It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving on wild food - Vegetarians!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

If we had to survive over long term such as I am expecting with Sit-WW3, which could mean up to 5 years of survival, it sounds like it is impossible to do it while foraging and in those cirumstances eating animals would be also dangerous(radiocativity, disease) It seems very bleak.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

Why not practice living off sunlight?

Michael Werner

Extraordinarily, the 58-year-old doctor of chemistry and father of three from Brunswick, northern Germany, claims he gets all the sustenance he needs from the sun. Oh, and the occasional coffee, fruit juice or a glass of wine if he and Angelica are enjoying a night out.

"I call it light nutrition," he explains. "But one can also talk of ethereal, Prana, Chi or cosmic energy ... it's all the same thing."

It's also known as Breatharianism, or the belief that the elements contained in air - nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen and hydrogen - can sustain a body.

So far, so daft. But Dr Werner isn't your average nutter. He's a bright, well spoken scientist who was so surprised at the consequences of his bizarre diet - just four coffees and two fruit juices every day for six-and-a-half years, plus that occasional glass of wine - that he's written a book about it called Life From Light.

This guy is pretty credible even if his story is incredible. Ya never know.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Malcram]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
If you're in a tropical region, you'll have a better chance of surviving while being a vegetarian only.

Learn your tropical root crops such as cassava, taro, eddo, bonaito, sweet potato and yams. Recognize the plant on sight and cultivate some in your own yard if you can... (container gardening works for some but your roots will be small, so the bigger the container, the better).

Learn your edible fruits, and no not the stuff found on supermarket shelves...Things like paw paw, sugar apple, cherimoya, stirapple, carambola, guinep, suriname and barbados cherries, guavas, plantains, bananas, and of course the important and vital coconut.

There's also bittermelon or carilla as we call it that grows wildly from bird droppings as a vine and chayote, ackee, breadfruit..I can go on and on.. There's so many different edibles in the tropical regions that I think those who survive a sitx there will definitely survive and may be "forced to become vegetarians" instead of the other way around.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I always shake my head in wonder and chuckle at all the people who think they are going to "head for the hills and live off the land". These are people who have obviously never been to the hills or seen just how little the land has to offer unless you plant stuff.

Forests especially have trees and mushrooms and that's about it. Edges of forests have a little more to offer but people who expect to hide in the woods and eat well are deluded.

Most wild edibles grow in fields, meadows, pastures, ie: open places. Every region has its edible fare, even deserts but some places have pretty slim pickings.

Glad to see someone else has actually tested this theory. I've lived out in the wilderness for entire seasons even hunting and eating meat and you definitely don't have to worry about getting fat out there.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

I will make this simple. You cannot survive off sunlight. End of. No way no how it can't be done. Try and do that and all that will happen is that someone like me who intends on surviving will find a sunburned and starved corpse.

-Cauch1

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

There are countless stories of Yogis and monks who have survived without eating. Your body just needs energy to run, it does not matter where it comes from: food and drink, breathing, sun, meditation. Of course the highest quality of energy comes from prana-rich sources like suns rays, oxygen, fruit and veg.

If you meditate more and more you will begin to channel a lot more cosmic energy. This is vital-stuff. You could reach a point where you don't need any more food or even breath(Yogis can even stop breathing) but you do need to be very adept in meditation to reach that point.

I would not recommend anybody stops eating until they are adept at meditation and breath-control. In a survival situation do a lot of deep rhythmic breathing and take in a lot of sun ligh.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yeah, I have little problem conceiving that this could well be possible. There is a lot more I would say about this, but seeing as the subject of vegetarianism in a survival situation is apparently challenging and controversial enough for some, I don't think I'll say too much more here about survival on extremely minimal amounts of ingested nourishment, or even none at all. However, it should be borne in mind that evolution is an ongoing process and certain conditions can accelerate change in humans so that what has always been possible for some may become possible for more in time and in the right conditions.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Here is another article showing that this is actually a real phenomenon:

Solar Energy - NASA To Study Man Who Lives On Liquids And Light

Sydney Morning Herald
June 30, 2003

NASA to study man who survives on liquids and sunlight

June 30 2003

An Indian man, who claims to have survived only on liquids and sunlight for eight years, has been invited by NASA to show them how he does it.

Hira Ratan Manek - also known as Hirachand - a 64-year-old mechanical engineer who lives in the southern state of Kerala, apparently started disliking food in 1992, the Hindustan Times newspaper reported.

In 1995, he went on a pilgrimage to the Himalayas and stopped eating completely on his return.

His wife, Vimla, said: "Every evening he looks at the sun for one hour without batting an eyelid. It is his main food. Occasionally he takes coffee, tea or some other liquid."

Last June, scientists from the US space agency verified that Manek spent 130 days surviving only on water, the report said.

They even named this subsistence on water and solar energy after him: The HRM (Hira Ratan Manek) Phenomenon.

Mr Manek is now in the US to show NASA's scientists how he survives without food.

The US space agency hopes to use the technique to solve food storage and preservation problems on its expeditions, the report said.

Mr Manek said he "eats through his eyes" in the evening, when the sun's ultraviolet rays are least harmful. He and his wife claim the technique is totally scientific. However, doctors warn that staring at the sun can make you blind.

