It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider nearly repaired, about to go back online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Large Hadron Collider nearly repaired, about to go back online

www.geek.com

Repairs are nearing completion at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva, Switzerland. The last of its 53 damaged magnets are being put into position and tests will be able to begin in time for summer.

On September 10, 2008, the LHC was switched on and began a ramp toward full-power tests. However, a leak in the cooling system (liquid helium at just 1.9 Kelvin — which is colder than outer space’s 2.3 Kelvin temperature) in the magnet’s superconductors caused the magnetic field to fail, resulting in a beam of high-speed protons cutting through the walls of the device like a hot knif
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Let's get prepared for another torrent of doomsday predictions.
I don't personally believe that the LHC will create black holes capable of destroying the Earth, but I'm a cautious kind of bloke. I would be of the opinion it's better not to find out, just in case.

We'll have to wait and see!

www.geek.com

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
About time, i cant wait for this baby to get switched on and hopefully start producing some solid results. But yeah it will be sad to see the predictable strain of threads that will be created.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I too cannot wait for the results this baby puts out.

I hope it doesn't find the Higgs particle, but something else which will finally show that the reason all the theory's have flaws, we don't know nearly as much as we think we do!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yes of course it broke down, how convenient, wake up people we are about to experience a bumpy ride.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Can you imagine the "Brain Trust" that works on this thing?

Can't be very good conversation?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Just for "fun" how about combining this thread with the Humanity may be targeted by predatory Reptilian extraterrestrial species ATS Thread.
Now for those who viewed Stephen Kings "The Mist".... what might these Reptilian/Demons be up to if "they" are indeed here and "they" are in control.

We open the portal to "Hell" as described in detail in the Book of Revelation.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Wow, great news indeed, can't wait for the tests on gravitons to begin, also the tests aimed at proving parallel universes

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot

Let's get prepared for another torrent of doomsday predictions.
I don't personally believe that the LHC will create black holes capable of destroying the Earth, but I'm a cautious kind of bloke. I would be of the opinion it's better not to find out, just in case.

We'll have to wait and see!

www.geek.com

I agree, I dont think the LHC is going to destroy the earth and the number of scientists that do is very, very small. Most of the scientific community feels it is safe.

I would worry more about global chemical pollution and the irresponsible use of nuclear weapons as bigger threats to the world and its inhabitants.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Here's a great video explaining why it broke last year (sorry if it's been posted already):

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by KOGDOG

Just for "fun" how about combining this thread with the Humanity may be targeted by predatory Reptilian extraterrestrial species ATS Thread.
Now for those who viewed Stephen Kings "The Mist".... what might these Reptilian/Demons be up to if "they" are indeed here and "they" are in control.

*Screams and runs away*

No no just kidding! Bring it on, at least we can make the classic game DOOM come true to life with monstrous demons and zombies running ramshackle all over the planet

At least it'd spice up my dull life.

But seriously, if these protons were hot enough to cut through the walls of the device (when it was damaged during its test phase)... I suspect the results of these opposing protons colliding together is dangerous and perhaps is why it was built deep underground, to minimize any damage.

I wonder if there are webcams pointed at the test range, or any visuals of the colliding point. I like to see explosions.

Heck, it might even be the last explosion I'd see

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't see the fuss if this thing blasts us into oblivion or turns us into strange matter...

We'll just be dead. I am seeing no negative result from that. Not saying I would like to die, but I don't think I'll really be able to care.

So fire it up and find out. It's a win-win situation (presumably).

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I'm not a "physical scientist". Those who are "scientists" say these particles occur all the time and are and have been readily available and observable. The scary angle is that the "corporate/military thugs" who run this planet want to make more of this "god particle" for weapons research and of course to ultimately "capitalize" on this material when and if "it" can be mass produced and contained.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I wonder if we could point the Hubble and other instruments at the place in space where Earth will be when they intend to switch this puppy on. It is possible by doing so that we might observe some effects of having created mini black holes or other phenomena since all of this stuff can punch holes in space time...

I'm pretty sure a computer could predict where the Earth will be in a few weeks/months. Then we could maintain a constant watch to see if any time anomalies occur.

Better yet maybe we should start monitoring where Earth will be in 2012

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Xeven]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I wonder if that thing will produce any results at all or if it is just a cover for the HugeMagnet theory

Some said it is just that and will never generate results, they couldnt hide the structure when building it due to its size and placement..

One must wait and see !!!!

As you were !!!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Great news.

Can't wait to see if the Higgs Boson particle actually exists. That would be a truly awesome discovery. Thanks for posting this, S&F.

TA

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Whats the "Huge magnet theory"???

[edit on 5/9/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I hope by the use of the LHC they'll find a power source viable enough to send us further and faster in space. I think It's a good thing it'll be up and running soon.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Also I was under the impression that they already had turned it to full power and ran tests, am I mistaken? Sorry but I was "out of the loop" for about 8 months, so I don't know some of these things.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by KOGDOG

Haha just read your awsome idea. I dunno if you saw that Star Trek movie where they all go back in time to the day man first ran a spaceship with Warp, the Aliens detected it and came to say hell. I wonder if the same could be true. Wonder if the LHC will set off some warning light on a reptilians screen and we'll have em all down here.

"Another reason for it not to be turned on!", they Scream!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join