It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazeera Channel starts broadcasting in DC and other markets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The news:

Under an agreement with MHz Networks, a Falls Church-based educational broadcaster, AJE will become available today to households throughout the Washington area, and to cable and broadcast viewers in 20 other cities in a few months.

snip

MHz, a nonprofit organization, will add AJE to its lineup of 10 international channels carried on the digital tiers offered by Comcast (the area's largest cable provider, on Channel 271), Cox, RCN and Verizon Fios systems throughout the region. MHz will also offer it over the air July 1, after local stations have completed the transition to digital broadcasts.

MHz will also distribute about one hour of AJE's news on the MHz Worldview channel to public stations throughout Utah and in cities such as Chicago, San Francisco, Denver and Miami. In all, about 18 million households will be able to receive some or all of the network's programming, said Frederick Thomas, MHz's founder and chief executive. WP

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I know many will disagree, even some that have never watched Al Jazeera, but I believe anything that exposes different cultures to each other is beneficial in the long term. I am not sure that many will watch this channel, DC has a significant Middle Eastern population though I don't expect that they will be getting their news from the English version of Al Jazeera.

Still, I think people will have the opportunity to watch and make up their own minds about how the US and world events are portrayed in the Arab world.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Tbh, i'd rather watch al jazeera english version then watch fox news, al jazeera is quite intresting
we get it for free over here in newzealand(if you live in auckland) i usually watch al jezeera till 1am then bbc world starts

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by allsop

I don't really watch the news to get my news if you know what I mean.

It's more to analyze the different ways that each MSM news source interprets the news to suit their agenda.

Though BBC world news does seem to be more objective than most.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
For international news coverage, they are the top of the pile for my money, with BBC coming second, CNN a distant third.

Frankly, they're probably the most important news network in the world right now. They are everywhere. When the Gaza attack was ongoing, and CNN and the BBC reporters were in Israeli bunkers, they were IN Gaza. They have complete African coverage. Their reporters are all over Asia, from the Med to the Pacific. For the number of reporters they have, the BBC is the only other broadcaster they can compare to. On the international scene, they're talking about places and people that no one else bothers with (until those situations explode).

The American media (especially) likes to try to make people think that they're a part of the grand terrorist conspiracy or something. They've got a very definite hate on for AJ in the USA as a result.

Thing is, I've never met anyone who - when given the option, and had it explained to them that watching and reading AJ won't turn them into a muslim terrorist - didn't like it.

I think their availability in the US has the potential to force a lot of changes in the way the US media giants do business. Good luck to them.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

For international news coverage, they are the top of the pile for my money ... they're probably the most important news network in the world right now.

Couldn't agree more. While CNN and Sky rattle off the NWO party-line propagandist trash, even the BBC to some degree, AJ at least endeavours to tell the story intelligently and as non-partisan as possible.

In fact they just try and tell it as it is.

If you want to know the NEWS watch AJ and you'll get as close to the truth as it's possible to get from a mainstream news service.

That's my experience anyway.

AJ will be to Americans what Buddha was Indians -- enlightenment!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Same here man, but it's always good to know what's going on around the clock, stuff like announcements important ones that will effect me etc...

You should never rule out MSM over alternative, because a mix between both can be beneficial imo :|

most msm is crap, but parts of it is useful information!

new topics

top topics

join