It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New, Fast-Evolving Rabies Virus Found -- And Spreading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

New, Fast-Evolving Rabies Virus Found -- And Spreading

news.nationalgeographic.co.uk

Evolving faster than any other new rabies virus on record, a northern-Arizona rabies strain has mutated to become contagious among skunks and now foxes, experts believe.

The strain looks to be spreading fast, commanding attention from disease researchers across the United States

It's not so unusual for rabid animals to attack people on hiking trails and in driveways, or even in a bar—as happened March 27, when an addled bobcat chased pool players around the billiards table at the Chaparral in Cottonwood.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Ok, this caught my eye. Interesting in itself. Then I read on:

What is unusual is that the strain appears to have mutated so that foxes and skunks are now able to pass the virus on to their kin—not just through biting and scratching but through simple socializing, as humans might spread a flu.

O great, 'as humans might spread a flu'!

Is this National Geographic playing on our current flu hysteria or is there something in this?

news.nationalgeographic.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Probably not, it's most likely because the disease is spreading like "humans might spread a flu."

Just my theory.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

No what I mean is, imagine the implications if rabies can be spread from casual contact, before you had to get bitten by a rabid animal...but now?

It's conceivable that dogs and cats could get it more easily, then humans then.....da da da daaaa! Lol I'm worse than MSM! Maybe I should get an application form for ABC!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Fast acting, easily spreadable rabies?

Sounds a bit like the plot to a movie that hit theaters last year. I won't say which movie in case anyone wishes to see it.

This is far more serious than swine flu. Someone in decent to good health can overcome swine flu. Rabies on the other hand requires treatment very soon into the onset.

Give it a few weeks. We'll see what wild new diseases pop up in the media.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I just . . . "acquired" that movie. It was pretty decent, actually.

Not anything I would pay $20 for, though.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I see nothing that indicates this rabies is spreading from casual contact and I was just up in the central loc yesterday... Flagstaff, it's about 60 miles from my GTFO of dodge setup and I use Flag as base camp for all my excursions

There is a higher than normal incidence of location but it's not going to deter me from anything this summer, NAU has a setup for Anthrax, Rabies Melioidosis which actually IS part of a Bio weapons DEFENSE program they have a grant for...

One of the coolest little towns out there imho... between the scientist population, crunchy mountain people, students, it's kind of a nice oasis from imbeciles baking their heads in the sun too much else where in the State

Like I said... I'm outfitted have a full team at this point and in those woods weekly...

It's just Rabies, it happens... I can kick a Fox pretty hard and far in the kind of boots I wear...

Best advice I can give

Thank G-d there aren't flying squirrels in the area

and

Always carry a walking stick in the woods... most animals, particularly snakes will charge it instead of you...

and seriously, you'd really be surprised how far Raccoon can fly when hit with a 5 ft piece of Pine hardened like rock...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Rabies is not a death sentence.

Many years ago a person that was exposed to rabies had to endure several shots directly in the abdomen. It was very painful.

Thankfully, the treatment now is a series of injections into a muscle over a four week period.

Edit to add: Rabies has always been a social disease as well as being transmitted by a bite.

The mucous and saliva can cause infection through the eyes, nose and other mucus membranes.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by dizziedame]

[edit on 8-5-2009 by dizziedame]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

A Rabies that DID pass via contact, i.e you walk in the woods get dirt on yourself and contracted Rabies... that probably would be a death sentance because they can't cure it once symptoms emerge

Fictional at this time... lol hopefully, but still a scary thought

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This is crazy. This is contagious among skunks and now foxes!

I guess the scientists will be working overtime for this fall's new flu vaccine.

Will this be at risk for human infection? I cant see it working it's way up the food chain from a skunk to a fox and simply stop there.

What are the odds a fox will get near a skunk?

My dog needs a flu shot. I'll try it on him first.

After further analysis I wonder if it’s contagious to my rabbits and chickens? Pestilence is a nasty word lately.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Why do I have a funny feeling that life is slowly turning into every Steven King novel ever written?

In all fairness though if I have to go in an untimely way, I think I would prefer it to be in some rabid fashion!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Oh man I could not even imagine air born rabies . If that happened I think I would never leave. They thought I was exposed to rabies once as I do animal rescue and rescued and was bit my an animal that had the potential of it and I had to have all those shots. It was hell. Rabies scares the hell of me.

A couple weeks after I had that exposure my throat swelled up so bad and I could not swallow, and had to goto the hospital, turns out I got mono and it was just timing, but man talk about FEAR.

Ama

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Why do I have a funny feeling that life is slowly turning into every Steven King novel ever written?

In all fairness though if I have to go in an untimely way, I think I would prefer it to be in some rabid fashion!

It does sometimes feel that way, when you look at the MSM- BUt seriously? In a rabid fashion!??

I read it's a really painful way to go. If I had a choice, hm, blown up in a Space Craft rescuing the Earth from a deadly asteroid, but this time I'd take Liv Tyler WITH me lol!

new topics

top topics

join