It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to shoot 6,000 kangaroos

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
Havent Read throught too much of this yet, but I think they should just target practice with tranquilizer darts and ship all these creatures to africa, let them breed for a while and give all the hungry afros food... no?

No. That's not a particularly good idea. You'd basically be introducing an invasive species into an environment where it doesn't belong. There's no telling what the consequences of that would be, not to mention the logistical nightmare of capturing and relocating that many of them.

Its unfortunate that they have to cull 6,000 kangaroos, but with tens of millions of them overrunning the countryside, it isn't going to make much of a dent. I don't know what the hunting regulations are in Australia, but it sounds to me like they need to open it up a little more and see if they can't get the population of kangaroos under control.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

That was my first thought, I only hope they make good use of them.

I am an animal advocate and conservationist. which means I know that things get skewed as a result of human involvement.

we have the same problem here on the east coast US with white tail deer. They have over run the areas, and have become a very dangerous nuisance. It is now rut and there are corpses all over the roads.

and I love bambi. Which means I would rather have bambi shot and eaten then starving to death, or being crushed by a semi.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I have never been to Austrailia, but *I* have even heard enough stories to know that kangeroos can be a nightmare, they will kick your arse.

If 6k roos are a problem in one spot, they are going to be a problem in another.

shooting them is far more humane answer.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted before but this site is very interesting and detailed about the Australian Kangaroo industry with sections on enviromental impact and animal welfare. Well worth a read if you are interested. Although it may be a little outdated its still good.

Fact is i can buy Skippy at the local supermarket in Brussels so there must be some form of harvest or farming going on.

Kangaroo Industry Australia

Whilst the sustainability of pastoral activities in much of the Australian arid rangelands is under constant investigation, the fact remains that they are currently supporting a large population of kangaroos which, if uncontrolled, would seriously threaten the economic viability of the pastoral industry and the environmental sustainability of huge tracks of land (Caughley 1998). These are extremely fragile areas which can support a limited number of grazing animals. Allowing the grazing pressure from all animals to increase is one of the most serious environmental hazards in the rangelands. The kangaroo Management Plan is the only tool currently available to exercise control over the kangaroo contribution to grazing pressure.
Furthermore, the kangaroo population represents a resource. There is extensive ethical debate concerning the morality of utilising wildlife as a resource. This debate however, rarely examines the moral imperative for nations to utilise their resources to the best effect in supplying the world with the food and commodities it needs.
Over the past 40 years a significant industry has developed which utilises the kangaroo resource. Initially its focus was largely on pest control for the pastoral industries. However over the last decade there has been a growing realisation that the kangaroo industry has significant economic and environmental benefits.
The kangaroo industry currently generates in excess of $270 million per year in income and employs over 4,000 people. The vast bulk of these jobs are in remote rural communities, many of which would not exist without the industry.
This document examines the scientific evidence indicating the kangaroo harvest is sustainable and the controls in place to protect the animals it utilises.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
at the supermarkets here roo mince is $6 per kilo.
1/4 to 1/2 the reg price of chicken, beef, lamb etc.

its yummy...roo, bacon and apple patties

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join