It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to shoot 6,000 kangaroos

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I don't know how many of you watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman but his last two episodes were in Australia. One place cooked kangaroo many different ways. They should definitely butcher and store these animals instead of shooting and leaving to rot. There is a market for their meat and it could also help those that might be suffering during this global economic downturn.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Bugger, they missed one.....it's trying to get away....it's trying to swim to new zealand.....

au.todaytonight.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Here's the kicker:

Kangaroos are slaughtered to control population throughout Australia, but government agencies have been reluctant to kill the beloved national symbol around Canberra in the past 20 years because of public outcry.

Kill off a couple hundred every couple of years and no one cares.

Leave them alone for 20 years you get 6,000 out of 9,000 culled and everyone is up in arms.

Im Australian and Ive shot plenty of kangaroo's to reduce populations in rural area's. Its normal for people from other places to not understand local issues.

The kangaroos have become very prolific due to land clearance and agriculture. They are dangerous on roads, they damage crops and basically they are just over populated.

Kangaroos are sold for pet meat, or meat for human consumption (small market) and skins sometimes - but many more are culled by local farmers and just left to decompose.

People eat burgers everyday and don't complain about the thousands of cattle that are killed to provide that food - I guess kangaroos are just warm and fuzzy and evoke a more emotional response. They are an overpopulated animal that we don't get enough commercial use from to make it worthwhile to slaughter them for food and skins.

Culling is the real solution until they have a greater commercial value.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Havent Read throught too much of this yet, but I think they should just target practice with tranquilizer darts and ship all these creatures to africa, let them breed for a while and give all the hungry afros food... no?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Im Australian and Ive shot plenty of kangaroo's to reduce populations in rural area's. Its normal for people from other places to not understand local issues.

The kangaroos have become very prolific due to land clearance and agriculture. They are dangerous on roads, they damage crops and basically they are just over populated.

Kangaroos are sold for pet meat, or meat for human consumption (small market) and skins sometimes - but many more are culled by local farmers and just left to decompose.

People eat burgers everyday and don't complain about the thousands of cattle that are killed to provide that food - I guess kangaroos are just warm and fuzzy and evoke a more emotional response. They are an overpopulated animal that we don't get enough commercial use from to make it worthwhile to slaughter them for food and skins.

Oh right, so the Kangaroos are overpopulated not the humans in the area, lol. Humans try to live in fertile lands and so do kangaroos, when you understand this maybe you will understand that instead of just killing animals you need to learn to cohabitat with the animals and if you cant... modify your communities a lil better. This is how exstinction begins, ignorance of our relation to the animals and planet... then just slowly destroying what we need to so we can thrive, then we become overpopulated ourselves and kill each other but indoing so we kill the planet... whats next?

[edit on 24-5-2009 by rjmelter]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter

Oh right, so the Kangaroos are overpopulated not the humans in the area, lol. Humans try to live in fertile lands and so do kangaroos, when you understand this maybe you will understand that instead of just killing animals you need to learn to cohabitat with the animals and if you cant... modify your communities a lil better. This is how exstinction begins, ignorance of our relation to the animals and planet... then just slowly destroying what we need to so we can thrive, then we become overpopulated ourselves and kill each other but indoing so we kill the planet... whats next?

[edit on 24-5-2009 by rjmelter]

There are two things wrong with your response.

1. It requires humans to take responsibility for their actions.

2. It requires humans to alter their lifestyle in a way that may require that "they" have to sacrifice something.

You must be either and alien and an indigenous or you would see the error of your ways.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
All you people saying catch them, relocate them ect have clearly never had to deal with a roo, they are in my opinion one of the most dangerous animals in Australia, their right up there with the crocs.
Ever walked up to a wild roo and tied to pat it like you see in the movies? No of course you haven't, if you had you wouldn't be around to tell the story. You go anywhere near a wild roo it will lean back using its tail to stand, lift it's back legs off the ground and tear your guts open. There dangerous animals and they should never have been allowed to grow to the numbers they are at now. I'll put some links in here so you can see how much of a problem these little bastards really are and how much damage they can do.

This one was taken at a wildlife park, these roo's are use to people being up close and feeding them like this, there were a few baby roo's around that's the most likely reason for the attack. This is a very small attack, not a bad one at all.
www.youtube.com...

News story of a roo jumping though a window in the middle of the night.

"A Canberra man was forced to wrestle a badly injured kangaroo out of his house after it jumped through a window and landed on his bed in the middle of the night."
www.abc.net.au...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Slightly off topic, but this is a nice story!!!!!

2 escaped wallabys mate in the UK having escaped from different locations, incredible!!!!

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I know it sounds bad, killing 6,000 roo's but I live in Canberra and I've personaly seen many roo's starving. To know that killing a few will in the long run keep the majority around the Canberra healthy and at a sustanible population for the area. Now just to give you guys some numbers take a look at the link below, there are 5.9 million roo's in NSW alone so killing 6000 out of the 5.9 million... I know sounds bad. But how would you like to see thousands of starving animals around your city? Isn't it more crule to let these poor beasts starve?

