves?

That sounds like you should be more angry with the policy-makers, and not the soldiers. The soldiers, if it were up to us, would stay home and train in order to be ready for whatever could happen. The policy makers, and the President, decide such things as 'running around the world invading other countries'.

Ask yourself why nobody bothers Sweden, or Canada, or New Zealand? Those countires simply mind their own business and keep their noses out of foreign entanglements.

Sorry, my friend, but since WWI, that option has been closed to the United States. As a matter of fact, that option was closed since the American Revolution, we just made peace with Britain, that's all.

Live and let live gentlemen, it the best and most effective defense you have against terrorism.

That sounds good, but our problem begins with our habits-- the economics of it all drags us knee-deep into overseas strife. Our exports are horribly lacking in comparison to our imports, thus we are in debt to countries like Japan and many others. Here, take a look at this:

Taken from here

And don't give me this crap about liberating the people. There are many horrible regimes that have operated for quite awhile without a peep of moral outrage from the West. Do you seriously think all this time, effort and money is being spent simply for the public good of non-constituents? Infantile thinking.

haha, trust me, I wont (give you crap about liberating the people). And yes, I've said that before, about the other existing horrible regimes that operate in the world. It should be obvious that the only difference between Iraq and the other regimes is the OIL, and that's it, and that's all.

[Edited on 2004428 by Cappa]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Is the option closed to the States to keep their noses out of other people's business?

Mad at the grunts? They are the ones blindly offering their fealty to people whose integrity is beyond their means to verify.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Ninjorp]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Is the option closed to the States to keep their noses out of other people's business?

Mad at the grunts? They are the ones blindly offering their fealty to people whose integrity is beyond their means to verify.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Ninjorp]

What is your point?
YES the option is closed to the states to keep our noses out of other people's business. That's what I just finished explaining to you. If America was to try to shut down its borders, we would have many more problems-- firstly with our own people, urest from people not being able to get the imported wines and products they want, and secondly with the other countries that we owe so much money to that its ridiculous (hence the graph). We would seriously have the EU (European Union, in case you didn't know) influencing countries into trying to approach us.

"America is on the offensive, and we must stay on the offensive." -George W. Bush
He said this because, if we end up playing defensively, we might just find terrorists and other countries on our borders-- then we have REAL problems.

If you're not going to understand what I'm telling you, please don't respond, especially when you're repeating yourself. I don't think you're going to get it until you see a tank rolling down your street.

Sorry if I offended you, but... well, nothing.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Well, there is big difference between TRADING with other countires and BOMBING other countires. Perhaps you were confused by the term I used - business. Ok, I'll make it a little more clear.

STOP BOMBING OTHER COUNTRIES!

Crystal?

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Bombing what countries? you make it sound like we drop bombs on every country on earth. In the last 10 years we have dropped bombs on three countries first in Iraq, and that was with the support of many countries some of which helped, then in Yugoslavia because the international community asked us to in order to stop the ethnic cleasing in Bosnia, and later Kosovo. And Afganistan which most every country supported as well. And finaly again on Iraq.

Thats 3 countries!!!, all of whom where hostile both to us, and human rights in general. Doesn't sound like the mindless bombing you accuse the U.S of performing on all those poor countries.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Yes it is. The rest of the world keeps asking us for money to help them out.

If it isn't money, then it is preferred trade status.

If it isn't that it is something else.

If you want the US out of your way, then just stop accepting or asking for our help.

Doubt many people in the US would bitch if we suddenly shut off foregin aid.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
In the last ten yers..

The cruise missle hitting the asprin factory in Sudan? Remember?

The bombing the of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade..Ooops? The maps were old. Never mind the Embassy was a PARK a few years before.

Iraq has been routinely bombed for the last ten yers.

The weapons you give to Isreal who does quite a bit of bombing with them. Lebannon, Palestine etc.

The Invasion of Haiti? 1994 - 1995?

Somalia 1992-1994?

Panama - 1989?

Libya, April 1986?

Grenada - 1983

Should we go back a bit in history?

Laos? That country has the distinction of being the most bombed country in history, thanks again to the US. They are STILL people being killed by mines. Cambodia, same thing. God, it goes on and on and on and on.

dz

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

dz
Your actions are selfish. You want the benefits that the country has to offer, that many before you have fought for and died to preserve, but you do not want to pay your dues because you're looking forward to a good job in a sunny state with your girlfriend. So you're perfectly OK with letting others defend your lifestyle; what does it matter to you? The CO status is there to be abused by people like you. You want to know how mean the military is allowed to be to you.

I'm sure there is a word that describes that kind of person.

It's selfish for me to want to live? Yeah, I'm a terrible person for choosing my life over death.

Judging by what you're saying, anyone that doesn't want to serve in the military is a selfish, stupid person that should leave the country because they don't amount to anything.

So what would you say about Walt Disney? He also protested being drafted because he hated the idea of war and did not want to fight. Or how about Albert Einstein, who also hated war? But they're idiots anyways, right? They never did anything to help humanity...

As far as the benefits, I pay for those. I pay my taxes. I do jury duty. I just don't want to die. Isn't the American Dream to be successful and raise a family? Since when is it selfish to want that?

If you don't value your life, that's your problem.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yet another good comeback dz ... I think 'becky' should just keep his/her mouth shut. 'becky', if you wan't to get yourself killed, go ahead. Hell, since you seem to want to force your opinion on all of us moral minded people, why not bitch at your freinds to join you in your immature, overly patriotic, typically American cause. After all, they are right at your itchy fingertips.

Originally posted by Cappa
... If you're not going to understand what I'm telling you, please don't respond, especially when you're repeating yourself. I don't think you're going to get it until you see a tank rolling down your street. ...

Tank rolling down my street? HAHA! Are you serious? If you are (God help you), do you mean an American tank or an enemy tank?

dz

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I dont want it to seem that I'm not grateful for all the people in the armed forces. I truly am. It's just not the life for me. They have chosen that life for themselves, and that's fine.

My life, I feel, is better served here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join