It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cathedral plays Lennon's Imagine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The news:

The bells of Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral are to ring out to John Lennon's anti-religious anthem Imagine.

snip

The song has drawn criticism from some religious figures as Lennon himself has called the anthem "anti-religious".

snip

The original idea to ring out Imagine came from artist Cleo Evans, who was commissioned by Futuresonic, a cultural festival, to develop the concept with the Anglican Cathedral.

She said: "Imagine is an incredibly gentle, philosophical and moving song which speaks strongly of the need for peace.

"It is an iconic song which will be performed in a thought-provoking and surprising setting."
Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono said the idea was "so beautiful, it made me choke up". bbc

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Though it pains me to agree with Yoko
I also think this is a great and beautiful idea. Plus I don't think it is contradictory as both faith and the lyrics to "Imagine" are about peace. I commend the Cathedral for being open minded enough to see that.

[edit on 9 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yes while Imagine is an anti religious song, it is more a pro peace song.

"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Maybe some day you can join us, and the world can live as one."

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Got to think though, if it wasn't a cathedral in liverpool but somewhere else, i don't think we would see or hear it happen. I think it's great

new topics

join