It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to shoot 6,000 kangaroos

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
look at the huff that gets kicked up over a kangaroo.

An animal welfare group has expressed outrage at a spate of cross bow arrow attacks on kangaroos in outer northern Melbourne .

Kangaroos attacked with crossbow arrows

i can understand when the animal is left alive and sufferin, but this article would have been brought up because the culling issue being raised in canberra.
i see about 3 new kangaroos splattered up the 55km stretch of road i drive to work everyday. oooohhh pretty colours.

[edit on 9/5/09 by spearhead]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Viral

We have to thank our English ancestors for that.

And for even being here, thanks, I guess

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
This makes me sick.
And anyone who tries to rationalize this is just a flaming moron.
These animals deserve to be here more then anyone of us.
I hope in some point in these peoples lives and the people who ordered this to be done feel some kind of great pain and loss as it seems people who have not suffered or felt anything besides their materialistic wants and needs do not have the capacity for empathy or the ability to care for LIFE.

It would be VERY VERY simple to tranquilize these animals and relocate them and or possibly send them to reservations and even zoos.
Anyone who says it isn't possibly simply doesn't know what they are talking about, it is done every day in Africa and all over the world to just simply tack animals and done it with much larger numbers then this, the simply do not want to spend the time money and effort to do this, it's sick.

They have things like this in New Jersey all the time for Geese and Deer, I remember one of the guys shot one of the other ones and I can't say he didn't get what he deserved.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pop_science

It is disgusting, killing animals

Animals are innocent, unlike some people.

I would rather kill terrible humans than kill animals.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

even zoos.

not sure about you but i'd rather be hit in the head with a fast flying piece of lead then spend my days being poked anf gorked at.

living my life being constantly badgered by inconsiderate tourists, flashing my eyes and pulling my tail seems a tad bit less appealing than a painless, unknowing end.
ever been to australia zoo?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Kangaroos shouldn't be culled - they should be FARMED.

We don't need bloody cows and sheep screwing up our native landscape. Introduced, domesticated farm animals have been a disaster to our natural wildlife and taken their toll on soil erosion.

Kangaroos thrive in our natural habitat. It's a waste that they are culled and not farmed for their meat and leather.

I can't believe some of the reactions that people have in this thread about 'killing animals'. Remember that when you're eating your hamburgers - the meat you bought from the supermarket reached there via the slaughterhouse first!

[edit on 9-5-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Obviously you have not read one single post on this thread. I would suggest you do so, and look at the big picture. So are you against population control of gators too? My suggestion to you will be the same to the OP. If you say it's so easy and you have the perfect solution, go out there yourself, round up them roos and then figure out what to do with them.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
here's an idea
dart them with a sleeping dart

You have no idea how tough it can be to shoot a kangaroo, do you? I take it that you've never aimed a gun at one of them.

and ship them to one of the zillions of unhabitated islands on earth
whatever happens while they are there, let nature take it's course

I also it take it from these two sentences that you're not thinking of the logistics involved. Your 'solution' is nothing more than an illogical pipe-dream. It creates more problems than it can ever solve and is a complete waste of resources.

Come visit Australia and see for yourself what a mob of kangaroos looks like and you might think differently...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Just curious, is that meat going to be exported ?

Obviously there is a profit side to this little target practice.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The way i see it if nature wants kangaroos to breed like rabbits that is what they are supposed to do.

Oh i forgot the evolution people forget about evolution when it suits.

Its like the grey and red squirrel in uk, the red is virtually gone now, thats life.

Why not let them go the way they are, as thats what is supposed to happen.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
Well. My textbook answer is this: Once the population is brought down to a number that the system can support, there should be an effort to control their reproduction.

edit to add: after reading my post, I thought it sounded like some evil illuminati plot. honest, i'm on YOUR side.

Sure you are.
I know your type. You just want to begin practice with shooting Skippies, then move onto extinguishing Ozzies, and finally you'll get round to your real goal, horripillating Humans.

Just remember, you wanna go shooting down under, you gotta learn how ta bend over and shoot backways between your legs.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Why don't we just let nature take it's course.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't a Human.

But perhaps a man-eater....

A lion? or a Shark?

