It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Olivet Prophecy mirror the 7 Seals of revelation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I just wanted to start a post on bible prophecy and bring to light some of the events mentioned in Revelation. Most christians don't realize the events of the 7 seals in Revelation are parallels or mirrors of the famous Olivet Prophecy Jesus Christ gave on the Mount of Olives shortly before His crucifixion. Let's examine the parallels....

Upon opening the seals, Jesus reveals Himself to be the only one worthy of opening the seals.

Seal 1 (the white horseman)
Rev. 6:1-2
Now I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals; and I heard one of the four living creatures saying with a voice like thunder, "Come and see,"
And I looked, and behold, a white horse. He who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer.

Olivet Prophecy Parallel
Matthew 24:4-5
And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceive you.
For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.

Seal one and Olivet account one talk about a false messiah or false religion.

Seal 2 (the red horseman)
Rev. 6:3-4
When He opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature saying, "Come and see."
Another horse, fiery red, went out. And it was granted to the one who sat on it to take peace from the earth, and that people should kill one another; and there was given to him a great sword.

Olivet Prophecy Parallel
Matthew 24:6-7
"And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom......"

Seal two and Olivet account two speak of widespread war and destruction from it.

Seals 3 & 4 (black and pale horsemen)
Rev. 6:5-8
When He opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come and see." So I looked, and behold, a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand.
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, "A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and do not harm the oil and the wine."
When He opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, "Come and see."
So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.

Olivet Prophecy Parallel
Matthew 24:7-8
"....And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places.
All these are the beginning of sorrows."

Seals 3 and 4 represent famine and pestilence represented in the Olivet account in Matthew 24:7.

So far, the story flow between the two accounts are extremely consistent. The final three seals may have us jumping the Olivet account somewhat only due to the insets in Revelation that somewhat break the timeline to help explain the story more in depth.

Seal 5 (Martyrdom)
Rev. 6:9-11
When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held.
And they cried with a loud voice, saying, "How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?
Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed.

Olivet Prophecy Parallel
Matthew 24:9-14
"Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.
And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.
Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Both accounts talk about the future martyrdom of the end-time saints though the revelation account shows the awaiting of these saints to fall while Matthew describes the actual martyrdom for the name of Christ.

Seal 6 (Signs in the sky)
Rev. 6:12-17
I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood.
And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind.
Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of it's place.
And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains,
and said to the mountains and rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!
For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?

Olivet Prophecy Parallel
Matthew 24:29-31
"Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

These parallels speak of all the signs of heaven that would take place. Though Matthew's account is based more on the resurrection of the saints and end of the tribulation, the basis is that the sky would be doing all sorts of crazy stuff.

Well, that's it for now. Just wanted to share the prophecy parallels with you all. What do you think? I'll post about seal number 7 later.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Question: "What is the Olivet Discourse?"

Answer: The Olivet Discourse is the name given to the orderly and extended teaching given by Christ on the Mount of Olives. This discourse is recorded in Matthew 24:1 - 25:46. Parallel passages are found in Mark 13:1-37 and Luke 21:5-36.

Though the discourse itself begins at Matthew 24:3, Mark 13:3 and Luke 21:7, Christ's discourse is in response to questions from the disciples, questions based on what Jesus told them in Matthew 24:1-2, Mark 13:1-2, and Luke 21:5-6. The record in Matthew is most extensive, so reference here will be to Matthew's Gospel.

Before discussing the teaching found in this discourse, it is important to recognize that the interpretation of this discourse must be with reference to Israel and not the Church. Christ was speaking of God's program concerning Israel, and the content of this discourse in large part has direct reference to Daniel 9:24-27, as well as Revelation 6:1 - 19:21, passages that refer to the future 7-year period called the tribulation. The completion of God's program for the Church is the rapture, which is not found in the Olivet Discourse, but instead is found in John 14:1-4; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52; and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

In Matthew 23, Jesus spoke to the Pharisees concerning judgment. This can be seen in the "woe" statements in that chapter. In chapter 24:1-2, Jesus is leaving the temple when the disciples ask Him about the temple buildings, seemingly so that Jesus could explain how the judgment of which He spoke related to the temple. Herod, who built the temple buildings that existed during the time of Christ's earthly ministry, built them to last. They were of limestone and would have lasted for thousands of years had the temple not been destroyed by the Romans in A.D. 70. In Matthew 24:2, Jesus tells the disciples that not one stone of the temple would be left on top of another. This sets the stage for the Olivet Discourse.

