It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the hatred towards Alternative Healing?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Along with the marginal actual help that "alternative healing" does for people, compared to the real deal, a lot of the hatred comes from the practitioners and supporters taking on such a jerkish, superior, "you're an idiot for not doing this" attitude. Add to that an annoying layer of paranoia, and it's no wonder why people are turned off by it.

and vise versa

I don't act superior and every alternative healer I know insist doctors are included.

I don't charge people either,nor do I advertise.

That's not to say there are not unscrupulous charlatans out there, you find that in every profession.

edit to say
Our local hospital, one of the best in the nation has had a wellness center for ages, giving reiki treatments, it is a catholic hospital and the sisters in our area brought the technique back with them after learning it over seas.

[edit on 093131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
www.prairieheart.com...

a list from a hospital

Mind Body Medicine > >

Introductory Yoga
Yoga
Yoga at Lunch
Introductory Pilates Matwork
Pilates Matwork
First Degree Reiki
Second Degree Reiki
Tai Chi
New! Tai Chi/Qi Gong
Solution Method
Craniosacral Therapy
Biofeedback
Acupuncture
Massage Therapy

Mindfulness

Mindfulness for Healthy Living
Mindfulness Coaching
Eating Mindfully
Advanced Mindfulness Support Group
Meditation Circle

Stop Smoking...Start Living

Four-week Program

Individual Counseling
Nutrition & Weight Loss

St. John's Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery
New! Prairie SenseWear® Assessment
Eat Well, Be Well Class: 10-week Sessions
Individual Nutrition Counseling
Eat Well, Be Well: One-on-One Sessions
Eat Well, Be Well: Individual Ongoing Sessions

Fitness

Stay Fit
PVD Rehabilitation
Cardiac Rehabilitation

Screenings

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The Sickness industry is controlled by pharmaceutical giants, their products are prescribed by doctors (legalized pushers); the products/treatments may give a little relief or kill you completely. Healing is mainly achieved by rest, good diet and placebo effect (of positive mind).
Doctors (generally prefer you to get well slowly); that way they extract as much government rebates through elevated consultations, get kick-backs from Pharma. companies for recommending certain products, and extract as much money from you as possible.
Alternate treatments are always shunned until some form of medical monopoly can be established or rather, how individual treatments can be morphed into the existing monopoly. Take Pilates (Yoga), Acupuncture, Chiropractic ; these are just some of the therapies that were poo-pooed by the establishment and are now slowly being accepted. Why? They have incorporated these practices into their regime, as they make their own adjustments to give their main concern attention- The therapy of making money: Not your health

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
The Sickness industry is controlled by pharmaceutical giants, their products are prescribed by doctors (legalized pushers); the products/treatments may give a little relief or kill you completely. Healing is mainly achieved by rest, good diet and placebo effect (of positive mind).
Doctors (generally prefer you to get well slowly); that way they extract as much government rebates through elevated consultations, get kick-backs from Pharma. companies for recommending certain products, and extract as much money from you as possible.
Alternate treatments are always shunned until some form of medical monopoly can be established or rather, how individual treatments can be morphed into the existing monopoly. Take Pilates (Yoga), Acupuncture, Chiropractic ; these are just some of the therapies that were poo-pooed by the establishment and are now slowly being accepted. Why? They have incorporated these practices into their regime, as they make their own adjustments to give their main concern attention- The therapy of making money: Not your health

I cannot disagree with any of that.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I wonder if the same author would agree with this definition of quackery.

"Quackery can be broadly defined as "anything involving overpromotion in the field of health." This definition would include questionable ideas as well as questionable products and services, regardless of the sincerity of their promoters. In line with this definition, the word "fraud" would be reserved only for situations in which deliberate deception is involved."
(source:Quackwatch-Stephen Barrett, M.D.)

Then, surely, chemo therapy, as a mandatory treatment of most, if not all type of cancers, must fall within this definition. Hundreds of thousands of lives in the past decades have been lost because big pharma and the medical establishment sees fit to put profit first before saving human lives.