Gator?

hmmm...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The way i see it if nature wants kangaroos to breed like rabbits that is what they are supposed to do. Why not let them go the way they are, as thats what is supposed to happen.
I agree, however, we're not keeping our end of the deal by letting them live, unchecked.

If they are meant to breed like they do, then we should be shooting them and eating them to keep them in check! Nature provided us with the kangaroo as a food source, so we have to play our part and keep the balance.

Pass me some more bullets and a bottle of sauce. Yummy!

[edit on 9-5-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Oh i did not think aussies ate kangeroos, in that case your right, your not keeping your end of the bargain.

Still think they should be let do what they want.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pop_science

It would be VERY VERY simple to tranquilize these animals and relocate them and or possibly send them to reservations and even zoos.

I'm sorry but no it wouldnt. There are FAR too many of them .

As I said before , I dont like the idea of culling but I really do not see anything else we can do at this stage. The land where they are just cannot support them. Moving them to another place will just perpetuate the problem.

And in reply to others in the thread - yes kangaroo is fabulous eating. It really is . But the potential problem with wild kangaroo is that they can harbour diseases that dont go away through cooking.

The kangaroo that is consumed by humans, as I understand it, is usually tested out for these.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
What I find amusing is that all the hateful posts concerning those that support the cull have come from non Aussies. i.e people who have no idea at all concerning the scope and nature of the problem... But hey.. it's a free world and they're free to exercise their stupidity and faux conservationism. Just make sure your bum doesn't get stuck on that armchair!

Of course there are non Aussies here that understand the issue from living in wilderness environments that encounter similar problems so please don't think I'm referring to you.

IRM

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I'm a flaming moron?

Well, here come the eco-nazi's jumping in and blindly repeating anything they have heard. I used to be an eco-nazi, until I learned that they make up their own facts.

I did a search through the many ecological journals that I have access to and cannot find any study that shows if there are too many kangaroo's or not enough. I found a few dozen presenting ways to control the population of kangaroo's, which hints at maybe there are too many of them. Anyways, someone have some reference to a legitimate scientific journal showing that the populations are out of control?

If there are too many, it is in their best interest to be culled.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Based on some articles I've read about this the bit about "protection of endangered plants and insects" isn't the full story but its the one that is being reported most often by the media. Go figure.

Estimates are some 5000 kanagroos in this area have already died - due to starvation.

Roo Starvation

The uncontrolled population has overgrazed the Majura Training Area to such an extent that a report suggests up to 5000 eastern grey kangaroos have starved to death.

The Canberra Times understands Defence Department land managers are demoralised no action was taken after they reported to Defence that it needed to manage the population.

In 2008, Defence contracted the culling of 514 kangaroos at its Belconnen Naval Transmission Station.

Defence and the ACT Government said the cull was needed to protect native grassland and threatened species on the site, and to prevent the kangaroos from starving. It took place almost a year after Defence concluded overgrazing was a problem.

ACT RSPCA chief executive officer Michael Linke said the RSPCA was disgusted that Defence had allegedly allowed animals to starve if the report proved correct.

''To think that Defence have allegedly allowed kangaroos to starve is reprehensible. It borders on mismanagement and incompetence,'' Mr Linke said.

''If Defence have allowed that, despite the advice and information that we've provided them in the past two years, it just shows a total lack of regard for animal welfare.

Apparently they have known there were too many kangaroos for the land to support for some time. Through inaction they've allowed the problem to get to its current state.

I would think that either culling or relocation of some (if possible) would be better than starvation.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Frogs]

Just out of curiosity......how were their numbers managed before man interfered?

Kudzu, Milfoil, Bufo, Rabbits, Walking Catfish and a slew of other invasives; every time that man thinks that he has a better way to handle nature he make one huge uncorrectable mess.

And they "never" learn.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Animals>>>>>>Humans

Let nature take it's course from another life form from which we can learn from.

So many barbarians in this thread

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Just out of curiosity......how were their numbers managed before man interfered?
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

They had more predators. I know that dingo's do not have the same population as they did before western man's arrival. If an animals predator is taken from the picture, it will quickly overpopulate it's environment. Overpopulation is not good for any animal.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by tamusan]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join