Beginning in Matthew 24:3, we find Jesus and the disciples on the Mount of Olives. The disciples ask Jesus, "Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" When the disciples asked, "When will these things be?" it was with reference to the destruction of the temple. The destruction of the temple occurred in A.D. 70 when Rome, led by Titus, destroyed Jerusalem. The temple was burned. The things made of gold that resided in the temple melted as the temple burned and the gold ran down into the cracks between the stones. Every stone was toppled from its place as people searched for the gold. The destruction of Jerusalem is referenced in Matthew 24:15-22 and more clearly spoken of in Luke 21:20-24 as Christ taught that those in Jerusalem should flee for their lives. This first destruction of Jerusalem is a foreshadowing of what is in store for Jerusalem. It also should be noted that there will be a double fulfillment of the destruction of Jerusalem. While Titus did destroy the city in A.D. 70, he did not fulfill all that Christ spoke in the Olivet Discourse concerning the destruction of Jerusalem. It will be fulfilled in its entirety when the Beast or Antichrist first takes authority and sets up an image of himself in the future temple that will be in Jerusalem (Daniel 9:27; Matthew 24:15; 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4; Revelation 13:1-18). He will rule from Jerusalem for 42 months (3 1/2 years), which is the last half of the tribulation.

The content of what Jesus taught in Matthew 24-25 primarily refers to the future tribulation period and the second coming of Christ at the end of the tribulation. In Matthew 24:4-26, Christ is answering the disciples' question, "what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" As stated earlier, the tribulation is a future 7-year period. During this time, God will complete His punishment of Israel and will judge the world (Daniel 9:24-27; Revelation 6–19).

The teaching in Matthew 24:4-8 refers to the first half of the tribulation. Daniel 9:27 indicates that the tribulation will be divided into two equal parts. The birth pangs refer to the sufferings that Israel will experience during the first 3 1/2 years. The signs with reference to Christ's return and the end of the age are 1) false messiahs (v.5); 2) reports of wars (v.6-7); and 3) natural catastrophes (v.7). A parallel passage to this is Revelation 6 where the Apostle John writes of the seal judgments. Revelation 6:2 speaks of a rider on a white horse, which could refer to a false messiah. Revelation 6:4 says that peace is taken from the earth (war). Revelation 6:6-8 speaks of famine and death. These are only the "beginning of birth pangs" (Matthew 24:8). With reference to Revelation, the last half of the tribulation does not seem to begin until Revelation 13 when the Beast sets up his rule for 42 months, the last half of the tribulation (Daniel 9:27; Matthew 24:15). There is a reference to 1,260 days (42 months or 3 1/2 years) in 11:3 and 12:6, which could also refer to the beginning of the last half of the tribulation. Therefore, at least Revelation 6-10 can be considered the first half of the tribulation.

The teaching in Matthew 24:9-14 refers to the signs of the second half of the tribulation. The persecution and death (v.9) will be the result of the Beast's rise to power and the persecution of those that refuse to follow him (Revelation 13:1-18). Though there will be many false prophets (Matthew 24:11), Revelation 13:11-18 presents the ultimate false prophet, the one who will demand the worship of the Beast. The salvation promised in Matthew 24:13 is salvation or deliverance from the persecution of the Beast. The one who endures until Christ returns will be saved from the Beast. The preaching of the gospel of the kingdom refers to the good news (gospel) that Christ will soon return in judgment, and then setup His earthly kingdom (Revelation 20:4-6). This will help people to realize their sinful state and receive the Savior during the tribulation.

The teaching in Matthew 24:15-26 gives further details concerning the tribulation. Matthew 24:15 refers specifically to the Beast who will establish his power during the last half of the tribulation (Daniel 9:27; Revelation 13:1-18) and to the persecution of those who refuse to worship him and take his number (666), the mark of the beast. In verses 16-20, Christ instructs that those in Jerusalem should flee for their lives when they see that Beast has taken his seat of authority. Verses 21-22 tell us that there never has been nor shall be again a time like this on the earth and that if those days were not cut short (ended) by the return of Christ, every person would be destroyed. Verses 23-26 tell us of the prominence of false christs and false prophets in those days and how those on earth at that time can identify and avoid them.

The teaching in Matthew 24:27-31 addresses the second coming of Christ. His second coming will be 1) openly done, perhaps even seen by all (v.27); 2) announced by the sun, moon and stars (v.29); and 3) followed by the gathering of the elect from all over the earth (v.31).