Roo Numbers in NSW

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SG-1-9er

That last link you posted about the roo jumping in the window. That happened to a guy living just down the street. It wasn't really the roo's fault, we back onto a wildlife corridor. Anyway think about it, a roo travels along at 40kmph (25mph) or up to 70kmph (44mph) in a hurry. Anyway just think about it, they are cursing along at say 40 dodging trees only hitting the ground every few meters. So what I'm getting at is lots of speed and snap decisions on which angle to jump trying to avoid trees. Anyway the bedroom window was near the back of the house with nothing but a few meters and a small/low wire fence to keep snakes and things out. So what we all think happened was the roo was just cursing along in the dark, took a wrong turn and literally came face first with the window. Its a story that he tells to every new person he meats. Pretty good bar story though.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter

If you had nothered reading the thread you would understand that the Roo population has exploded due to human activity, namely the clearing of land. Therefore there is a massive overpopulation and they have to be culled, what don't you understand about that ?
Also, you jsut can't eat wild kangaroo meat because of all the parasites. Meat sold is specially farmed.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hopefully people realize that Kangaroos don't really have any major predators to keep their numbers in check. They are almost a pest in areas. Without intervention from man nowadays, their numbers will increase to levels that are unsustainable and then crash.

That the local government didn't cull them for 20 years speaks of poor wildlife management. If we were to do that in Michigan, not hunt deer for 20 years, do you realize how many deer would be around with no predators to trim their numbers?

For those that say relocate, first catch 6,000 Roo's, then figure out where to put them where they won't grow to 9,000 in a few years. Oh, and figure out how to pay for all of that. Maybe the government can cut your pension to save those Kangaroos.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
unbelieavable!

they kill 6,000 roos However....

Police charge man after kangaroos shot with arrows

Police arrested a man Wednesday for animal cruelty after he allegedly shot two kangaroos with arrows near Australia's second-largest city and left them to die.

Nonprofit animal rescue group Wildlife Victoria posted a 10,000 Australian dollars ($7,600) reward last week for information leading to the arrest of the attacker.
sify.com...

What??????

So if the govt. kills 6000 of them it's ok, but if a civlians kills 2 then......

This is the highest form of hypocrisy i've seen in a while!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Bird flu, Swine flu...now what? Kangaroo flu? The Corky-Influenza?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

It was ok for the government because some believe that the roos were sick from grazing on contaminated government land. They didn't want that getting out cos they were supposedly wanting to sell it to a developer for housing developments. All heresay mind you. But organizations and individuals offered to remove the roos at no cost and the govt. knocked back the offers. It was all very sus.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I remember this thread, and I remember your ignorance!

I guess the 8 pages and several months haven't improved your issues....

Culling is done as humanely as possible, whereas the pricks who shoot at animals for no reason but to cause pain and suffering need the book thrown at them, or better still a few arrows launched their way.

You cannot for one minute compare the two.

[edit on 5/11/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
People...people... settle down...
Firstly, roos cannot be herded onto a truck. It's impossible. That instantly defeats the relocation argument. It just cannot be done, and there is no where that could support an influx of 6000 roos anyway. In fact there is no where in Oz that wants more roos than it already has to deal with.

Here in victoria a while back the army got hunters in at Puckapunyal army base to shoot the roos and was critised for not letting the soldiers do the shooting. Now the army decided to let the soldiers do the shooting and they are critised for not letting hunters in to do it... Go figure...

The fact is there are very many areas in Australia where it is nearly impossible to drive without hitting a roo at dusk. They must be thinned out to ensure their own survival rather than let them all starve to death.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
You still on about this?

If you had any sort of understanding of the Australian law system, landscape, etc, etc.... wait.....nevermind.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

A few weeks ago I had my closest call with regards to hitting a roo in my car. It wasn't too dangerous, but when they leap across the freeway about fifty odd metres ahead, you wonder which way they're going to bounce while you're stepping on the brake pedal.

The main crime in this country is that the roos are not being farmed. Culling them is a waste of resources, unless they are sick or diseased.

As for the 'Rambos' who want to hunt them, they're no different from other people who torture any other animals for kicks. Convential punishment probably wouldn't work for them... unfortunately.

There's a moral difference in this case - would you kill an animal for a reason? Yep, I would and I have. Would you hunt an animal just to torture it for kicks? Most people would say no.

Most people wouldn't think twice about setting a mouse trap, killing for a reason. We don't want to catch them in a box and slowly stick pins into them... right?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
d00d we have like 40 million kangaroos in australia.

We just went past the 22 million australian mark. nearly a 2:1 difference. They just outnumber us soo much. ;-P

poor 6000 kangaroos. Gunna end up as dog meat feeding our pets probably... And if not, then feeding the other wildlife. get over it

[edit on 5-11-2009 by DaRAGE]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join