It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anomaly Found in Google Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'd like to start off by saying that it's been quite some time since I've visited ATS and I hope I'm following the new guidelines.

Yesterday I was surfing on Google Sky and found a caption saying a tiny galaxy was forming.This caught my interest so I went in for a closer look.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw a tiny,thin thread like object.I zoomed in thinking it might be a flaw in the imaging.I'm not an expert but it looks real to me.
I brought this to ATS to see if someone can confirm if it's real or offer an explanation as to why it isn't.
I've never seen anything like it and given the quality of Google Sky images at close proximity,I'm not sure what it is. It has an odd shape so I don't know if it's a collection of other matter or one object.
The coordinates are in the photo if others want to search through other means.

I did look around on ATS and didn't see this posted anywhere.
Edit: It's the long object approximately almost centered in the photo.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by citizen truth]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm so happy to click on one of these and not see the blue reflection from inside the telescope that gets posted every week!

This is a good one!

I can't figure out what it is, only that it must be close or it's HUGE!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Yeah, I was expecting that as well...

So we see a squiggly thing (is that it)?
Maybe just corrupt data... Dunno.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Depending on how long the google sky telescope was focused on that part of the sky, it could be the "light track" of a bright moving object. Kind of odd though because normally would just be a straight line.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen truth

...looks like a hair on the lens?
lol

i dunno though, let someone work with it in PhotoShop and see what they can come up with...

EDIT: i worked with it some in PhotoShop, but i couldn't come up with anything out of the ordinary...

yep, it's a squiggly

[edit on 8-5-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thanks.I was careful to make sure I wasn't seeing glare or reflection from the camera/telescope.
I zoomed in as close as possible and the pixels didn't look different from the surrounding ones.
I also thought of tracing but the pattern isn't consistent with a celestial body.
If this is a legitimate object,I agree that it must be huge.

The object in question is the squiggly thing.I had to zoom in a lot and that's what you see.I was focusing on the galaxy and the object was barely noticeable.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The deep space images on Google Sky come from the The STScI Digitized Sky Survey. They are scanned from photographic prints from the Palomar Sky Survey.

This appears to be a scanning flaw. It shows in the scan from the original POSS2/UKSTU Red plate here:
Link

But not in the POSS2/UKSTU Blue plate here (or any of the other scans):

[edit on 5/8/2009 by Phage]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks.I'm not sure what the difference is between the red and blue plates unless it's used for the imaging.Layering the colours?
Forgive my ignorance,I'm just not experienced in this field.

I knew someone would quickly have the answer.

new topics

top topics

join