It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspect detained over 'extremist' bumper sticker

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by DohBama

Guys I am just saying that the sticker didn't say ABORTION it said abort. One definition of abort is to terminate.

The sticker was returned and afterwards the secret service still did a walkthrough of the guys house.

I'm not saying the cop didn't overreact. I'm just saying that abort has more then one meaning.

You can jump all over me if you want. I'm just pointing out the differant meanings of the word abort and how it could be seen as a threat.

Sure, but "Abort" is a lot better than all the language surrounding Bush/Cheney for the last 8 years. I've seen people on talknews shows calling for their heads, suggesting they get roadside-bombed and everything else. I never heard of those people getting arrested.

What about the "Vote or Die" campaign.....that certainly sounds like an overt threat and was primarily a "minority" or "Democratic Party" campaign.

There are plenty of more serious threats out there than abort, and since when does a community police officer worry about the president's well-being? Was Obama in town at the time? If he was in town, I still saw hand-held signs at Bush protests that said far worse than "Abort" Bush!

Anyway, of course it has many meanings, but a sign a thousand miles from a person just doesn't seem that threatening.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

reply to post by ModernAcademia

Abort can mean terminate.

Terminate can mean to kill.

And support can mean jock strap. So if I have a bumper sticker that says "the troops deserve your support", should that be taken as a possible sexual threat?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I am sure it was an honest mistake by some Obama supporter police officer who was offended that someone didnt like his Messiah. This same guy probably had an Abort Bush sticker on his personal car for the last 8 years.

Are we really paying police officers to read bumper stickers and make judgements on whether they are a threat to national security?

I guess since some nut case bombed an abortion clinic that it could be considered a threat whenever some one has an anti abortion sticker on there car.

Once I saw a bumper sticker that said "Sure I know Jack Sh.. I married him". Does that mean the police officer should scan the terrorist watch list to make sure Jack Sh.. wasnt on it.

Its pretty sad when a police officer cant find something better to occupy his time then worrying about what some guys bumper sticker says.

I wouldnt probably ever get a bumper sticker that said Abort Obama or anything like, because I think it is disrespectful to the office of the President. I didnt think it was respectful when they did it to Bush and so I wouldnt do it to Obama, but if someone else wants to then let the cop just mutter under his breath what a butthole, like I did for the last 8 yrs.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It is A-Okay to bash Bush but thou must not deface thy Messiah! Everyone knows that.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Ok you guys are right.

Abort in no way, shape or form can possibly be seen as a threat.

Your hatred for the cops should have told me that there would be no way you guys could see both sides of the situation.

I leave you guys to bash the cops as you see fit.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I am not bashing the police. I am bashing the Police officer. I support the police. If you want some undeniable proof of my support for police please read my posts in the Naked Wizard thread.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Ok you guys are right.

Abort in no way, shape or form can possibly be seen as a threat.

Your hatred for the cops should have told me that there would be no way you guys could see both sides of the situation.

I leave you guys to bash the cops as you see fit.

I am certainly not bashing the cops. I am just pointing out that if you start letting law enforcement make judgements based on semantics, you open a nasty can of worms.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Holy Cow! I think we finally found something we can agree on. We both agree that the government shouldnt really get worked up about a bumper sticker and that we have a right to free speech.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Are you making fun of the chosen one? Are you?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Okay now I am going to have to recommend that they put you on the terrorist watch list. Making jokes at the Presidents expesnse is not acceptable ANYMORE. Dont you understand that you could hurt his feelings like that.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Yes! I must repent! I took the Lord's name in vain.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Ok I will remove my recomendation since you have seen the error of your ways and repented to the Holy One!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
We are on a path to a world that will be darker dan the middle ages.

if we don't stop what is going on George Orwell will be right.

I see that a lot of countries are busy making new laws because of some people that went mad and flipped out.

A new example

In Germany Paintball has become forbidden today after the shooting massacre at a school recently.

And there are a lot more examples like the one in this topic.

It is sad that still not enough people are waking up to stand up with us.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Grey Magic]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
It is sad that still not enough people are waking up to stand up with us.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON

www.worldnetdaily.com

A Louisiana driver was stopped and detained for having a "Don't Tread on Me" bumper sticker on his vehicle and warned by a police officer about the "subversive" message it sent, according to the driver's relative.

(visit the link for the full news article)

If this is the only reason he was stopped and detained, the police broke the law. The Constitution does not allow for this to happen so they violated his Constitutional rights. I hope he sues the town into bankruptcy. I know I would.

How about if we all order a bunch of these stickers and put them on all our cars and offer to GIVE them away.
Kind of a V for Vendetta thing...ya know?

[edit on 8-5-2009 by jfj123]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON

www.worldnetdaily.com

A Louisiana driver was stopped and detained for having a "Don't Tread on Me" bumper sticker on his vehicle and warned by a police officer about the "subversive" message it sent, according to the driver's relative.

(visit the link for the full news article)

If this is the only reason he was stopped and detained, the police broke the law. The Constitution does not allow for this to happen so they violated his Constitutional rights. I hope he sues the town into bankruptcy. I know I would.

How about if we all order a bunch of these stickers and put them on all our cars and offer to GIVE them away.
Kind of a V for Vendetta thing...ya know?

[edit on 8-5-2009 by jfj123]
I like your message in your signature. This sticker among many are targeted by the DHS as potential 'extremists'.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Let's wait for all the facts to roll in on this one. It sounds too good to be true.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This is a hard one to swallow. Cops stopping people for what is written on thier bumper stickers. Sounds to me like someone is trying to sell bumper stickers to paranoid people who believe everything they read from the National Inquirer website.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
"Don't tread on me" is the Virginia state moto. Sounds like the cops need a reality check.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Another bumper sticker incident. More and more people are getting pulled over, ticketed and jailed for different kinds of non-threatening bumper stickers and bumper snickers.

A few years ago a motorist was pulled over, fined and jailed for having a Led Zeppelin bumper sticker. Why? Because Zepp is associated with rock and roll which is associated with the drug scene.

It's getting scary because you cannot support your interests. They're expanding the "terrorist profiles" to include everyone, which of course is their goal.

People are complaining the jails and prisons are over-crowded. Well, that's 90% the governments fault. Look at the stats since 911 on people with a "wrap sheet" now. Of course when you create more laws you're gonna create more "criminals."

A wise man once said, "Useless laws weaken the necessarry laws." And that's exactly what is happening today.

People have to speak up and speak out -write everyone, write anyone and inform them of useless arrests such as this...

So I write to speak out,
Instead of wasting my breath.
Because my written words
Can still teach
Those of you who are deaf.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join