This dubious and overrated practice gave people the impression that this is the only effective treatment for cancer and ultimately offering false hope.

What's worst, it has been shown to lead to second cancer like leukemia. Receiving a treatment for cancer that can lead to another form of cancer. WTF?????

I am not aware of any studies to date released by the drug companies relating to the efficacy of their cherished therapy, with good reasons. However, a recent study by 3 eminent Australian oncologist found that chemotherapy contributes just over 2 percent to improved survival in cancer patients.

Full article here:www.icnr.com...
Please email this link to as many people as possible, to expose the fraud as it is.

Typically, not much was made of it by the medical cartel and the report did not receive the exposure it deserves.

Imagine if an alternative practitioner were to have the same miserable success rate, that person would be history as far as practicing is concerned. Probably serving jail time as well.

Yet the establishment has all this while been peddling this multi billion dollar fraud on the unfortunate public with the full support of governments.

Modern medicine is not about curing people, it's how much money one can make from the desperation of the unfortunate patients.

Any other safer alternative treatment regardless of it effectiveness, are typically met with the full brunt of the big pharma and medical cartel, often with the full complicity of the authorities who shares the same soiled bed.

A good case in point was the brutal closure of Pan Pharmaceutical which produces vitamins and alternative treatments by the Therapeutic Goods Administration. TGA is Australia's regulatory agency for medical drugs and devices. This resulted in thousands of jobs losses from an over the top reaction to some anomaly in the standards of the products. The whole affair reeks of the cartel's dirty hands in it.

The good news is that TGA was successfully sued for 55 millions by the owner, and I believe pending class action are being pursued by the shareholders and small retailers.

This is the only silver lining in an otherwise sordid affair.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It is a money game. The human medical society is more interested in making money. When was the last time something major, which required alot of treatment was cured? It is more profitable to put a bandaid on something than to actually cure the problem. If you look at Vetenary science and all of the animal diseases out there, how many are very similar to human diseases and how many has been cured?
I heard of a study, an actual study, where they went in took 10 of the worse arthritus patients and tried holestic medicin on. Came out that when they got back to the idea of curing, they not only alievated the disease but gave the sufferes actual relief and use of their hands back, but refused to make a big deal as they could not patent it. The stuff that did the trick, chicken cartledge, ground up and put into a glass of OJ. Stuff like that kind of makes you think about why we can cure a bull of bone loss, but can't do the same for people, or why pigs were the first to get cured of ulcers, and not humans. It boils down to money. I do not like the medical establishment and put my doctors down to the third degree, as the expectations I go into a dr's office is something they do not expect. Things like explain it to me, goes a long way. And forcing them to answer all questions, that and I am in control, and your customer so either treat me well or I will find another doctor to go to.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
the entire approach is bogus, because it is kind of hard to retreive data about practices which have been essentially forced into the underground.

quackery has bee rampant throughout history, what people don't seem to get is that they usually occupied decent positions and the mental disconnect from the often invoked 'dark ages', of bloodletting and so on, which were mainstream then and today is mind boggling.

btw. would you consider the following an 'alternative' treatment?

Tooth Regeneration

i'd say judging by the lack of availability and general silence about the issue that it is.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Anything that is not sanctioned by the FDA and AMA is considered alternative healing.

Also, my faveourite theory, WHO creates and/or spreads the disease, while the FDA makes the "cure" for it and makes billions.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by A Conscience

I am not aware of any studies to date released by the drug companies relating to the efficacy of their cherished therapy, with good reasons. However, a recent study by 3 eminent Australian oncologist found that chemotherapy contributes just over 2 percent to improved survival in cancer patients.

