It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape Victim Billed For Evidence Costs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I am reminded of the saying "Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

If Women (and men) actually took personal responsibility for there safety and security, rapes would be a rare occurrence. People generally don't attack well armed people, who have a plan to defend themselves and live to victimize someone else.

Why should i (my tax money) pay for a rape kit for someone who put themselves in a position (by action or inaction) to be victimized. It shouldn't. That being said, we pay for ALL criminal investigations and as such, rape i would think must be included otherwise we are discriminating against rape victims.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
You know, I'm sure you ladies aren't going to like this, but this does not declare open season on raped women, cause men to kill babies, or whatnot.. while most can empathize with your plight, at the same time, you're getting ready to charge a person with rape, a rather serious crime. The cost of mounting evidence against them should be on you. sorry.

its teh same fo rguys. sorry, heres your equal rights. welcome to them.

The person who has been raped, is NOT the one filing the charges, the district attorney (I believe) would be the ones filing the charges. The police investigate the crime. I could be mistaken on that particular piece though. The point is, that they do not have to have the permission of the victim to file these charges.

And yes, this does declare open season on women, as many women who are raped, may not have the funds to pay for the police to do their job twice, once in taxes, and then for the rape kit. The job of the police at this time is to investigate the crime, the crime scene being the woman's body.

This means, many women who have been raped, and cannot afford to pay for a rape kit, will not do so, meaning no evidence found, so the rapist gets away to possibly commit another rape, as the police are not doing their job.

Rapist will realize this, they will realize that they basically have free range to do what they want.

Rape victims, in many many cases, are treated as if they are the criminal, unless they can "prove" otherwise. Sick if you ask me. When a victim of a crime has to prove their innocence, we have a problem.

Rapist, should spend LIFE in prison, we already know that a rapist, is basically a rapist for life, so why let them back onto the streets? We know that rape, is NOT about sex, that rape IS about control.

We have something called "the Just World Theory". Which states that the world is just and fair, and people get what they deserve. When bad things happen, such as rape, some people must find a way to justify it so it fits this theory. The following links help explain it.

Victim blaming

Blaming the victim hinders sexual assault awareness

Victim Blame

And yes guys, I understand that men can and have been raped, and I also agree that men who have been raped, should not have to pay for a rape kit either. THAT is equality. Equality is NOT forcing the victim to pay for the investigation. If the "state" cannot pay for these rape kits for some reason, then the rapist should pay for it.

Harm None
Peace

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicademus
I am reminded of the saying "Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

If Women (and men) actually took personal responsibility for there safety and security, rapes would be a rare occurrence. People generally don't attack well armed people, who have a plan to defend themselves and live to victimize someone else.

Why should i (my tax money) pay for a rape kit for someone who put themselves in a position (by action or inaction) to be victimized. It shouldn't. That being said, we pay for ALL criminal investigations and as such, rape i would think must be included otherwise we are discriminating against rape victims.

You live in a "it's a just world theory" and live in a world of victim blaming, follow my links in my previous posting, to understand. Living in that world helps you feel safer, as you can then feel "I can plan better so a crime will not be committed against me" i.e. you "feel" safer.

In confusion, I thought this was a site of "deny ignorance", though I still keep seeing people being ignorant.

So, if someone were to bash you over the head when you were walking down the street, that would be your fault right? Because you did not take precautions? Let's say, you have a helmet on, and carry a gun and a knife in sight, you have chosen to walk down the street in daylight with many other people around. Someone sneaks up behind you and bashes you over the head, causing internal bleeding. In your "just world theory" the crime would be your fault, instead of the fault of the perpetrator. Instead of realizing that the person who bashed you over the head, is the one in the wrong. They are the one who committed the crime, not you. So why blame yourself?

Hope you never have a crime committed against you or any of your loved ones, and if you do, you better not call the police, because you are at fault and not the one who chose to commit a crime against you. You should also, if you do choose to call the police, have to pay for the investigation.

What about child rapist? Is the child at fault? If not who is? Their parents? Or the rapist? Are we now going to blame the parents of children who are raped, instead of putting the blame where it belongs, on the perpetrator?

How far will we take this, will it go so far as the rapist being able to blame the victim and sue them for "not protecting themselves?" "Well judge, the victim did not protect themselves, so why am I at fault, they forced me to commit this crime by not planning better."

What about children who are kidnapped, are we going to blame the parents for not being everywhere all the time?

What about other crimes, such as robberies, or beatings, or shootings etc? Are those also crimes that are the victims fault? If you only blame those who have been raped for being raped, why would you also not blame the victim of any other type of crime?