What follows Matthew 24:31 are illustrations, some in the form of parables. Matthew 24:32 is the parable of the fig tree. Jesus says that by the signs already given you can recognize His coming is soon, just like you can recognize the nearing of summer. Matthew 24:36-41 is the illustration of the days of Noah. It should be noted that verses 40-41 do not refer to the rapture but rather to the people who are taken in judgment during the tribulation. Matthew 24:42-44 is the parable of the faithful householder, and 24:45-51 is the parable of the wise servant. All of these are given that those who are living during that time can recognize the time in which they are alive and be prepared for Christ's return.

Matthew 25:1-13 is the parable of the ten virgins, and 25:14-30 is the parable of the talents. These are given specifically as a warning to Israel that they may be prepared for Christ's return. The last section is that of Matthew 25:31-46. This concerns the judgment of the Gentiles after Christ's return. The Lord will separate the Gentiles as a shepherd separates sheep and goats. They will be separated based on how they treated Israel, "these brothers of mine." Those individuals who did not treat Israel well during the tribulation (which marks them as unbelievers) will go to eternal punishment. Those who did treat Israel well (indicating belief in Christ) will inherit eternal life and be allowed to go into the millennial kingdom (Revelation 20:4-6).

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

I was searching aroound and found this lil tidbit.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
A very timely topic. Many people do not realize that the Luke and Mathew are NOT the same address. They are told in a different place with a different emphasis. Matthews id for Jews and Luke's for Gentiles.

Notice that in Luke it is at the temple not Olivet

And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones
and gifts, he said, As for these things which ye behold, the days will come,
in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not
be thrown down

Luke’s “Olivet Discourse” didn’t occur on the Mt. of Olives: these are summaries of teachings in the Temple over several days!!

[Contrast Mark’s (Peter’s) rendering which was confined to four disciple insiders.]

Different Emphasis?
• “But before all these…” Luke 21:12
• “All these are the beginning of sorrows.”
• “Then shall they…” Mt 24:8,9

Careful study will reveal that the instructions for Jews in Matthew include more about the tribulation.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dthwraith

I see you completely threw in your rapture doctrine and completely let it read to follow your doctrine. In the Olivet discourse, Jesus said to His disciples that they will be delivered up to tribulation. He wasn't talking about the Jews but His followers that would be persecuted and delivered into tribulation. Don't be so quick to trust your rapture theory.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Locoman8

I see you completely threw in your rapture doctrine and completely let it read to follow your doctrine. In the Olivet discourse, Jesus said to His disciples that they will be delivered up to tribulation. He wasn't talking about the Jews but His followers that would be persecuted and delivered into tribulation. Don't be so quick to trust your rapture theory.

Was just a copy and paste nothing more, I didn't add to it or take away from it.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I know, but it was a pointless thing to add to this thread. Nothing in the Olivet Prophecy mentioning a rapture, just a collecting of God's elect.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

Very kewl discovery. I never saw it that way, but you are absolutely correct, the two texts paralel eachother perfectly. Thums up.

[edit on 24/5/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I wonder how this might tie in to 2012. When Christ says the sun will turn black and the moon turn red I can not help but think this might have something to do with the Mayan prophecy.

Today in church, were the readings describing the Ascension of Christ, when He rose up in to heaven body and soul 40 days after His Resurrection. And it clearly stated He will return the same way he ascended up.

The prophesy of St. Malachy says that this Pope, Glory of the Olives, Bennedict VIX, is the last real (good) pope until Peter Romano who will be an anti pope...so 2012 seems to fit that prophesy too. Benedict is very elderly.

So - this is a time line I am thinking about:
Pope Benedict passes away
"Pope Peter Romano" gets elected
Due to economic colapse and war famine sweeps the globe
False Pope Peter and barack obama work with TPTB to establish one world gov and currency,
2012 eclipse of the milky way cause a polar shift which will result in earthquakes, atmospheric rips, etc.

Christ comes again

Doesn't seem like enough time for all that to happen before Dec. 2012.

[edit on 5/24/2009 by Missing Blue Sky]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
I wonder how this might tie in to 2012. When Christ says the sun will turn black and the moon turn red I can not help but think this might have something to do with the Mayan prophecy.

Believe it or not, but that happens somewhere each year. It's called an ecclipse. Normally there are several solar and lunar ecclipses somewhere in the world each year. in 2009 there are infact two solar ecclipses and four lunar ecclipses.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

The 2012 prophecy may come into play as the start of tribulation. Earthquakes, evil popes and one world government sound very likely in 2012. False religion in the form of catholicism will reign supreme as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Locoman8

Yet it didn't happen in 2012... Stupid Mayans (not really).... Lol

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Jesus also said the dead will rise from their tombs...who knew ...the resurrection of this thread was prophesied!

new topics

top topics

join