Hi conscience! Yes I do whole-heartedly agree that the concept of Quackery is alive and well, and waiting in a doctors surgery/hospital near you.
Talk about cancer; I often wonder how many years and trillions of dollars that will be invested into reaserch- that seems to constantly produce mariginal if no results.
You are right Chemo is crap. Chemptherapy is the collective word used to describe a whole gambit of "treatments". Funny how they normally administer it to the aged and frail, as a last ditch attempt to poison the cancer cells out of existence. Why is it given to individuals that are so hopelessly riddled with cancer?
A last grab at the wallet I say.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Any physician with any sense will recommend the treatment for a particular disease in accordance with evidence that the treatment in fact does work better than a placebo. The buzzwords in mainstream medicine are "evidence based medicine" and "standard of care." Evidence based medicine is simply medicine based on studies than have been published in peer reviewed major medical journals.

A physician is to "do no harm" first. I can't imagine a physician not recommending an alternative based treatment if there was actually evidence that it did in fact work. Evidence obtained from double-blinded, placebo controlled prospective studies. There are just not that many of these studies.

A physician must follow "standard of care" or back up his recommendations and treatments by evidence for protection from lawsuits and proper compensation. Most importantly, it is what is best for the patient with his current knowledge base. This just isn't available for many alternative treatments. In this lawsuit happy society, I believe may doctors will not go down the alternative route because it could not be easily defended in a court of law.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by AlphaTier]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
if you people refuse any kind of treatment your all fools

the best thing to do is go with what is recommended and use alternative means as they apply

ya know i was in germany visiting a med school when deciding weather to get a European med school education or american one.

there was this stain glass window of this guy who was in pain and had a headache, he was a prince or king or some noble douche.

anyways

the first pane he got leeches, that didnt work
second pane he got some kind of open brain surgery performed that didnt work
another pane he had drugs used and that didnt work
then in the last pane he turned to prayer and that worked

it just shows that pain is something indiviidual to the patient. alternative healing has its place but it wont give you a heart bypass. thing is be practical and apply it thoughtfully with the consultation of a doctor. A REAL DOCTOR NOT SOME HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT VOODOO NEW AGE CRAP! point is let your doctor know they dont want you to be in pain honestly! its not a conspiracy, and so what kickbacks for pharmaceuticals, cmon thats not new i cant wait for mine since im going GP babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

by the way i picked america cuz im on team USA!!!

USA
USA
USA
USA
USA
USA

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaTier

A physician is to "do no harm" first. I can't imagine a physician not recommending an alternative based treatment if there was actually evidence that it did in fact work.

Ahhh, if only we lived in a perfect world.
All these altruistic concepts are fine, yet rarely fruit in reality.
Even though there are indeed some physicians who try to do their best, for the majority it becomes "just-a-job".
Main problem is in western medicine is- treatments usually only work as far as masking symptoms, the treatments rarely targets the pin-point the source of disease.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777

Main problem is in western medicine is- treatments usually only work as far as masking symptoms, the treatments rarely targets the pin-point the source of disease.

This statement is inaccurate. We understand the pathology behind many diseases and followingly, the mechanism of action down to a molecular level of why treatments work. Some things, such as many cancers, we are not able to ideally target because the disease process is not fully understood.

I think comparing the leading causes of deaths in developed nations (western medicine) vs. developing nations illustrates this. Many more people die in developing nations due to communicable disease because there are no antibiotics. Western medicine doesn't just mask the fever.

Global Causes of Death

Back on topic, I certainly believe that alternative medicine can be effective. I do not believe insurance companies or big pharm are against alternative treatments financially, only because there isn't good evidence that they work. An insurance company can't pay for every snake oil treatment one thinks may work for them.

Until there are multiple large, double blinded, placebo controlled studies done that can show how and why a particular alternative medical therapy works, I don't see it being mainstream. In fact, if a procedural alternative therapy would become mainstream, I'd bet physicians would be all over it because it's a bigger money maker than just writing a prescription. Not going to happen until there's a documented benefit.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

This statement is inaccurate. We understand the pathology behind many diseases and followingly, the mechanism of action down to a molecular level of why treatments work. Some things, such as many cancers, we are not able to ideally target because the disease process is not fully understood.