Perhaps we should not have any laws, because truly, in your world view, any crime that is committed against someone, is the fault of the victim for not "planning better", and in your world view, the criminal would not have done a criminal act if the victim had "planned better". Or perhaps the laws should be "anyone who is a victim, will be charged with "not planning better", because if they had planned better they would not have had a crime committed against them. Instead of people understanding that the criminal is the one who made the choice to harm another person.

in regards to your posting that victims are at fault for "not planning better".

HARM NONE, no matter how much I want to bash someone over the head
Peace

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

They must plan better? I can't believe there are posts that support the victims getting billed. What the hell is wrong with some of you people?! I notice more and more people are becoming more unsympathetic and self centered. It's not your problem if it doesn't effect you but when it does, I bet things do change. You're throwing that "My tax dollars...." argument into this. That's just great. Posts like this, show that compassion is something that is dying in our society. Apathy is death.

Forget that some poor woman had gotten attacked and violated, but it's her fault because she didn't prepare herself better and that your tax dollars are not going to help catch the person who did it. Protecting the rapist is in my book being an accessory to the crime, and this post tells me you are protecting the rapist, not the victim who will be scarred by what she went through for the rest of her life. But I guess you have to worry about your tax dollars. Nevermind that it's being used to help catch a real criminal here, in fact one of the lowest forms of humans that even murderers look down at, but you must worry about your tax dollars. Do you even know where your tax dollars truely are going?

Doubtful, but I guess you can sleep all cozy in your little bubble. So how is an 95lbs woman supposed to fight off a 250lbs man trying to rape her? Is it her fault she was unsucessful in stopping him? You say it is, and I guess the rapist deserved his prize fair and square right? How is an 5 year old (girl or boy) supposed to fight off a grown man? We'll their parents should have armed them and taught them krav maga cause then they could have prevented it. Again, rapist deserve his prize fair and square right? How about the ones who prey on the elderly? I guess they should have taken better care of themselves and should be able to prevent this. But hey as long as your tax dollars are going into something that is wasteful and as long as it's not being geared to help someone, I guess it's all good for you right?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicademus

Though the previous two posters did such a masterful job of stating the obvious about your viewpoint, I had to add my two cents.

Then you would prefer to see the world as an armed camp? Women often are attacked in their homes...so they should be strapped while watching television or keep their 38 under the pillow??? You can't be serious?????

I just wonder what sort of view you have of the world that you could honestly say that any victim of any crime is responsible. Yes, people do dumb stuff like flash large amounts of cash in bad neighborhoods, etc I grant you that. Yet the whole thought is simply re-victimizing the victim. Sad, so sad

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Wow, this country is getting more and more ridiculous. I can't believe officials are actually doing this. So much for "helping the people" They might as well charge us for taking a big crap too.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Weird to see everyone talking about women getting raped.

Men get raped to, primarily in prison, but it happens.

Even young boys who ''just wanted to attend church mass".

Or in a poligamy sect, etc etc etc.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Im on the fence about this. Seeing how Ive had two girls say I raped them when I was a kid. Now when people tell me they were raped I dont even believe them. I think this might discourage people reporting false rapes. But the police should be telling them they must pay for it so it would discourage the report of a false rape. I cant ever look at the accusation of rape the same way again, not when someone made it against me just so they wouldnt get in trouble with their parents for having company when they were not supposed to.

Seriously if you were raped, you have an unpaid bill so what? They cant garnish your wages in Texas and you can change your phone number. End of story, this is pretty petty. You wouldnt be crying all over the news like this, youd be happy your attacker was put in jail. This girl is not a survivor shes a rape victim.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This is just disgusting. It should not be happening. Essentially they are expected to pay cash for their own rape?!?

Who in there right mind would find that at all acceptable? That is nothing more than adding insult to injury and this kind of thing should not be allowed to happen.

I am so dissapointed that this was allowed to happen. I am glad that the hospital finally got rid of her bill but I am disgusted that it took media exposure for that to happen. They did not care about this victim they only cared about preventing negative publicity. Gross, cruel and wrong.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You guys obviously live in a fantasy world where the police are there when needed and no one ever hurts anyone else. As a white kid growing up in an all black neighborhood i learned first hand the value of things like, Always being aware of my surrounding. Being careful of who i hung out with, where i went at certain times of the day etc. A lot of crime could be prevented with a little fore-thought and planning. Can you prevent all crime? No, you cant.

To answer how a 95 pound girl can fight off a 300 pound rapist.
She beats him with her brain, and/or a gun. A 95lb girl has more reason than most to plan for her personal protection. I. E. , don't go walking around at night unarmed. Don't go get wasted at a bar alone. Don't go to a party alone. The list goes on and on. As far as your kids go. I don't let my kids go with adults unsupervised. My kid don't go outside unsupervised. My kids are as safe as i can possibly make them. I mean this basic stuff people. I hate people that think the "State" should take care of them from cradle to grave. It's your responsibility for your safety. Nobody else. That was my point. If you are the victim a crime, you may not like but you hold some responsibility. There is always something you could have done to prevent or mitigate crimes. Living in a Fantasy world does not protect you.