His wife said: "He has a special taste for sun energy. He believes only 5 per cent of human brain cells are used by most people. The other 95 per cent can be activated through solar energy."

www.newmediaexplorer.org...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Wow. I've read a few such accounts, but had no idea NASA had investigated this. I have had steadily decreasing appetite for a few years now, although I've had regular check ups and the doctor says I'm in good health. It's like my system is increasingly rejecting all food. It's not that I vomit, but after only a couple of mouthfuls I feel full and very uncomfortably bloated for a long time afterwards. Eating normally has become impossible. If I do that, I get a strange and uncomfortable buzzing sensation in my torso - like an energy sensation - and I even start to get arrhythmia and it can take over a day to recover from such a normal meal. First my system rejected meat and steadily it seems to be rejecting all food and con no longer digest it properly. I eat very little now, often much less than would be considered feasible for considerable periods. Very strange. I'm not suffering for it and am otherwise in good health. In fact, I feel much better when I eat almost nothing, my system forces me to do this, it's not a choice. I sometimes wonder where it will lead to.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

I don't think you need to worry. I have also become quite disconnected from food recently. I still eat, of course, and I do enjoy my occasional pizza, but I've found on the whole my mindset is less about taste and pleasure of food and I eat far less. I even find it annoying if somebody talks about food too much.

In the Lemuria scrolls(I posted them in the ET forum a while ago) it says that originally we did not eat at all, we subsisted on fresh air and suns energy. It was only during the process of our devolvement did we lose that capacity and has to start eating food. There is a lot of evidence to suggest we have "devolved"

Incidentally, I was just on youtube watching a video on photoreading. The ability to read 100,000 words a min. I know we have this ability, because there have been cases of people who can do that. Photoreading aims to make this abiltiy available to everyone. We humans have amazing powers and abilities, we only have to awaken them. But to do this we need to break out of the box.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
For the kind of speed reading that you are talking about (I think either you or the video maker is exaggerating a bit) that is less of something that we have a species have and more a talent that some have. No matter how hard they try most people will be unable to achieve such things no matter how spiritual they get. Could you please provide a link to this video.

I still think that you are living in a fantasy land if you believe that you can live without taking in sustenance of physical form though.

-Cauch1

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I'm not that concerned, but it is definitely out of the ordinary and to a degree that is far from "usual". What interests me in that it seems to be progressive, so I wonder if I'll end up like Werner one day LOL. Perhaps. These are strange times IMO.

I'll have to Google photoreading, seeing as you mention it. But speaking of human potential, have you heard of Mirin Dajo? Also This Article is definitely worth reading too (Again, off topic I know, apologies. And a disclaimer - please kiddies, eat all your meals and don't impale yourself with swords etc
)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
I am vegetarian and find the concept of killing animals abhorrent. I would soon die than kill another animal. I do not want to get into a debate over vegetarian vs non vegetarianism. I would just like some real useful tips on how a vegetaian could survive out in the wlderness on wild food without consuming game. Please share any resources or book recommendations if you know any. Thank you.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Indigo_Child]

In 1972, Linda decided to homestead in the wilderness. Her ability to recognize and use wild plants added immeasurably to her successful survival. By adapting to a diet of wild vegetables, herbs, fruits and nuts, she carved out a niche for herself among women pioneers of reliance on Nature.

www.ofthefield.com...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauch1

There are loads of videos on youtube. Here is one of those which I checked www.youtube.com...

Yeah, sorry it is off-topic. Regarding surviving without food, it seems it is a real phenomenon. Perhaps you should look into it and see what you find. I would be quite interested in what you find as well.

I have found in life that the truth is always stranger than fiction. I have been surprised a lot of times on what reality is. I have gone through several paradigm shifts. So always keep yourself open to reality surprising you

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Funkydung

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

not a prob...i havent read the whole thread but i can tell ya that ive made a big change in what i eat in the last two years. i use to be completely ignorant about food and what is in it and where it comes from....speaking about processed foods and mass distributed foods...but i have had an awakening of sorts concerning food....and water. i do eat meat from time to time(organic buffalo meat @ publix is good)...but i have went completely organic for now...maybe later i will go to nothing but organic fruits and vegetables....as for the things i drink...mostly distilled water...it has no fluoride. thats the main toxic chemical that im worried about now....and no high fructose syrup....and of course im educating my 12 year old son about these things as well. and also stay away from heating foods in plastic bowls...anyway educate yourself on editable plants that are just growing everywhere that way you will have that knowledge when the time comes.....

(p.s.) can you tell me privately or here about how to get my picture back on under my name?? ive been away from ats for a while....
thanks

oh yeah check this out...i havent seen all of them but

EatTheWeeds: Episode 01: Why Learn About Wild Foods
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Funkydung]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Funkydung

Yeah, I'm also in the middle of a food awakening. I became vegetarian about 10 years ago after a relentless diet of meat. I recently have become aware of problems like "Flouride" and "processed food" and I've got myself an Ayurvedic toothpaste which has no flouride and is made out of several herb extracts - very minty. And I am starting to eat more fresh food and cut down on ready-made meals you get at the supermarket. At some point I want to go completely organic.

You can add your avatar by going to Member tools > ATS account settings
and then adding the URL of your image in the Avatar field.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I would like to mention that being a vegan hermit in the wild is indeed possible and seems relatively easy, even with a relatively small farm.

Recently I stumbled across a video about Chinese Hermits that live in some mountains of China.

The video is called Amongst White Clouds www.ashortlink.com...

[edit on 12-5-2009 by lowki]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So if I just eat all the vegetarians than that means I get all my vegetable servings in one hearty meal.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by drift393

But you still have to eat five a day

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Malcram]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join