Dear me, you seem to contradict yourself in the above paragraph!Shouldn't it be that- ....you can observe pathology, (just like any bufoon with a microscope), yet understanding the parameters of its cause is a completely different matter.
With this, as concured to, by yourself, with your statement about cancer; you medico's really have no idea!

On one hand you put your own back inflating your own intellectual status, whilst filling someone with drugs and treatments that you 1)wouldn't have a clue as to the effect, 2) are probably going to pass-the-buck when someone dies from it, and then 3) accept no accountability that its ever any medico's fault when someone dies...for you guys are only human

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Great thread: The very phrase 'alternative medicine' is spooky semantic programming.

It's been mentioned before but just to clarify:

Yoga: Over 5000 years
Chi Gung: Over 10,000 years
Acupuncture: 3-5,000 years
Ayurverda: 2000 years
Herbalism: Over 10,000 years, see below:
Traditional Chinese Medicine: 4-5,000 years

These numbers are in dispute, the true timeframe may be much longer.

VS

Pharmaceutical Medicine: 1-200 hundred years. New medicines being made every day, some go to market after only a few months testing.

So which is the real unproven, faddish medicine?

David Wolfe is on top of a lot of cutting edge breakthroughs in herbal research. Even though it's an old discipline we are having to rediscover a lot of things ourselves as they have been written out of the history books.

Google Video Link

Historical origins of herbal medicine, from wikipedia article on Herbalism.

People on all continents have used hundreds to thousands of indigenous plants for treatment of ailments since prehistoric times.The first generally accepted use of plants as healing agents was depicted in the cave paintings discovered in the Lascaux caves in France, which have been radiocarbon-dated to between 13,000-25,000 BC. Medicinal herbs were found in the personal effects of an "ice man", whose body was frozen in the Swiss Alps for more than 5,300 years. These herbs appear to have been used to treat the parasites found in his intestines. Anthropology or anthropologists theorize that animals evolved a tendency to seek out bitter plant parts in response to illness.

[edit on 15f20091amMon, 11 May 2009 06:45:48 -050048 by HiAliens]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

"So which is the real unproven, faddish medicine? "

So, the average life span for most of the period you cite is estimated at about 35-40 years. It's nearly doubled since we started careful, systematic pharmacological research. So, given that, which is the real unproven, faddish medicine?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

so, life expectancy can be traced to medical services exclusively, interesting.

maybe heated living space, sanitation and so on might just have a similar effect? at any rate, overdoing it cannot be good:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

oh, btw, will you revoke your statement should lif expetancy drop again?

www.newscientist.com...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

so, life expectancy can be traced to medical services exclusively, interesting.

maybe heated living space, sanitation and so on might just have a similar effect? at any rate, overdoing it cannot be good:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

oh, btw, will you revoke your statement should lif expetancy drop again?

www.newscientist.com...

If you value your fingers, don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say exclusively.

Let me guess, you think modern medicine is causing the drop in life expectancy? No? Maybe it's life styles?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

you believe medical serives contributed the lion's share, don't you?

It's nearly doubled since we started careful, systematic pharmacological research. So, given that, which is the real unproven, faddish medicine?

it nearly doubled since the advent of science based technology on a wider scale. curiously, pretty much everything from water supply to electricity was introduced during the same times if not a bit earlier.

i used a hypothetical drop to show you that such an attribution has its problems and no, i don't believe that medicine is shortening life expectancy. i simply acknowledge that technologies go through cycles and when the next best thing has been invented, they will look down upon our current state of affairs with disdain.

needless to say, changing a paradigm is an ungrateful task and i gave the example of tooth regeneration, which does not seem to make inroads outside of bleeding edge communities like professional sports.

do you have any doubts even if it was only half true that future dentistry will revolve around similar techniques, eventually?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

"it nearly doubled since the advent of science based technology on a wider scale. curiously, pretty much everything from water supply to electricity was introduced during the same times if not a bit earlier."

And the hit-or-miss shamans' bag of trick is still of interest to researchers. However, the 21 Century has more to offer than home remedies and "wonder weeds", yes?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join