Did you guys even read the part where i said, since the "state", does pay for other investigations rape should be no different. So I will say it again real big so maybe you can understand. THE STATE SHOULD PAY FOR RAPE KITS. We pay for other criminal investigations, rape should be NO DIFFERENT.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicademus

Good for you, you grew up in a bad neighborhood,so did I and so do millions of people, so what, you want a medal for that? Yes a 95lbs woman can fight off a 300lbs man,it's a small chance, but not likely. Besides, rapists strike when least expected. It doesn't necessarily happen in the worsts parts of the world, it always happens in where one wouldn't expect. Could be a class room, could be at work, could be in the bedroom while asleep, could be anywhere. Plus they also go only the very ambitious would go after a man or woman that could actually fight them off, they often go after someone they know they can overpower. Who said anything about police protecting anyone? This isn't even what is being discussed. It's about rape victims (girl, woman, boy, girl, any age) having to pay for a rape kit that they shouldn't have too. What is it that you don't understand? You are the one who is living in a fantasy world. You can plan to avoid and prevent any kind of situation, and in fantasyland it might work, but that is just not possible. I'm not saying the victims shouldn't try to fight them off and most of them do, but not all can get away!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

To answer how a 95 pound girl can fight off a 300 pound rapist.
She beats him with her brain, and/or a gun.

And what if she happens to live someplace like Chicago where it against the law to carry or own a handgun ?

A 95lb girl has more reason than most to plan for her personal protection. I. E. , don't go walking around at night unarmed. Don't go get wasted at a bar alone. Don't go to a party alone. The list goes on and on.

I guess all these women did something wrong too huh ???

An 89 year old blind woman sleeping in her own bed, in her own home ?

cbs2.com...

An 89 year old woman in her own bed, in her own home ?

www.wtsp.com...

A woman at home with five other people ?

prairiechicken.blogspot.com...

A woman riding the el train at 1:30 in the afternoon ?

www.highbeam.com...

A woman waiting for the el train to take her to work ?

www.highbeam.com...

A woman opening her door to receive a flower delivery ?

www.ktla.com...

The list goes on and on and on.

If you are the victim a crime, you may not like but you hold some responsibility.

What responsibility does an 89 year old woman asleep in her own bed hold ?

There is always something you could have done to prevent or mitigate crimes.

How do you prevent someone from breaking into your house and raping you when you're asleep in your bed ?

Did you guys even read the part where i said, since the "state", does pay for other investigations rape should be no different. So I will say it again real big so maybe you can understand. THE STATE SHOULD PAY FOR RAPE KITS. We pay for other criminal investigations, rape should be NO DIFFERENT.

Yes i read it the first time you said it, but it doesn't negate what you said before it. Just as when you say it this time it doesn't negate what you said before it.

You are a big part of the problem, with your attitude concerning rape. You make excuses for rapists, and turn the crime around on the victim by saying the victim did something wrong.

Women have a right to walk down the street, sleep in their own bed, ride a train, etc, without being violently attacked and raped

Until people like you stop making excuses for rapists by saying the woman did or didn't do something wrong or right the problem of rape will never be solved

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
the first line in the informal law books reads

Always Blame the Victim First

there's another, though hidden somewhere, it reads

Once a Victim Always a Victim

on a sidenote: that's Buddhistic in a perverted way (karma), everything that happens to you is your own fault and piling a bit on top of it can only enhance justice. i hope you know that the only way to 'cure' this kind of worldview is making something happen to them... publically so it can't be denied.

[edit on 2009.5.10 by Long Lance]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
In the first place, how much is a typical billing? Is it a "reasonable" amount that discourages people from making false rape claims?

It always important to play safe and be vigilant. Always remember that you will attract people of the same vibration as you

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
I agree - it's an outrage. A lot of people were appalled when they learned that Sarah Palin instituted this policy in Wasilla. She was the one made this change and removed the funding for rape kits. Rape victims in Wasilla had to pay for their own rape kits after that.

I completely agree that this seems highly discriminatory against women. Were I a rape victim and asked to pay for the kit I would absolutely raise hell. What happens to victims who have no money at the time?

You need to check your facts Democrat Tony Knowles was the slime who passed the law, Palin defeated him in the next election and it was her administration that overturned the law.read this.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
This is the same in Washington state.

Victims pay for their own rape kits.

Next they will be telling victims to have the baby.

If rape is a crime against the state, the state should pay the bill. So typical though, revictimized the victim.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Of what positions do you speak? A woman asleep in her home, attacked by an intruder armed and dangerous who wants to rape her, or the 80 year old disabled woman who can't walk, but while he is steeling her money he decides to rape her too? Which one? Please help me out here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join